plant_time
Newly Registered

Dwarf bamboo- can it be saved?

Hello everyone,

I just bought two small dwarf bamboo plants at a local grocery store. Both plants are very dry and about 90% of the leaves are completely dried out, but the rest are green. Could someone please recommend a good method to bring them back? (I would like to keep them as houseplants- too cold to plant outside).

Thanks!

ynot
Greener Thumb

plant_time wrote:Hello everyone,

I just bought two small dwarf bamboo plants at a local grocery store. Both plants are very dry and about 90% of the leaves are completely dried out, but the rest are green. Could someone please recommend a good method to bring them back? (I would like to keep them as houseplants- too cold to plant outside).

Thanks!
PT, Welcome :)

What is your location? If it gets too cold for them outside why would you consider planting them? [After all, When winter returns you would simply have to move them...]

Can you post a picture? I have no idea if you mean Nandina, or lucky bamboo {I am assuming it is the latter considering the vendor.}

Difficult to diagnose without knowing what were talking about.

If it is lucky bamboo, It can exist in plain water so dry is not a good thing.

We need more info

ynot

plant_time
Newly Registered

Hi, Y!

Thanks for responding. Sorry, I must have messed up what I meant to say- I want to keep them as houseplants, not take them outside! Sorry, my head was still confused b/c all I have found on the internet is how to care for outdoor bamboo.

Anyway... I'm sorry, my digital camera is down, but I found a picture on Google that shows what the leaves look like:

[img]https://www.bamboos.com/ps_owatarii_M.jpg[/img]

Just picture a tiny plant with those types of leaves in a 4 inch pot.

If you need any more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

plant_time
Newly Registered

I forgot- it's definetly not 'lucky' bamboo, as my mom has had those before, so I know what they look like. :)

ynot
Greener Thumb

plant_time wrote: all I have found on the internet is how to care for outdoor bamboo.
..Because it grows outside [A tropical species may be possibly be able to live indoors for a while]

There are around a 1000 species of bamboo.

Can't speak for other members but I know nothing about bamboo.

- Sorry

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”