OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Xtreme Gardening

So today I got a surprice in the mail, I got a kit of Xtreme Gardening most of the things are just what I needed like Root Hormones by Microbes and it has tea brew kit also fertilizers and more stuff even with a huge Xtreme Gardening sticker lol, some stuff I don't know how to use but its a good way to start learning, besides I got all this for free!!! [img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/2012-01-27131154.jpg[/img]

greenstubbs

You can't beat free!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Yea and I heard good reviews from people websites and even John at Growing Your Greens, I hope this is what people say, I think everyone should checkout there facebook they give good info there and free kits all the time. Hahaa I kinna sound like a commercial, this makes me wana start a compose tea too bad I don't know how

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

OROZCONLECHE wrote:... this makes me wana start a compose tea too bad I don't know how
Allow me to help. This [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17097]Sticky on Aerated Compost Tea[/url] will show you how, but be sure you're comfortable and up for a good read. Maybe just a few pages at a time...it's 34 pages long! Very detailed, very thorough, and very friendly/chatty! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

From what ive seen on google I need other materials well if I do I would buy them later with time for now ill keep it basic and simple till spring gets here

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, for the aerated compost tea (ACT) , you need a decent sized bucket, an airstone and an aquarium pump and probably some kind of filter.

Since that sounds fairly complicated to me, what with having to time the brew and clean/ sterilize the equipment when you are done, I make a compost infusion instead: put a shovel of compost in a bucket, add rain water (or tap water that has sat over night, or water from the pond - just not chlorinated), add a glug of molasses, and stir with a paint stirrer. I keep stirring it every few minutes for an hour or so to give the microbes a chance to get going. I'm sure it doesn't end up as microbe-rich as real ACT, but it's good stuff and great for being able to spread compost around more of my garden.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I really like the products that Xtreme Gardening sells. I use the Azos for cloning my tomatoes it works great. I also use there mycos and calcarb great products. I would recommend them.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

@Dusty, Ama take ur word for it, well I mean I have already so yea I hope its good stuff, and @Rainbow, I can do that sound cool to do ill just get a five gallon bucket and use some sort of water or like you said let it sit and mix some compose for a few hours, seems easier than going to get all the other equipment thanks for the info

bellabonbon

Did this organic fertilizer produce good results? Was it worth the cost of ordering it? I don't want to spend money on organic fertilizer gimmicks unless they truly work. I hope you post some pictures of your garden this year.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

the products he is using are mycorrhizae fungi's and azos which is a soil bacterium. What I do with these products is to create a soil biology that works mycorrhizae fungi works in a symbiotic relationship with the roots of 95 percent of the plants out there they actually attach them selves to the roots of the host plant. they help breakdown nitrogen to a state that the plant can absorb. as does the azos I have been using mycorrhizae fungi for several years they work extremely well for me. helps plants grow and absorb nitrogen helps with drought tolerances if I were you I would read as much as I could about this subject I love my myko's

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Their products are really expensive... Is it really worth it? I was thinking of getting one bag of the beneficial fungi and another of the beneficial bacteria but only if it will make a big enough difference. I did see better prices on ebay but still very expensive!!

What do you guys think?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Yes, for the aerated compost tea (ACT) , you need a decent sized bucket, an airstone and an aquarium pump and probably some kind of filter.

Since that sounds fairly complicated to me, what with having to time the brew and clean/ sterilize the equipment when you are done, I make a compost infusion instead: put a shovel of compost in a bucket, add rain water (or tap water that has sat over night, or water from the pond - just not chlorinated), add a glug of molasses, and stir with a paint stirrer. I keep stirring it every few minutes for an hour or so to give the microbes a chance to get going. I'm sure it doesn't end up as microbe-rich as real ACT, but it's good stuff and great for being able to spread compost around more of my garden.

With your method do you use it right away?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes, absolutely!

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I use it from the time I start my plants till I transplant it has made huge differences in my garden. in new beds wow it really helps mycorrhazal fungi and adding rock dust to my gardens has had a dramatically helped my garden less water stronger plants less diseases.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Would just the 6oz bag of Azos be enough for a home garden? I don't know how much you use and I need to order online since no one around here carries it.

applestar
Mod

I'm hearing good things about Azomite, but my understanding is that it is a trademark name for rock dust mined in Utah. Now for my money, Utah seems a long way to truck anything heavy, not to mention the word "mined" sticks in a sore spot.

Trace minerals, volcanic rock, aluminum silicate....

Volcanic sediment is often touted as great source of fabulousness. I think Lorax mentioned it relative to the Ecuadorian soil and I think that's part of the Japanese Akadama and some other black mud (that I can't remember the name of) mystique for Bonsai. I'm sure that is true.

For me, greensand is a more local source of trace minerals but I don't think there is anything volcanic about them and the mineral composition is marine sediments and closer to other marine sources like kelp. I'm trying to find a comparison study/chart.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

there is a site called remineralize.org that talks a lot about different types of rocks and there benefits from ground up river rock to glacial rock ground up to lava ground up and granite. I use granite and lava and I will probably get some river rock also..my garden seems to love it and the flavor my tomatoes have now kick butt...oh yeah I do use Azomite once in a while I just cant afford it very often when I can get a ton of lava or granite in the back of my truck for less than 20 bucks at the sand and rock pit.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”