Enginerd

Red Solo Cups for tomato up-potting?

OK so the cup doesn't have to be red, but the song makes it more fun. :D

Are regular 16oz plastic cups big enough for up-potting tomatoes? I always drill a hole in the bottom (or burn one with a lighter but BE CAREFUL) to allow for drainage, AND it doesn't make me feel so bad when I give tomato plants away and don't get the "pots" back.

And is clear plastic be bad? Is the algae that grows inside harmful? It's fun monitoring root growth, but should I switch from clear to colored?

Perhaps red? :lol:

Tonio
Green Thumb

Algae? that is a sign of being too wet, is there algae growing in the root zone? Try a chamomile tea to conbat it.

I have the translucent blue ones, and it doesn't seem to effect the plants. Actually kind of interesting seeing how fast they grow when up potted.

T

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The red ones are PARTY ONLY cups. Never use a red with a plant.

Just kidding. I have no idea if the color makes a differance but I would say that it does not.

I also know a guy who sells tomatoes to resteraunts. He swears by Solo cups WITHOUT holes. I am not so down with the no drainage idea. But he does alright with a thousand variety's and about 7000 plants. So..................

Tonio
Green Thumb

Solo cups without drainage holes?? Yikes :shock:

I have a hard enough time with holes :lol:
pfft, but if he's doing 7000 plants, he must have some great experience :wink: Can't argue w/ that.
T

applestar
Mod

I can't believe he doesn't put holes in them :shock:

I think a lot of people make the mistake of not making enough holes or holes that are too small. I put at least six 3/8"-1/4" holes in smaller cups, eight in larger ones like 16 oz. I also punch holes up the sides with deeper cups.

barnhardt9999

I start mine in solo cups about half full of dirt. When I want to "up pot" them I just shut off the light for a day, let them stretch for the sun a little and then dump more dirt in. I start 3 seeds to a cup and thin out to 1 plant per cup. I take them strait from the original cup to the garden. Might not be the ideal way, but its quicker and cleaner than re-potting.

Enginerd

Chamomile! Thanks Tonio! I might give it a try if I see too much green goo showing up around the roots.

I also really like your suggestion Barnhardt for "up-potting" without a new pot. Brilliant and a real timesaver!

Thanks, everyone!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I am in the process right now of up-potting my tomato seedlings into the red plastic cups (with a bunch of drainage holes). They are outgrowing the 3" pots and my light set up.

Garf
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:The red ones are PARTY ONLY cups. Never use a red with a plant.

Just kidding. I have no idea if the color makes a differance but I would say that it does not.

I also know a guy who sells tomatoes to resteraunts. He swears by Solo cups WITHOUT holes. I am not so down with the no drainage idea. But he does alright with a thousand variety's and about 7000 plants. So..................
If you put a PRECISE amount of water in each cup, it will work.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/seedlings2.jpg[/img]

Tonio
Green Thumb

Nice RG !!, mine were about that size, put in the bed last weekend. :D

cshell1958
Newly Registered

Nice... how old is this one?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Planted the tomato seeds 2/17, took the picture 4/5, so 6 weeks I guess.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Sounds like time to harden off eh?

T

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah. They been hardening off and I think that particular plant is in the ground already. It had already been outside hardening when I brought it back in to take its picture.

HOWEVER, it got down to 32 last night and is predicted for 31 tonight. I always hate this time of year! So the tomatoes in the ground are covered and 6 trays of tomatoes peppers and basil came back in AGAIN - I swore last time they came in would be the last, but not so....

Tonio
Green Thumb

Yeah, I hated having to schlep in/out. Such a PITA.
We don't get low here, but I was sweating it for my chiles earlier, when it got under 50.

We are getting some rain now - woo hoo!!

Geibel49
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:I am in the process right now of up-potting my tomato seedlings into the red plastic cups (with a bunch of drainage holes). They are outgrowing the 3" pots and my light set up.

Geibel49
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:I am in the process right now of up-potting my tomato seedlings into the red plastic cups (with a bunch of drainage holes). They are outgrowing the 3" pots and my light set up.

Rainbow Gardener, I loved your quote, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed it

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:D all good! Glad you liked it!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”