Darth Ruprecht

Loquat Tree loosing leaves

I have a large loquat tree next to the carport at my home, and have noticed that it's upper half is loosing leaves. I understand this tree isn't supposed to lose leaves like this.

The leaves don't appear to be eaten, there's no fungus on them or the bark, and I don't think it's fire blight. To be honest, however, I've never done any of this before and wouldn't likely know where to begin to look.

I've google'd looking for help but my search hasn't turned up much that's useful.

Anyone have experience with this or have advice to share?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

At one time I had a fairly large Loquat (Japanese Plum) tree in my back yard. It did lose some leaves in the winter but didn't totally defoliate.

Has your weather been particularly cold this winter with many days near or below freezing? Perhaps the upper leaves are falling because they are more exposed to the cold wind whereas the lower leaves are protected somewhat by the carport. This is just a guess on my part. I'd still have that tree, but Hurricane Katrina left almost 5 ft. of saltwater in my area for almost 3 weeks and that killed the poor thing.

Darth Ruprecht

Gumbo,

It has dropped fairly low the past few weeks, I suppose winter is taking it's last hurrah before it's kicked out by spring. The rest of winter has been reasonably mild in comparison.

I considered that as a possibility since I didn't see any sign of disease, but wanted to check with the experts before I shrugged it off and waited for a change. :lol:

It would make sense that was the cause since the defoliated area is at or above the roof line of the carport, though the carport is open so I'm not sure how much it actually blocks the wind. It is a logical assumption, though.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I'm too far north/uphill for loquat to survive outside during our coldest weather, so mine lives in a big pot...weather below 20 tends to either damage leaves or make it drop them, for sure.

Return to “All Other Fruit”