stella1751
Greener Thumb

Who Does Google Think You Are? (Just for Fun)

According to the hyperlink provided in the Huffington Post article [url=https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/27/google-ap-preference_n_1237054.html]“Google Ad Preferences Thinks It Knows Who You Are, What You Search[/url]," Stella is the following person:

Your categories

Business & Industrial - Agriculture & Forestry - Crops & Seed
Business & Industrial - Chemicals Industry - Agrochemicals
Hobbies & Leisure - Outdoors - Fishing
Home & Garden - Gardening & Landscaping
Pets & Animals - Pets - Dogs
Sports - Team Sports - American Football

Your demographics

This is kind of fun! I don't know how they came up with Agrochemicals, but I suspect that is a general category including organic supplements. Neither do I fish, and I am not a fan of sports, but otherwise it's spot on!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

You like dogs?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Arts & Entertainment - Music & Audio - Music Equipment & Technology - Musical Instruments
Arts & Entertainment - Music & Audio - Music Equipment & Technology - Samples & Sound Libraries
Computers & Electronics - Software - Device Drivers
Computers & Electronics - Software - Multimedia Software - Audio & Music Software
News - Weather
Science - Biological Sciences - Flora & Fauna - Insects & Entomology
Shopping
Sports - Team Sports
World Localities - North America - USA - Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Your demographics
We infer your age and gender based on the websites you've visited. You can remove or edit these at any time.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

tomf wrote:You like dogs?
LMFAO Maybe just a teeny tiny bit.

I'm wracking my brains, trying to figure out where the fishing came from. Years ago, I loved to fish, but that was long before the computer. I had a student write a paper on the cutthroat trout once so researched it to help him, but if that made them think I love fishing, then I should have categories saying I love guns, abortions, global warming, gay marriage/adoption, and a host of other argumentative issues. I teach research writing and argumentation, and frequently help my students find sources for their papers.

I think they got sports from the time I bought my cousin a Broncos jersey and his wife an autographed Jimmy Johnson ball cap.

So, Tom, you might listen to a little music when you are not playing with high-tech computers, right?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Your categories

Business & Industrial
Youtube - Frequent Uploader
Youtube - Recent Uploader

Your demographics

They are pretty much right. But I think more categories are missing. I guess they pick "recent", meaning these could be results for the last few days only or something.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Category
Business & Industrial
Business & Industrial - Agriculture & Forestry
Business & Industrial - Agriculture & Forestry - Horticulture
Food & Drink - Cooking & Recipes - Fruits & Vegetables
Science - Biological Sciences - Flora & Fauna

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Arts & Entertainment - Visual Art & Design - Art & Craft Supplies
Beauty & Fitness - Fitness - Bodybuilding
Computers & Electronics - Consumer Electronics - Camera & Photo Equipment - Binoculars, Telescopes & Optical Devices
Games
News - Weather
World Localities - North America - USA - Rocky Mountains - Colorado
World Localities - North America - USA - South (USA) - South Carolina

I do way more boating related searches than any other category. I haven't designed anything commercially in 8 years. I am not in the Rockies. Dunno where the binoculars, telescopes and optical devices came from. I've never searched for beauty products in my life. I look like a Klingon. I'm not a gamer. I do moderate on a fitness sight but I think Google is confused.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There have been some questions about Google's confused weirdness :roll: . . . here is what they say about my interests:

Your categories
Below you can review the interests and inferred demographics that Google has associated with your cookie. You can remove or edit these at any time.
Business & Industrial - Agriculture & Forestry
Business & Industrial - Agriculture & Forestry - Livestock
Computers & Electronics - Software - Multimedia Software - Photo & Video Software - Video File Formats & Codecs
Games
Games - Computer & Video Games
Games - Online Games

Your demographics
We infer your age and gender based on the websites you've visited. You can remove or edit these at any time.

First of all, I don't understand why these looked different this morning than they do right now :shock: . I have done nothing with the computer cookies over the last 8 hours. I know that I have checked some reference sites today but the ones that were noted earlier, are now gone.

Stella, your fishing hobby may be missing if you check it now - mine is. I don't play computer or video games and, honestly, I haven't played any online games since my son moved on from cribbage to canasta. (I thought it was enuf for me to have developed some skill moving a toothpick around on board!) Looks to me like google takes some real shots in the dark but I am sure that I don't want them any more accurate, anyway.

Steve :evil:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's mine currently, but it does seem to change a lot

Arts & Entertainment - Visual Art & Design - Art & Craft Supplies
Business & Industrial - Chemicals Industry - Agrochemicals
Business & Industrial - Construction & Maintenance
Business & Industrial - Energy & Utilities - Waste Management - Recycling
Food & Drink - Cooking & Recipes - Soups & Stews
Food & Drink - Cooking & Recipes - Vegetarian Cuisine
Home & Garden - Pest Control
Science - Biological Sciences - Flora & Fauna - Insects & Entomology

Arts and Crafts is now number one, wasn't even on the list when I looked a few days ago. I don't recall looking up any craft items recently...

I'm not sure why construction and maintenance is on my list...

but it did nail me as a 54 -64 yr old female.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Steve, you are, as always, right. I just checked it again, and my agrochemicals is gone, and fishing is now in the #2 slot of favorites :shock:

This really boggles my mind. I mean, the only fishing-related searches and/or purchases I have ever done or made are of the decomposed kinds, as in fish emulsion and fish emulsion products. I also use a kelp concentrate called Sea Magic, but that is, like, well over six degrees of separation from actually catching a fish.

Google did so well on the others that it makes me wonder whether someone is using my AOL signon. Computer people, how could I tell whether or not someone is using my ISP signon?

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

stella1751 wrote:Steve, you are, as always, right. I just checked it again, and my agrochemicals is gone, and fishing is now in the #2 slot of favorites :shock:

This really boggles my mind. I mean, the only fishing-related searches and/or purchases I have ever done or made are of the decomposed kinds, as in fish emulsion and fish emulsion products. I also use a kelp concentrate called Sea Magic, but that is, like, well over six degrees of separation from actually catching a fish.

Google did so well on the others that it makes me wonder whether someone is using my AOL signon. Computer people, how could I tell whether or not someone is using my ISP signon?

You may be on to something Stella. I don't recall ever Goggleing opticals, binoculars telescopes or cameras. I'm still baffled by them not mentioning boating related searches. I have been restoring an old boat for years. I bet half of my searches are on boat equipment and parts.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

or you could take control. Add or delete your interest. You could totally mess with Google also.

Category

Business & Industrial - Agriculture & Forestry - Aquaculture
Business & Industrial - Agriculture & Forestry - Food Production
Business & Industrial - Agriculture & Forestry - Livestock
Business & Industrial - Energy & Utilities - Renewable & Alternative Energy
Business & Industrial - Retail Trade - Retail Equipment & Technology
Business & Industrial - Small Business - Home Office
Home & Garden - Home Improvement - Construction & Power Tools
Home & Garden - Home Storage & Shelving
Home & Garden - Yard & Patio
Pets & Animals - Pets - Dogs
Pets & Animals - Wildlife
Science - Biological Sciences - Flora & Fauna

Eric

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Just to be safe, I went online and changed my password and my security question. The new password and security question are . . .

Just toying with you. Yes, I did change them. No, I'm not sharing, especially with any of you do a lot of searches on and purchases of fishing stuff :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Where is Bobberman ?

Eric

lorax
Greener Thumb

Apparently, I'm a nonentity with very limited preferences. They're missing an awful lot of interests, as well.

Games - Online Games
World Localities - Latin America - South America - Ecuador

Your demographics
No demographic categories are associated with your ads preferences so far.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

lorax wrote:Apparently, I'm a nonentity with very limited preferences. They're missing an awful lot of interests, as well.

Games - Online Games

Your demographics
Lorax, I think you have to really be into online shopping to get on some of these lists. Because I work out of my home and secretly yearn to be a hermit, I do a lot of my shopping online. It just seems easier to have something delivered than it does to scrape snow and ice off the car, warm it up, drive on slick roads, and clash elbows with other shoppers at a regular store. The mountain comes to Mohammed at my house 8)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Lorax, I think you have to really be into online shopping to get on some of these lists. Because I work out of my home and secretly yearn to be a hermit, I do a lot of my shopping online. It just seems easier to have something delivered than it does to scrape snow and ice off the car, warm it up, drive on slick roads, and clash elbows with other shoppers at a regular store. The mountain comes to Mohammed at my house
:wink: Eric

tc_31_fillAmenist

x :oops:
Last edited by tc_31_fillAmenist on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ButterflyGarden

The original link isn't working. Where do I find out what google thinks of me?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

https://www.google.com/settings/ads/onweb

I notice mine already changed again since yesterday and the arts and crafts thing disappeared again...

lorax
Greener Thumb

stella1751 wrote:
lorax wrote:Apparently, I'm a nonentity with very limited preferences. They're missing an awful lot of interests, as well.

Games - Online Games

Your demographics
Lorax, I think you have to really be into online shopping to get on some of these lists. Because I work out of my home and secretly yearn to be a hermit, I do a lot of my shopping online. It just seems easier to have something delivered than it does to scrape snow and ice off the car, warm it up, drive on slick roads, and clash elbows with other shoppers at a regular store. The mountain comes to Mohammed at my house 8)
If that's the case, then it should definitely also think I'm heavy into shoes. :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

This might be right up-to-the-minute info on Google, et al.

On Point will have their 2nd hour on "Google, Facebook, and Your Privacy, The rules are changing. They say it's great for you and but is it?"

https://onpoint.wbur.org

I noticed the little, "we are changing policy - this is important" on a couple of different websites just in the last couple of days. I tried to wade into it a little but hardly got past the - "this will really benefit you" malarky! Okay, maybe it will enhance my search efforts. Immediately, I suspect that they are just data mining and the real enhancement, will be just what we have talked about here!

Look, I am already suspicious that online media knows so much about my reading preferences that they are feeding me the news that they think I will agree with and want to read! I'd really, really rather get information as close to reality as possible . . . please! I know, I've got a bias - and the writer of the news has a bias - but, please, let me deal with as many well-presented facts as I can deal with in the time I have to deal with them. I can read and appreciate opinion and don't require "balance" on every dang thing but . . . don't feed me pablum!

Anyway . . . one good thing about being olde . . . I'm not much of a consumer of material things . . . :wink: For those of you who are still out in the market every day - you are being treated like tom turkeys being lured in close enuf for a shot! I am so sorry for you!

I am a terrible listener because - I can't hear! Radio attempted-listening is for my time in a parking lot. Fortunately for others, I can keep my windows up at this time of year. But if you get a chance to listen to the program, Tom Ashbrook always seems to offer his guests a chance to present some facts and opinions for his listeners to mull over.

Steve,
who may strap on the headphones here at home today so as to listen to Tom & guests :?: There is a "Ways to Listen" link on that webpage . . . and, your local public radio station will have a schedule :idea: .

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

It is very simple to find news from both ends of the ideological spectrum but increasingly difficult to find facts. I noticed that my Google snapshot didn't mention news although I read real newspapers as well as publications from Murdoch and company as well as HuffPo and Firedog Lake. Google seems to ignore news searches.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Anyone know anything about Startpage.com?

Eric

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”