PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

1st time strawberry grower need help

Hi,

So I went crazy at Home depot and bought one of those upside down strawberry planters. I also bought 4 pots of strawberries, which have 2 plants in each pot. I bought 3 varieties; Sequoia, Ozark Beauty, and (2) quinalt.

I don't know much about strawberries but was hoping I would get the kind that would produce berries all year. I bought a bag of organic miracle gro potting soil.

I would like to transplant them soon. But before I do that want to get some tips from you guys like the basics. You know, type of soil, amount of sun, pruning and transplanting tips, and pests to look out for, etc.

Thanks

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=229265#229265]Here's[/url] a thread from three months ago with a detailed response from one of our members with expertise in growing fruits. It's only one of 102 hits I got from my Search of the forum on the key words "grow strawberries." :wink:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

all three of those varieties are everbearing, so you did well there.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I almost feel like scrapping this project. It was an impulse buy. The main reason is the upside down planter is a hassle to set up. It has these wires that are connected and this hook goes through the loop. And you are supposed to drill this hook into something to hang. I don't have anything to really hang it from. Maybe I can get a pot like this

[img]https://www.gardencentreonline.co.uk/admin/ProductImages/PNI108-Lets-Grow-Strawberries-and-Herbs-strawberries_600.jpg[/img]

Do these work well?

The upside down planter has 15 slots. And it even says you can put 2 plants per slot if you wanted and have a total of 30 strawberry plants. Can strawberry plants be grown that close together? The upside down planter hold about 16 quarts of soil too.[/url]

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

The pot looks plastic idk about that but the taracotta will soak up some water. Also don't get the strawberries wet. I think they like nice soft loose soil. My friends has had his speard out if his pot over the edge and into the ground. They over 8 years old. I'm lucky he gave me some.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

But if they are grown in pots just in this style will they grow stunted?

Return to “All Other Fruit”