jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Charleston Gray Watermelon

Yes, I have seed. I will send you a packet of 25 seeds for a SASE.

Lofthouse
Box 103
Paradise, Utah 84328-0103

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/melon_cut.jpg[/img]

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/melons_wagon.jpg[/img]
Last edited by jal_ut on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

lemonlily53
Newly Registered

hi, I would sure like some watermelon seeds, need your name and address where to send sase? thanks d

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A couple have taken me up on this. I added a couple of pics to my post.
I still have seed.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Those look great Jal. I wish I had room I would take you up on that.

Thanks for sharing your seed with others. :clap:

Wilburos

Just wondering; what is SASE?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

SASE = Stamped Self-Addressed Envelope.

You send a SASE to the person offering the seeds, so he/she doesn't have to bear the cost of providing the envelopes and postage, plus the time involved in filling out the addresses. :)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Jal-UT, I will send a SASE. If you are out of seeds by the time it gets there, maybe you can hold onto it for next year :lol:

Moshu

Do you have and 'cream of saskatchewan watermelon'?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I just mailed the SASE. I see I forgot to thank you for this generous offer in my first post. Thanks!

Intriguedbybonsai

I've never seed swapped before, so I'm very new to this. I'm curious on how this seed swapping works, and the SASE thing.

Do I just mail a stamped envelope to the seed exchanger's address with another stamp, and an empty envelope included? Assuming we're all good people here, how do I know I will get something in return? :P

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK for the newcomers, an SASE is a self addressed stamped envelope. You just address an envelope to your self, put a stamp on it, and put it in another envelope and mail it to the person who is offering seed. It will cost you two stamps and two envelopes to get the seed. You don't need to send any seed for this watermelon offer.

On a swap, you simply mail your seed to the other party and they mail you some seed in return. You can make arrangements in the private messaging department.

How do you know if you will get anything? You don't. You can assume we have fine people on this forum and go for it in faith, or not, your choice.

BTW, Stella, your seed is in the mail.
Do you have and 'cream of saskatchewan watermelon'?
No.

Luria

I've trade seeds with some people and sent SASE and even a money transfer to others and up until now everyone has been very nice and responsible. I think people that are into seed sharing are very serious. In my case I've always received way more than what I expected. There are really some great people over here.

Intriguedbybonsai

Thank you, jal_ut! I got the seed packets today. :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I still have some watermelon seed left.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Jal_UT, I am too excited! My neighbor built me a cold frame, just for your Charleston Grays! He put it out in front of my car yesterday, and it is beautiful. Given the warm weather we are having, I'm seriously thinking about starting some of those seeds inside today. You gave me plenty of seeds to play with, so I have nothing to lose.

I've never used a cold frame before. I suspect I need to cover it when it snows, but I think it should keep the plants warm down to about 20 or 25.

I keep thinking of the melon you are holding in your avatar photo! If you can do that in Utah, by golly, I can do it in Wyoming, right?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Well it is certainly worth a try. I planted ten watermelon seeds in a cup just to test germination. Of ten I have 7 seedlings. Now I am wondering if I could plant a couple of them in a wall-o-water and have them survive? I would not usually plant watermelon seed outdoors until mid May.

Any way, for what its worth, that is 70% germination I got on those seeds from the same lot yours was from.

cinnie0

Do you still have seeds available for sase?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Well it is certainly worth a try. I planted ten watermelon seeds in a cup just to test germination. Of ten I have 7 seedlings. Now I am wondering if I could plant a couple of them in a wall-o-water and have them survive? I would not usually plant watermelon seed outdoors until mid May.

Any way, for what its worth, that is 70% germination I got on those seeds from the same lot yours was from.
70% is plenty good enough for me. I only need 3 plants, and you gave me about 15 seeds. (I didn't count them, but that's what it looks like :roll: )

If my neighbor hadn't built me the cold frame, I would have gone with a Wall O' Water. I've had really good luck with those in the past. The only problem I've had is that when they do freeze, which takes temps below 20, they tend to break their seams and collapse once they thaw.

I just finished planting radishes and peas. It's 70+ out there right now, so there's no real need to give them the extra week for a traditional April 1 planting. My next project is to plant Eric's Music garlic, if it's still good, and then begin preparing the watermelon bed. At the very least, I want to get some black plastic laid down so the soil can start warming up.

If this weather sticks around, I plan to plant those watermelons by mid-April. This is the year I won't have to wait until the end of September, if that, to eat a watermelon :clap: They just don't taste right when the wind is howling and the temps are in the 40s.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Do you still have seeds available for sase?
Yes, I still have seeds.

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”