Nickysflowers

Hydrangea seed

Hello.. From what I have heard hydrangeas do not produce seeds? I had recieved a small patch from a friends garden she dug up for me. This is the second year I have had them and I found a seed pod on it with one single seed? Will it grow into a hydrangea plant?( they have a white flower I'm unsure of the type it is) thank you ~Nicky~ :?: [/quote]

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

o, while some may have sterile flowers, some can produce seed. However, plants grown from seed may not be true to their parent and may differ somewhat. If you want to have a true copy of the original plant, you should try propagating from cuttings instead.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Answering again due to the odd and confusing typo on my original reply....

While some hydrangeas may have sterile flowers, some can produce seed. The seeds occur in 1/4 to 5/16 inches long capsules that have over 8 ribs... each full of dull brown seeds; about 50++ teeeny seeds per rib. These seeds will produce a hydrangea plant. However, plants grown from seed may not be true to their parent and may differ somewhat. If you want to have a true copy of the original plant, you should try propagating from cuttings instead (this method is preffered because it is obviously faster). FYI - there are mail order companies out there that will sell hydrangea seeds. It will take longer to see blooms if you use this technique but it is cheaper and fun.

Nickysflowers

Ok I'm on here from my iPhone. Am I able to upload a photo someway to be sure it is a hydrangea lol :?:

Nickysflowers

https://m1241.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/nckysflowers/photo-1.jpg.html

Nickysflowers

https://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/nckysflowers/

Nickysflowers

[img]https://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/nckysflowers/photo-1.jpg[/img]

Nickysflowers

Just found outs phlox thank you so much for the info :)

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hmmm, the flowers are not too clear so I am not sure about them but the shape of the leaves does not look like the shape of the hydrangea leaves. They are more heart shaped than the ones in the photo.

Did you just take the picture? Is this shrub currently blooming for you in Ohio? Or is this an old photo? Hydrangeas in the northern hemisphere should be mostly dormant now. They should have no leaves and browned out blooms.

Nickysflowers

From what some one told me on the plant identification form is that it is a phlox. But the picture was from before it went dormant.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Oh I just saw your other note... yes. Phlox it is. "It" was hinting that to me because I have a pink phlox but I could not quite make it out. I guess the the different color threw me for a loop.

Nickysflowers

I'm so glad I now know what it is... Now it's a phlox seed hunt!! :)

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”