silkcom
Newly Registered

Growth of Plants by Age

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place to find out how given plants grow. I'm looking into planting, and wanting to organize the use of my space as efficiently as possible.

For example, Tomato XYZ variety, should be transplanted at 3" diameter, then after 1 month averages about 8" diameter, after 2 months 24" diamter, and after 3 months it starts fruiting, etc.

I recognize that it's only averages, and getting this close is dependent on a lot of different factors, but I'd like to know if there's a place with info like this, or if I should just start topics with specific plants that I personally am interested in :).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know anywhere that gives close to this much detail. To have a chart like that for all the range of different veggies/ varieties (there are hundreds of tomato varieties) would be immense. And it is so variable by climate, micro-climate, sun exposure, etc, it would be hard to provide anything useful.

I have flower beds at the front edge of my lawn on two sides. They are separated by less than 30'. Some of the identical plants are planted in them. But one of the beds is shaded a lot by my big old lilac tree and the other isn't. So the plants in the sunny one are like 50% bigger and bloom two weeks earlier than the ones on the other side of the lawn....

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/veggie%20guide.JPG[/img]

This chart gives some interesting data. Look at the "Space between plants after thinning" and the "Space between rows" columns to get some idea how much space is needed for the variety.

You may see this chart better if you right click it then save it to your computer, then open it in a photo program. It is a .jpg file and will display larger than you see it here in the forum.
Last edited by jal_ut on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I wish there were a better answer for you. rainbowgardener pretty much summed it up. I think we learn to do by doing. Jump in and plant. You will enjoy watching your plants grow and love the fresh flavor of home grown produce.

Welcome to the forum.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”