JeanneCa
Newly Registered

Looking for blood meal

Has anyone ever tried using blood meal as fertilizer for your roses? Years ago a good friend of mine gave me a few bags and it was amazing how beautiful my roses were. He worked in a meat rendering company in Montreal and this was one of the products they made from bone and fat. I am not sure what it was used for but he said it worked wonders on his roses and he gave me a few bags. He passed away a few years ago and I have never been able to find this product since. Have any of you ever used this product or know where to buy it?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Lowes usually carries blood meal. Most any large nursery carries it as well.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I used blood meal this past week. I put in in the bottom of my seed flats on top of a few leaves I put at the bottom of the planting mixture. I bought it at Agway. Is not cheap $12 a one pound bag! I like it. Urea is also good for nitrogen and is much cheaper!

Curlygirl27

I saw blood meal and bone meal today at Home Depot.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

That was a 3.5 pound bag of blood meal I bought a Agway not a one pound bag! I used some this past weekend on one of my raised beds that I dough out and filled with straw and topped with blood meal!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I have cats, the occasional loose dog, and bunches of raccoons. I have to be really careful what I fertilize with. Blood meal, fish emulsion or other fish products, even sometimes not quite finished compost (though there are no animal products in my compost pile) will result in whatever was planted with it being dug up. I have lost several seedling trees that way.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Blood meal is a deter for deer and I have had no problem with it. We have 5 cats and a dog and they have not bothered my garden!. Urea is a good alternative and much cheaper and stronger! 10 pound urea is about $5 at agway!

Return to “Rose Forum”