newtothisnj

did I do this right?

So I started green beans like 10 days ago indoors. Today I decided to pick out the tall healthy looking ones and replant them in bigger pots with organic soil. Was it stupid to replant them? Did I waste my time replanting them indoors? Sorry to ask so many questions I'm a first time gardener

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Beans and cucumbers are the two of the many things I direct sow into the ground. Once the ground is warm enough to do so, that is. My cucumbers and pole beans are just starting to hit the trellis they will climb on and have been in the ground for a couple weeks now. However, I live in New Orleans and not New Jersey.

newtothisnj

We have had some great weather for the area. That being said this weekend is suppose to be low 60's and 50's and raining the whole weekend. I was gonna put them in the ground but then seen weather pattern and lower temps.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

newtothisnj wrote:We have had some great weather for the area. That being said this weekend is suppose to be low 60's and 50's and raining the whole weekend. I was gonna put them in the ground but then seen weather pattern and lower temps.
It rained here for the past 3 days but our temperatures have been in the low 80's daily and mid 70's at night. But I can see it is going to be a long, hot summer again this year.

newtothisnj

Can't really complain about the nice weather we have been having. It's nice to have sunny warm days knew the tempts would drop a bit didnt think it would keep up all of march. Think on monday I might start putting stuff in the ground but you spoke of trellis how do they work.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I did both cukes and beans inside I think the biggest thing is there roots need space to dig so repot big. And later when your soil is warm replant some seeds into the ground for back up.
Why can't you start them inside is cause they get root bound?

applestar
Mod

Plenty of people grow vegetables in containers, so as long as you plant them in large enough containers, you CAN grow them to maturity.

Most of the time, reason against starting inside is that they either have brittle thick roots or fine roots that break easily or tend to grow incredibly long tap root eary on in growth. Even if you manage not to break the roots, you can't plant the tap roots and side roots to the depth and width they were intended to grow, ending up with scrunched up roots in the planting hole.

Also, most of the vegs that are recommended against starting inside need lots and lots of sun -- FULL sun. They may also benefit from the huge fluctuation in temperature between day in direct sunlight and night, including the high temp. These are near impossible to provide inside.

So you end up with wimpy starts. Then having their roots broken or disturbed sets them back and sometimes they don't recover, or by the time they do recover, seeds that were directly sown in the ground have grown as big or have overtaken them.

So what's the point of all that effort?
Well, sometimes you want to grow things that require longer time to grow to maturity than you have growing days for. Then you HAVE to start the inside and give them extra-heroic care to give them a head start. But fast growing beans, cukes, and summer squash don't seem worth the effort.

Oh, some people get the jump on summer squash and zukes because they want to get them to harvest size before the SVB'S and squash bugs arrive and destroy them all.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”