rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

what are you still eating from your garden (northerners!)?

I know, all you folks in places like SoCal and FLA still have months of growing season left! Some day I will join you! :) But what about all the rest of us that are ekeing out the end of the season? What are you still eating from your garden?

I harvested a whole salad's worth of baby greens (mixed lettuces and spinach) from my "fall crop" last night. Made my favorite bean cheesy chard recipe with the swiss chard that was spring planted and is still producing more chard than we can keep up with.

I had stripped off all but the smallest tomatoes to ripen indoors a couple weeks ago. I was surprised to discover yesterday, a half dozen more tomatoes had developed to pickable size, in a range from mostly green to mostly ripe. We've had at least a couple frosts since I picked off all the tomatoes earlier, so I thought the tomatoes would be totally done.

Otherwise, not much left in the garden except herbs, still have plenty of those. And still tons of flowers. I brought in two big bouquets of fall flowers for the table, mostly mums, with beautyberry berries, pink muhly grass seed heads, black-eyed susan seed heads, etc.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I like the way you said "Northerners". I'll now sit back and watch for replies.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, it was 20°F yesterday morning and feels colder today. There's nothing out there in the open garden that is worth harvesting at this point. Lots in storage but I am not sure if that is what you are interested in, RG . . .

I had some fun over the weekend. Everything in a pot of bean soup was from the garden. Only the oil to saute the onions & peppers, one of the spices, and the salt came from the soopermarket shelves. It gave me a chance to use up a few tomatoes that are still ripening in the kitchen. (I'd post a picture but that doesn't seem to be working for me this morning on the HG.)

Cornbread with the soup was a first attempt at using my Painted Mountain flour corn and it worked! I soaked the corn before running it thru a food processor and substituted evaporated milk for the regular milk in the Albers cornbread recipe.

Pie for dessert was Buttercup squash pie. Those squash pies are an important part of my diet at this time of year :) .

Steve
now to post a pic . . . I've done that as recently as yesterday . . . just have to try again later, I guess

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Maybe I didn't use Picasa before . . .

Here is that meal in Photobucket:

[img]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/DSC00367.jpg[/img]

:)

digitS'

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

@digitS - beautiful! That's a grand use of fall garden produce!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Chard, winter radishes, day neutral raspberries, leeks, snap peas. Just cooked the last of the pole beans. Just so you know we have already had 3 substantial frosts.

applestar
Mod

@digitS, I'll be right over. :>

My garden didn't do so well this year, as you may know. But I had a diced yellow tomato in my tuna salad tonight; red ripe jalapeño and leeks in my omelet this morning; and leeks, yellow hot lemon pepper, fresh ginger leaves, lemongrass, and a citrus leaf in a Thai style soup last night. Oh and herbs and fresh garlic from the summer harvest -- does that count? :wink:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Swiss chart bright lights are still growing! I dug alot of peppers and tomatoes and put into the greenhouse so they are still producing! A little lettuce left but frost five nights in a row did most in!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This doesn't entirely count as from the garden, but I had (for breakfast! :) ) a fresh tomato basil sandwich, with tomatoes that were picked green and brought in and basil picked off my plant that is now over-wintering indoors.

On good sourdough toast, it was still pretty yum!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Hey RG!

I had mustard greens from the garden with lunch. It snowed overnight on them and they've taken some fairly hard frosts. In fact, it is freezing, essentially, every night now. There are probably some nice kale leaves out there but that garden is distant and the kale was harvested real hard thru October and, really, thru much of the summer.

The ripening tomatoes are getting ahead of me again! But, NO more spaghetti sauce! Froze one of the casseroles I made earlier this week. I will make another today. The earlier casseroles were Tomato & Rice, this one will be Rice & Tomato . . .

Just kidding :) . It will be Chili with Tomatoes & Pasta :wink: .

Steve

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Naw, this time of year northern gardeners are stringy and tough.

On a more serious note, I still have a few paprika I took in last week on the counter, next to the potatoes. Carrots are still in their bed.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

Naw, this time of year northern gardeners are stringy and tough.
I would think that they'd be at their fattest/healthiest, now before hibernation starts...

while I suppose I'm technically a southern gardener (western NC), we're up in the mountains a bit...I'm currently in philadelphia visiting, and they're actually behind us here - more leaves still on trees, warmer lows at night...so I'm going to go ahead and act like this thread is for me, too.

still finishing up sweet potatoes (both an orange variety that's probably beauregard, and purple ones), partway though the extended harvest of yacon, sunchokes, and carrots (comparing texture and flavor of carrots, I've been a little surprised by the juiciest, crunchiest, and also sweetest variety I grew this year being a newcomer to my lineup, purple haze), dug our first ever harvest of crosnes last week (most of which I'll probably save for seed for next year, but some will be making it into salads for a while), still cutting kale of various sorts, a few onions (which haven't been storing well) and a bit of garlic left...that may be about it. oh yeah, also dried husk tomatoes, best raisins in the world.

been making sauerkraut-style ferments with sunchokes, which makes an all natural sweet-and-sour relish that I really like, and will be experimenting with yacon similarly when I get back home. s'all I got for now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Still eating wonderful salads with fresh picked mixed lettuces, spinach, swiss chard, and ripened indoors tomatoes!

Since the sunchokes were mentioned, didn't harvest mine this year. Last year I actually harvested them and we ate them a couple times, as mashed potatoes and sunchokes and as a soup. However, they turn out to be extremely gas producing! My s.o. who has problems that way at the best of times, was jet propelled for two days! I noticed it too and I don't usually have that. So be careful!

According to this

https://greatbigvegchallenge.blogspot.com/2007/06/j-is-for-jerusalem-artichokes-roasted.html

they are sometimes known as "fartichokes"!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Me and the rabbit enjoyed some swiss chard I just dug up and moved to the greenhouse. I have several swis chard growing in the greenhouse now for 3 years. When it goes to seed Ijus cut th top and it produces more leaes. I moved a red , orange and a yellow from the bright lights collection! I had them growingin my cold frames all sumer. Everything else is dead but the swiss chard and some brussle sprouts! Has anyone eaten swiss chard teamed with salt , some herbs and vinegar. Chard is also great in chicken soup!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

ha! yes, I know of the 'fartichokes' all too well, RG. the only things I do with them anymore is sell them to the local food co-op fresh, or the live-cultured 'kraut'. fermenting it seems to take care of the issue, at least for my wife and I. we just let the lactobacillus do the digesting of those parts we have problems with. :wink:

we grow too many of them to not dig 'em.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Great now I have to find out what my other artichokes are then I know I have globes but the others are thiner and have spikes.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”