digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Are You getting Anxious for Summer?

It is summer in Antarctica!

Supposed to be 33°F there tomorrow -- altho' I haven't figured out what time of the day it is in McMurdo Station or, even what day it is :roll: ! Which side of the date line are they on, anyway :D ?

Here's something that might work to keep track of things down there. Just a test here on the forum (and the mods can take it off if it causes any problems).

[img]https://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/bigtemp/language/english/global/stations/89664.gif[/img]

18°F right now as I post this - must be a night-time reading . . .

Steve

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I tilled some new garden area today in shorts and a tank top and sweated. Summer? You is kidding bro.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Ah, Steve. I am so very tired of being cold. I imagine we're probably in the teens right now. Highs in the 30's for the entire 10 day forecast, which is pretty pathetic. Yeah, it's normal temps, but one can always hope for a 40.

Yes, I'm anxious for summer. Right now, though, I'll settle for just one day at 45. At this time of the year, the cold begins to seem a permanent, never-ending nightmare.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, I'm not in the slightest eager for summer right now ... but definitely looking forward to spring. All things in good order. And I like spring a lot better anyway, reasonable temps and everything blooming, vs so hot and humid. Last summer was killer and this mild winter makes me keep thinking this one will be worse.

We keep getting teases of spring. Monday I was out weeding in the garden in just a light sweater, enjoying sun and feeling very spring like. Yesterday I woke up to find everything covered in snow - probably 1/2", but it looked quite wintery.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I'm dreading the summer. Intense heat and humidity/hurricanes/and tons of bugs destroying the garden like last summer. Not fun.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I think it may make it above freezing this afternoon there in McMurdo Station.

The time there is New Zealand Daylight Savings Time, I've found out. Altho', they are on the other side of the dateline, so it is already Friday. It is just after noon right now.

Already, 27°F.

Yes, I realize that summer can be very difficult in some areas. The spring here is often so cool and windy that I look forward more to the summer months. It is usually comfortable outdoors on all but the hottest days.

Steve

Edited To Add, a clock:
[img]https://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetemp/language/english/global/stations/89664.gif[/img]

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I have a friend who worked at mcmurdo a couple times. different world.

tc_31_fillAmenist

I've always loved Summer so yeah... bring it on. :)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

digitS' wrote: Yes, I realize that summer can be very difficult in some areas. The spring here is often so cool and windy that I look forward more to the summer months. It is usually comfortable outdoors on all but the hottest days.
Summers in Wyoming are extraordinary most of the time. Temps ranging from 75 to 85, very few rainy days. Wind, yes. But we don't swelter or curse the precip for keeping us from the garden. Sometime next summer, you and I will be reading postings from members who are sweltering in 100+ heat or can't get in their gardens for all the mud.

Turnabout's fair play. It's 28 degrees outside right now, and the ground is covered with snow and ice, but seriously good times lie ahead.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”