rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Eating from the garden again, yay!!

My over wintered spinach has been growing and thriving again, so tonight I went out and picked spinach for the dinner salad! (In February!)

Also the recipe I was making (Paav Bhaji, wonderful!) called for cabbage and I didn't have any. So I went and picked leaves off the overwintered broccoli. I figured broccoli and cabbage are pretty closely related. Worked okay, though I do think the cabbage would probably have been better.

But it was so cool to be going out with my bowl gathering for supper again! Hasn't really been that long; I was still picking swiss chard in December. And it won't be very long now before I could pick a few of the new leaves from the overwintered chard!

The combination of mild winter, putting in a new veggie bed in the middle of the front lawn where it is sunny, and me continuing to learn and get better at this stuff, means that I'm eating out of my garden more than ever!

applestar
Mod

Sounds great! :D

I looked around the other day and I have radicchio making heads. you might want to try growing them (they're the little red cabbage looking things in salads.). I let them go to seed last year and now I have one growing between the patio bricks along with a couple of others. (couldn't bear to weed it LOL).

Parsley seems to have made it as well as most of Russian Kale. A few carrots. Quite a few small red onion plants -- they might be from the seeds I scattered in experiment. And a bolted broccoli I thought was green inside when I tried to snap off the stalk....

I couldn't stand it anymore either and direct sowed some peas as well as onion, radish, cauliflower, spinach (I HAVE to try overwintering from fall -- well, I did sow them but I couldn't take care of them last fall and seems not to have survived), lettuce, and red cabbage. Making plans to sow more seeds....

Here's to an early start of an excellent gardening season! :wink:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We planted our late winter crop of cabbage and onions yesterday. It was 83 degrees. It's really kind of crazy. Today we have tornado warnings which usually occur in late spring.

At least we are still eating last years crop from the freezer.

applestar
Mod

Two of the five self seeded radicchio:

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/476179e5.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/717958b7.jpg[/img]

Harvested and ate half of the second one, Red Russian Kale, some turnip greens and green onions in a salad with store bought romaine, walnuts, and aged gruyere cheese and home made garlicky raspberry mustard dressing. :D

the other three are still not ready to harvest, which means I can harvest the other one photographed above and still have more to look forward to. 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your salad sounds wonderful! I don't know if I like raddichio or not, but it would almost be worth growing ornamentally, it is so beautiful! Nice pictures!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”