TheRipeTomato

Anyone growing peppers?

Been growing a line of peppers for 8 years now (save the seeds every year). They start out rough and green, but by the time they hit red, their a thing of beauty!

[img]https://theripetomato.ca/images/miscimages/pepper1.jpg[/img]

vebyrd36

I start my seed in the house from seed used for many years. I think it is really interesting how we watch the plants and pick the best peppers to further the generations.

Royiah

I've only just started peppers. I've got some ca wonders. I cant wait to pick and use them in my recipies! Though I'd like to do red and yellow. Just cant seem to find any at the store. :(
Your peppers just look lovely. Wish me luck with mine! :D

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I like growing peppers, but last july I moved so I had to rip everything out and lost a whole harvest :( but on the bright side, my new landlord gave me a big piece of land to do anything I want with hence I'll have the biggest garden I ever had! if need be I can fit 252 plants in just 1 area nevermind all the other areas in the yard!

which pepper seeds do you have?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Peppers are my favorite plant to grow. In fact, each year something else gets squeezed out to make room for yet another pepper bed. Last year I had three (out of nine beds).

That's a lovely pepper, btw! Seeing it makes me anxious for my first pepper of the year, which won't happen for about four or five more months :cry:

Halfway
Green Thumb

Nicely done!!

I have become a big fan of the "Tepin" pepper. Very intense flavor and a bush that will last a couple years if overwintered inside.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well so far I had a Serrano pepper survive the winter outdoors so I have that going on its 2nd year. I prune it down a little and it is already putting out new growth. I am starting 4 new varieties this year and will collect seeds and if I like certain ones I will let them overwinter.

soil
Greener Thumb

we grow peppers from all over the world. mexico, thailand, vietnam, southwest US, and many more along with all the peppers ive been selecting for.

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

Another pepper grower here! My seeds just started sprouting over the past few days. I grow mostly super hots but mix in some of the milder ones too. My first sprout this year:

[img]https://thepepperseed.com/wp-content/gallery/peppers/img_0683.jpg[/img]

vebyrd36

Gonna plant some ghost and Nigerian Viper peppers for the DH.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I've had pepper issues almost every year, but starting last year I finally got a plant that's producing- yay- so I've been able to save seed from the crop. Happy happy joy joy! I'll be starting a few new plants this year, along with the one plant that survived the process of overwintering. all hail the red bell pepper! I'm going to try out some sweet banana peppers this year and see how I manage.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I got a couple but all seedlings from serranos to super hots including Ghost pepper, 7Pots, Brain strain and Trinidad scorpion butch T but they are taking there time on growing

Tonio
Green Thumb

vebyrd36 wrote:Gonna plant some ghost and Nigerian Viper peppers for the DH.
Nigerian Viper.... do you mean Naga Viper?

I've got a arbol overwintering - outside, and pasilla bajio( chilaca anyone?), poblano germing. Can you tell I like rellenos?? :D

T

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am growing Lemon Drop, Serrano, Aji Dulce, Chocolate Bell, Hot Cherry, And Pepperoncini.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Brant

Bell peppers are my favorite vegetable; however, I can never get my plants to produce. I think it is my nasty clay soil. Hopefully this year I have amended it enough to get some fruit.

Last season I got maybe three decent peppers (from six plants) and then a few of my plants just died overnight for no apparent reason and the others never produced any peppers bigger than a golf ball. Some of them would ripen all red but be about the size of a marble.

I always use drip irrigation on a timer, so water is not the issue. Oh well. I have heard from local gardeners that if I can just keep them alive through the summer they will produce much better in the fall...

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Gotta have bell pepper for pizza ! Stir fry ! Burritos !

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Brant wrote:Bell peppers are my favorite vegetable; however, I can never get my plants to produce. I think it is my nasty clay soil. Hopefully this year I have amended it enough to get some fruit.

Last season I got maybe three decent peppers (from six plants) and then a few of my plants just died overnight for no apparent reason and the others never produced any peppers bigger than a golf ball. Some of them would ripen all red but be about the size of a marble.

I always use drip irrigation on a timer, so water is not the issue. Oh well. I have heard from local gardeners that if I can just keep them alive through the summer they will produce much better in the fall...
That sounds like the trouble I was having. Did you start from seed, or buy starter plants? I found that my best solution was to start from seed, the plants take longer to grow, but they actually grow ;D

I also found that planting my bell peppers in containers have been a huge help, instead of in the ground. Get a 20gallon container from home depot, drill drainage holes in the bottom, get a bag or 2 of soil and plant the little pepper in the container.

Brant

SPierce wrote:
That sounds like the trouble I was having. Did you start from seed, or buy starter plants? I found that my best solution was to start from seed, the plants take longer to grow, but they actually grow ;D
Yeah, I did start them from seed. The giant containers are a good idea, I might try that this season too. I have a feeling it is a mix of poor quality soil and too much heat.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Brant wrote:
SPierce wrote:
Yeah, I did start them from seed. The giant containers are a good idea, I might try that this season too. I have a feeling it is a mix of poor quality soil and too much heat.
I have the soil issue too- definately no heat issue here! Try the larger container, I did that with my one bell pepper plant and- though it grew slowly- it worked out great! I also sprayed it with the fish emulsion mix (water + the fish goo) and I think that helped too.

vebyrd36

PunkRotten wrote:I am growing Lemon Drop, Serrano, Aji Dulce, Chocolate Bell, Hot Cherry, And Pepperoncini.
Yep thats it.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I got some new seeds today called Bulgarian Carrot pepper. I am not sure I have an available pot for it. Will have to do some inventory. The thing is I will have about 5-6 plants for only myself. That is a lot of peppers. Last year I had serranos and I got so many of them. I wanna experiment with making different salsas; combining different tomatoes and peppers and seeing what kind of flavors I get. I also figure I could pickle a bunch of peppers if it gets out of hand.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

two words: hot sauce.

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

I'll be growing Bells, banana, jalapeno's, and cayenne.

bg
Cool Member

!potatoes! wrote:two words: hot sauce.
Just made some with my left over habaneros, cayennes and a ghost pepper. Also just got about 15-20 ghost peppers and dried them out, I'll be making a powder with them tomorrow.

The plants are doing well though, getting new growth to fill in some of the lost leaves and branches; still a bunch of new peppers on the branches as well.

t92k
Newly Registered

Second year gardener but this is what I'm growing for peppers this year. Kind of got on a pepper kick lol.

Hots/milds that have germinated and are under lights:
Aji Lemon Drop, Aji Limon, Aji Orange, Aji Panca, Anaheim, Bhut Jalokia, Big Jim, Biker Billy, Cayenne Long Thin, Charleston, Chimayo, Donne Solie, Dorset Naga, Fish, Fresno, Jalapeno M, Joe E. Parker, Long Bird, Pequin, PI653748, Red Habanero, Ring of Fire Cayenne, Serrano, Orange Habanero, Uba Tuba, Trinidad Scorpion, Whippet's Tail.

Sweets that I'll be starting next weekend:
Ashe County Pimiento, California Wonder, Corno di Toro Rosso, Garden Leader Monster Bell, Quadrato Rosso D'Asti, Red Marconi, Sweet Banana.

HannahGrace

This year I'm going to have Jalapeno, European hot peppers (I just had one sprout the other day), mini-red-bell, and a sweet pepper (don't remember exactly what kind and I'm too lazy to get up and look right now :P )

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Ahhhh I just Got my hands on some yellow and red Peter Pepper, into my huge pepper collection

vebyrd36

Oh I need to get my peppers out in the garden. My kitchen is looking like a greenhouse. :)

2cents
Green Thumb

I started a seed tray with 50 cells.. These I've been growing for a few years and have had good success. Anaheim, Sweet Banana, Bell, Big Bertha, Cayenne, Orange Habanero, Jalapeno, Marconi, Pablano.
I trade with a couple friends.
Would love some of those hotter varieties and Chocolate Habaneros.

southerncomfort

"...Anyone growing peppers? ..."

Has a cat got a climbing gear ? :)

Love peppers. Mostly Bell and sweet. every other year some hot ones for sauce.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

peppers consist of 65-70 % of my gardens... especially this year specifically.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”