newtothisnj

I'm using humus and manure

I tilled my spot out the other day 30 ft by 30 ft was wondering how much humus n manure id need I put in about 400 lbs already of garden pro humus n manure didnt seem like enough what so ever was alsp wondering is it a good or bad idea mixing cow manure in with the already laid out humus n manure

applestar
Mod

The usual advise is 1-2" layer spread and worked into the soil in some way. ...but it would depend on existing condition of the ground and soil composition, quality of compost and composted manure, and what you intend o grow there.

newtothisnj

Aiming for snow peas green beans cantaloupes watermelons tomatoes peppers previous conditions werent horrible but werent great just grass growing there really and is it bad idea to mix cow manure in with the humus an manure I already put in thank you in advance for ur advice

vermontkingdom

Is this fresh cow manure or well aged? If the latter, it will be great. If the former, I wouldn't do it.

applestar
Mod

You don't want too rich soil where you sow peas and beans. They don't germinate well and rot. You want to enrich the soil a little further away so their roots will find it after they start to grow vigorously. If it's an area that never grew peas or beans before, it IS a good idea to get peas/beans inoculant which is a black powder of beneficial bacteria that will symbiotically grow with them to accumulate nitrogen in root nodules. Mix them with the pea seeds with a little water, keep them out of sunlight and cover with soil right away when planting.

You should sow the peas NOW, especially with the unseasonably warm weather we're having. If you soak the peas and pre-germinate them first, they'll sprout in a week to 10 days instead of closer to two weeks.
Now is also the time to also sow radish, lettuce, arugula, carrots, turnips, beets, Swiss chard, kohlrabi. Plant started plants of cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.

Seed potatoes can be planted first week of April.

Tomatoes and Peppers shouldn't get too much nitrogen (manure) because then they end up growing a lot of leaves and vine but won't flower/fruit as well. Started hardened off tomato plants can be planted in the garden around First of May though first weekend of May is safer.

You DO want richer soil for canteloupes and watermelons. So you might want to work in the extra composted/aged manure where you plan to grow those. They normally won't be sown until at least after Mothers Day. -- Well, watermelons can be seed sown first weekend of May-Mothers Day. Beans can be sown on Mothers Day - Memorial Day. Cantaloupes shouldn't be sown before Mothers Day and Peppers plants shouldn't go out until after Mothers Day.

If you buy started plants, you may need to wait a week after those dates to plant them in the ground. (but sow beans directly in the ground)

All this is for southern NJ areas and you need to wait another week for northern NJ areas.

newtothisnj

thank you for all that information very helpful I will def use it and I already started tomatoes snow peas and green beans just to see where id get indoors out of the 68 I plants (lost some cause of a puppy german shepard so have like 50 left 25 are starting to sprout) and vermontkingdom its been compost an aged I'm sure bought it at the local lowes it says on bag composted humus and manure

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Somebody buy this poster some capital letters and a few periods! :wink:

newtothisnj

don't need them but thanks

newtothisnj

thanks for your input thought really helpful tox

SOB
Green Thumb

newtothisnj wrote:don't need them but thanks
Don't mean to be mean :wink: but it is much easier for people to understand your post and help you if we can understand what you are saying. Like toxcrusadr said, some punctuation would make this a lot easier on us...

With that said, I want to help but I cant tell if some times you are asking a question or making a statement.

applestar
Mod

newtothisnj wrote:thank you for all that information very helpful I will def use it and I already started tomatoes snow peas and green beans just to see where id get indoors
Having started tomatoes is great! make sure to give them plenty of light. Look in Seed Starting forum for good advice.

Greenbeans -- well it'll be a good practice and beans are easy to sprout. If bush beans, you might even get some to harvest size as long as you plant them in big containers early enough and, again, give them LOTS of light.

Snowpeas -- you should sow them outside NOW. If your peas have already sprouted, very gently transplant them. If they have not sprouted yet, pick a spot, dig a trench and dump them out of the pots into the trench approx 1" deep. Keep them watered. You are nearly out of time for spring planting of peas unless we get an unseasonably cool late spring/early summer in reverse of the unseasonably warm winter/early spring.

newtothisnj

Thank you again apple. Sorry just hard in some cases to use capitals and periods because I post alot from my phone and it cuts the screen off. I will def try to use them more since you explained it in a nicer manner sob.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Hey, I used a smiley, I was not trying to be rude. Actually the other posters offered such great advice that it was all I had. 8)

newtothisnj

Oh sorry then my apologies didnt mean to sound like a jerk. I was just hoping to find great advice which I did an also not easy to tell when its in text how someone means something. Again sorry I misunderstood what you said.

applestar
Mod

Sorry about stealing your thunder, tox 8)
I know you've done extensive research on compost and composted manure and have much to offer. Newtothis may still need your help.

Newtothis appears new to forums as well, but I'm sure it won't take long to get the hangof it. :wink:

Happy gardening, everyone! :D

newtothisnj

Yes I'm very new to this laid about 960 lbs of manure down. In my 30 ft by 30 ft garden tilled it twice. Just seems like some is still hanging out on the top will this hurt my plants? Should I try to keep working it in the soil?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

As long as it is well composted stuff it will not hurt your plants to have some on the surface. In fact, compost can be used as a mulch or side-dressing to feed plants and keep weeds down during the growing season.

newtothisnj

Thanks tox

Return to “Composting Forum”