applestar
Mod

:D :D 8) 8) AAAAAHHHH 8) 8) :D :D
I came over as soon as I saw that you posted here, Lorax.
:() ...basking in the overflow warmth... :()

Really needed that! 43°F outside, grey and misty/drizzly bleh :x

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

74 degrees and sunny today. It's 9PM and 62 right now.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

65 degrees this morning at about midnight than the severe thunderstorms came through with damaging winds, hail up to an inch and a few small tornados. Steady drop from than to about 18 windy degrees this coming morning.

Typical MO weather. :shock: Had snow end of last week.

Tonio
Green Thumb

50F @ 840PM in S. Cal. Finally starting to feel like a winter :wink: LOL.

T

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I went up skiing, it was snowing and at times the snow was blowing so hard you could not see the road or the cars around you. There were some wrecks up there. The skiing was not much different as it was very hard to see where you were going and at times all you could see was white.
I work nights and live at 1200’ it has been snowing for days and I will have to plow my road today. The power went out 2 times tonight, we are on the generator. I had to move branches out of the way and go around fallen ones to get to work tonight. One place a tree fell across the road but as its trunk was up on a bank I could get under it on one side. Down in the Portland area people do not drive well in snow so I am more afraid of them than the snow.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Sunny. High around 81, low around 72. It's been like that for the past 2 weeks, beautiful! Now we start our trip back home, first stop is ca to visit a dear friend... And weather will change to sun, but temps between 44 & 70.
Then we'll be back in Ohio, where who knows what the weather will be.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Rain and 48º ... :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Waist high, to a duck, in snow. :cry:

Eric

PrincessE

Beautiful! We are sunny with a high of 83, low of 70.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It warmerd up and has been raining hard, every thing is flooding.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

@tomf, are you in an area that floods? I thought you were at too high an elevation for that. :shock:

My back yard will probably flood, but I'm a couple blocks too far from the Willamette to have to worry about its waters. The water will only stand in my backyard while there is rain coming down. It drains away in 24 hours, thank goodness.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

My house is not flooded but all around the place is. If I get flooded at 1200' then your all in a bit of a jam! Fields are lakes creeks are over flowing. You can hear my creek from over 1/4 mile away. Wow it is sad about that family getting sucked in to that covert. I see Salem is flooded quite a bit. I am thinking the rivers coming off of Mt. Hood are going to be a problem.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

33* about 4" of snow. No ice pellet storm. No extra snow and no rain. Looks like close to an inch of rain this evening. :shock:

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

2:53pm 38* and we have the starting of rain.

The last two mornings, while letting out the ducks, I noticed digging. Something is trying to dig under the duck house door and outdoor pen. I sprinkled some dog hair around the perimeter.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Snow%20%20Jan%2017-20%202012/SnowJan20th2012001.jpg[/img]

Can one overdose on coffee? 8)
Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

On boat today, 60 degrees, violent wind and thunderstorms. Tornado watch until 8PM.

lily51
Greener Thumb

We r visiting family on palm springs, ca. They r cleaning up after a wind storm...
Blew over trees, damaged lots of roofs, debris all over.
No matter where u r, there's something to deal with!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

This is the current weather advisory on the lake.

..LAKE WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST SUNDAY...

A LAKE WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST SUNDAY.

* HAZARDS: STRONG WINDS.

* WINDS: WINDS NORTHWEST 20 TO 25 KNOTS. GUSTS AS HIGH AS 35 KNOTS.

* TIMING: THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS: STRONG GUSTY WINDS WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS BOATING CONDITIONS ON AREA LAKES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A LAKE WIND ADVISORY INDICATES THAT WINDS WILL CAUSE ROUGH CHOP ON AREA LAKES. SMALL BOATS AND PERSONAL WATERCRAFT WILL BE ESPECIALLY PRONE TO CAPSIZING.

I just love these weather guys. At 10 AM today the wind warning was supposed to end at 4PM. Now it's 4AM tomorrow. Our anemometer is showing gusts to 55. I doubled up all lines and tied down everything that moves. We're watching tops rip off of boats all over the marina. We're having white caps in our little sheltered cove for about the 5th time in two years.

The wind is shrieking,
the lines are creaking,
the boat is rocking,
and I will sleep like a baby tonight.

It's a great day to be alive. We did a 5 mile walk because ever we're not crazy enough to canoe on a day like today. We will take the boat out tomorrow for water and gas but she's built for these conditions.

tc_31_fillAmenist

The cold is being pushed clear down [url=https://www.accuweather.com/us/fl/vero-beach/32968/forecast-month.asp]here[/url].

I covered things in early January when it got cold, this time they're on their own.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It is supposed to get down to 23 degrees tonight, but with a 15-20 mph wind.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yep, expecting temps in the teens tonight, with windchills around -5.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There in the Southeast, you gardeners be sure and let us know how things turn out.

This seems like really unusual weather you are having. Many of you have already put plants in the ground :shock: !

At least here, we haven't gone back to the same-old, same-old of December with inversions and bad air. I can't say that it is unseasonably warm now, like it was in January. But, we can use the frequent drizzle & odd sprinkle if it is putting some snow in our Rocky Mountains!

Steve
who has noticed some real psychological benefits from having moved his desk back to the south window :wink: .

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It's cold here. in the 20's. I so much want to get the beds ready for the early crops. If it were not frozen it would be the perfect moisture level.

applestar
Mod

Charlie MV wrote:We will take the boat out tomorrow for water and gas but she's built for these conditions
:shock: I think the main point is that YOU are built (nutz:) for these conditions. :>

...Had to use my converter app to find out 55 knots = 63.29 MPH

lorax
Greener Thumb

A chilly 15 C here with heavy clouds. At least it isn't raining - I got caught out in a thunderstorm a couple of days ago, and belive me you haven't lived until you've been in a tropical boomer. I went from dry to soaked in about 3 seconds, and the rain was coming down so hard I couldn't see more than a meter in front of me.

This is very unseasonable - it's technically summertime here right now, which should mean long sunny days and some soft sprinkly-type rain at night. Ambato almost never gets torrential downpours like Friday's, and certainly never at this time of year.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:It's cold here. in the 20's. I so much want to get the beds ready for the early crops. If it were not frozen it would be the perfect moisture level.
Yeah, well that's my problem. Altho' I won't even consider early crops for a long while yet. Sub zero F about the 1st of March isn't unheard of around here.

Still, with all the unseasonable warmth, it would be nice if I could bury the 2 buckets of compostables from the kitchen, that are sitting out on the deck! The last time I did that it was in December and I had to break thru about 8" of frozen ground.

The other day, I went out with the Pulaski and hit that garden soil on the southside of the greenhouse ~ once. A chip of frozen dirt flew up and hit me in the eye! That was enuf. I put the mattock back and went into the house.

A couple hours later I found the thawed-once-frozen mud in my shirt pocket . . .

Steve :roll:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:
Charlie MV wrote:We will take the boat out tomorrow for water and gas but she's built for these conditions
:shock: I think the main point is that YOU are built (nutz:) for these conditions. :>

...Had to use my converter app to find out 55 knots = 63.29 MPH
Everything crazy on a boat happens after dark. At nine last night the Bimini top on the fly bridge was banging so bad we decided to take it down so we'd be able to sleep. Handling 12'x10' of flapping canvas in a 35 mph wind is challenging. I've taken this top off a hundred times but the middle brace manages to bang my head every time I do it. You'd think that stupid piece of stainless steel would learn but no, it doesn't.

applestar
Mod

At least you didn't get blown into the drink holding the Bimini top. With a 12x10 surface in 35 mph wind, even you would have sailed off into the middle of the lake and most likely have bumped into the bouey, scaring the poor -- what was it? Heron? Egret? into doing what they do best. ...And swimming back ashore towing the top would not doubt have required a little bit of effort.
(I couldn't think of a way to incorporate the squirrels into this story....)

:lol: :wink:

--
17°F last night and about 3 inches of snow. Temps remained in the 20's all day and now 26°. We're finally seeing normal weather for this time of the year....

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

SQUIRRELS??? Don't get me started. We really would have let go of the top if it was that bad. But that stainless steel isn't going to take many more encounters with my head. I think the herons and egrets have sense enough to take their tops down during the day.

We have done a lot worse in storms on the coast. The bad stuff at night usually included waves breaking over the dock. It would make a preacher cuss. We figure we have about 8 more years before we're just too old for this.

We got down near 25 last night. Today the winds settled down to 20. I must confess I radioed for a dock hand when we came back in today. That would never enter my mind in the summer but from experience I can tell you that my wife turns the most exquisite shade of blue when she falls overboard in February so I had her strap on a life jacket and pitch a line to the dock boy.

It's a balmy 43 degrees and the front has passed so there isn't even a ripple out there. I think we're due for about 25 tonight and then winter will be over. I'll be swimming through great heron poop by mid April as warm as this winter has been. 8)

maus

right now it feels like -8..... last night it was like -27 with the wind chill.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

News Flash! This just in! Breaking News! June 18, 2012, Casper, Wyoming. For the eighth straight month, Casper, Wyoming residents have not made it to 40 degrees. High daily temperatures continue to crest at 35. According to the National Weather Bureau, Casper missed out on spring and now appears to be missing out on summer as well. Fortunately, they are only three months away from fall, so soon the daily highs in the 30's will seem perfectly normal.

Back to our local anchor, Stella1751.

Guys, I am almost a broken woman. I can't remember the last time I saw 40 degrees for a high. I just checked the ten-day forecast, and we might, MIGHT, squeak up to 40 a week from now. Maybe. Not likely. This winter will never end.

You heard it here first :cry:

MariannePersia

Feb 20é2012 in Astorville Ontario Canada

Sunny and cold, about 2 feet of snow in the yard, a hint of spring in the air Spring here is mid april

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Overcast, with light showers off and on. 48º at the moment. (Yesterday was sunny and gorgeous!)

jpr54_
Cool Member

Yesterday it hit record high for day-87 degrees
Today it was 10 degrees cooler an breezy
can't complain
at least it is not snowing, etc.

Mini Mango!

*Mostly sunny, with some white clouds scattered around, +19C.
*Extremely windy -> SAND STORM! Woo hooo, I open the door and it feels like winter in Ukraine, only not with snow but sand! Even my plants have a layer of sand! :lol:

Mini Mango!

I met a lady in the park couple of weeks ago. She said they run away from the cold in their country, traveled here for holiday. They live in Kazakhstan, it's -45C!!! Can you imagine?!
She said it's never been so cold (at least she doesn't remember).

It's cold everywhere this winter, even here in Dubai for the first time I wanted to buy a heater for the house!! Hilarious, but true....

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Mardi Gras day here in New Orleans and the weather is cooperating nicely. Today's high is expected to be in the mid 70's with clear skies and lots of sunshine. It should be a great day for those that love to partake in the Mardi Gras parade mode. As for me, I've been there, done that for far more years than I care to think about and no longer get all warm and fuzzy feeling about it.

The wife and I will likely just hop on the motorcycle and head far away from the maddening crowds to get a little 2 wheel therapy today.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Snow . . . but not much. There was snow 2 days ago, this shouldn't last long either. It is already above freezing.

Above freezing with little wind and snow on the ground - 1/4 mile visibility at the nearest airport!

After an atypical January, we are in a typical February. Snow, fog, anything that isn't tied-down, and the month will all blow away soon . . .

Steve
How does Ontario gardener have the same iris avatar as moderator in Oregon?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I resurrected this thread because I just looked at our forecast....jeeezz 74 for today and 77 Wed 78 Thursday. That will be above the record high for the date on Wed... That's a record that was set back in the dust bowl days in 1933 and has stood ever since.

I'm getting braced for a long hot summer!

lorax
Greener Thumb

Send some south, RBG! We never really got our summer - right now it should be clear skies, blazing sun, and 45 C highs.

Yeah, no. It's cloudy, misty, and cold. My thermometer reads 12 C right now, which is all wrong. I'm going to go crawl into the greenhouse now. :evil:

jpr54_
Cool Member

It was drizzling here early morning but now sun is out
temperature will be in '70's this afternoon

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”