Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Cacti from seeds

I just bought a packet of mixed Cacti seed.
I also bought 9 tiny clay pots.
I have cactus and aloe vera growing well, that I bought long ago.

My question is on starting them from seeds...
What kind of results can I expect?
Should I germinate these in a dome with humidity like you would other seeds?
Would it hurt to just start them in the tiny clay pots?
I often transplant offsets to the little clay pots, never had seeds before..

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would not plant the seeds in the pots. I would start them in a flat of some type. The reason for that is that you are using mixed seeds. That means you'll be growing several different types, some of which will sprout very quickly, but others of which will take much longer. Using flats, you'll be able to very gently lift out the newly sprouted cacti seedlings (I like to use the pointed end of a plastic plant marker for this purpose) and plant them in the pots. I think I would just transplant them to a separate flat, however, and wait until they're a little larger to put them in the pots. That's just my own opinion, though, so others may prefer other techniques. :)

You may need to use a cover/humidity dome of some type, but fungal infections, such as damping off, can present a major problem when starting cacti from seed. (I find myself fighting too much humidity in my home during the winter and spring months, so I never cover seeds of any kind when germinating them. I find I have better control if I just use a fine mist sprayer to keep the soil surface just barely moist. Your situation may be different, however, so use the covers if you need to. :) ) You will want to get your little baby cacti out of the humid environment as soon as you can, which will be impossible if you do the germination in the pots.

You may also need to use something as a source for bottom heat. I use old heating pads, set on the lowest temperature, for this, but I also have an old waterbed heater which works extremely well when set on its lowest temperature.

Here is a [url=https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/publications/cactus/growingcactus/index.html]link to an Extension Service article[/url]in which you may find additional useful information:

applestar
Mod

This is SO funny! Do you think that the more we hang around here, the more our brainwaves align? 8)

I came across a couple of packets of mixed cacti seeds and giant saguaro seeds today, and decided to sow them in the paper towel-lined plastic berry container of sand that I'm using to (try to) sprout coffee seeds. It's taking so long for the coffee to do anything (BORING! :roll: I'm used to 3~7 day germination on stuff on the heating mat) that I decided to sow these cacti on top and around the coffee beans.

Like Kisal said, I figured that the shallow rooted cacti seedlings can be pricked out, so they won't disturb the coffee much.

Last time I tried to germinate these seeds, I did it in the summer time under the slats of a wooden bench. They sprouted fine and were just starting to show their first prickles, but got drowned when I forgot to take off the water tray after watering them, and it rained buckets.

I've no idea if they're still viable, but I'm in seed planting mode. :wink:

I like berry containers because they're just about the right depth for most seeds: pint size for the shallower-rooted seedlings and quart size for the deeper-rooted seedlings, and they're already equipped with bottom drainage holes and top vents. :D

applestar
Mod

Amazingly those little baby cacti are sprouting! :D
I'm going to go read that link kisal posted. 8)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Thanks,
Hey, what about coffee seeds? I have some, haven't gotten to them yet.
What are you doing? I have them in my oddballs, and just haven't gotten past the tomatoes and peppers to the flowers and oddballs yet...
I just checked the oddballs, I have:
Coffea Racemosa, Coffea Canephora, Coffea Arabica...
And tea plant Camellia sinensis...
Buying this were all on a whim... I really need to look them up.

tn_veggie_gardner

Great info, y'all! I bought a packet of cacti seeds at HD last week & have yet to start them because I wanted to know more info, exactly what's posted above. =) I think I will get them started sometime in the next few days.

catasetum-ian
Newly Registered

me too prefer to plant seeds on flat tray, I had tried growing seeds in pots before but those on tray do better.
I usually keep the soil moist for germination to sets in fast, germination rate is good as long as the seed obtain is fresh and not expired.
covering with dome to increase humidity hasten germination but avoid glass cover with direct exposure to sunlight ( I sort of 'fried' my newly germinated cactus once when I initially started to grow cactus)
so best of luck.......enjoyable experience when u grow them from seeds (takes much longer to grow from seed but enjoyable experience)

applestar
Mod

OK, the little cacti seedlings have all turned red, flopped over and DIED! :roll: :oops:

... the GOOD news is ONE of the coffee seeds that somehow ended up on the surface germinated. More details on the coffee [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116283#116283]here[/url].

... 2nd good news is some other cacti seeds are germinating so I may yet be able to claim to have grown cacti from seed.... :wink:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Awesome link!

I think that I will go ahead and get the cacti and coffee started germinating. And the houseplants all repotted, before I start the large germinating of seeds... That way, I can use the special soil for African Violets, and Cactus in my soil mixes for the seedlings and eliminate some bags of soil setting around here.

I have found that the jiffy mix that I disliked so much earlier, works fantastic mixed with regular potting soil. It keeps the soil light and fluffy, and lets air to the roots... while the regular potting soil hold moisture for the roots.

Has anyone else noticed how difficult it is to find potting soil without fertilizers? I like to not use fertilized soil, and do my own fertilizing, when the plant needs it. But, difficult to find the non-fertilized soil.
Also I notice alot of huge chunks, of bits of wood in the potting soil, even sticks! And you so carefully sift your compost... they don't on the commercial stuff!

applestar
Mod

I put the bigger bits in the bottom when repotting bigger container plants. :D

Theo

I JUST planted my first cacti. Got a cacti-mix, so I have no idea so far which variety I'm growing.
I know almost nothing about growing them. I've found some things around the internet but some of it just confused me even more.

I've planted them in a flat, low square-box or what I should call it, but is it best to have the soil in direct sunligt, or a shady place?
And so far I have it covered under a plastic hood, but I'm afraid it is getting to moist in there? How can I know?
Hope somebody have some good tips.

catasetum-ian
Newly Registered

Theo wrote:I JUST planted my first cacti. Got a cacti-mix, so I have no idea so far which variety I'm growing.
I know almost nothing about growing them. I've found some things around the internet but some of it just confused me even more.

I've planted them in a flat, low square-box or what I should call it, but is it best to have the soil in direct sunligt, or a shady place?
And so far I have it covered under a plastic hood, but I'm afraid it is getting to moist in there? How can I know?
Hope somebody have some good tips.
if you are covering it with plastic hood, make sure it is partially shaded, under hot sun with plastic hood may cooked the seed!
usually I just make sure the sowing surface is moist, will hasten germination. however, fresh seeds are more likely to germinate faster.
high humidity initially will not kill the seeds, in fact will hasten germination.

Theo

catasetum-ian wrote: if you are covering it with plastic hood, make sure it is partially shaded, under hot sun with plastic hood may cooked the seed!
usually I just make sure the sowing surface is moist, will hasten germination. however, fresh seeds are more likely to germinate faster.
high humidity initially will not kill the seeds, in fact will hasten germination.
Thank you very much! I had them in sun today, but they are now in a partly shaded place.
How high humidity should they have? Today it had so high humidity that small water drops were created inside on the inside of the hood, is that too much?

Theo

How old should the sprouts be before I use fertilizer? :)

applestar
Mod

Copying the 3rd post of this 2010 :shock: thread here --

Subject: Cacti from seeds
applestar wrote:This is SO funny! Do you think that the more we hang around here, the more our brainwaves align? 8)

I came across a couple of packets of mixed cacti seeds and giant saguaro seeds today, and decided to sow them in the paper towel-lined plastic berry container of sand that I'm using to (try to) sprout coffee seeds. It's taking so long for the coffee to do anything (BORING! :roll: I'm used to 3~7 day germination on stuff on the heating mat) that I decided to sow these cacti on top and around the coffee beans.

Like Kisal said, I figured that the shallow rooted cacti seedlings can be pricked out, so they won't disturb the coffee much.

Last time I tried to germinate these seeds, I did it in the summer time under the slats of a wooden bench. They sprouted fine and were just starting to show their first prickles, but got drowned when I forgot to take off the water tray after watering them, and it rained buckets.

I've no idea if they're still viable, but I'm in seed planting mode. :wink:

I like berry containers because they're just about the right depth for most seeds: pint size for the shallower-rooted seedlings and quart size for the deeper-rooted seedlings, and they're already equipped with bottom drainage holes and top vents. :D
...why?.. Because I came across those same packets of seeds -- they were old enough back then that I wondered if they would germinate -- and decided to try sowing some more again (there are *still* more seeds left in those packets :| )

:-() GUESS WHAT I FOUND TODAY?
image.jpg
(Started them on Feb 4 and Feb 6)

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Hi All!

Happy Spring to everyone! Just curious if anyone had any seeds for succulents or cacti? I am new to starting growing them but want to try it out! Let me know if anyone wants to do a flower exchange for it!

Thanks

Kim

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”