Tonio
Green Thumb

1st Daikon

1st pulls(young) on some of my Daikon. I have them under row covers along with carrots, and green onions. You can see the hidden carrot (LOL) in there started about the same time... hmmm why they so slow??
T

Sorry for the lame presentation LOL :)

[url=https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/ttonio/IMG_0743.jpg][img]https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/ttonio/th_IMG_0743.jpg[/img][/url]

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Nice. I pickled a bunch of store bought Daikon. I was thinking about growing some this year but don't they get really huge?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

They look nice! I've never tried Daikon....how is it used? what does it taste like?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Its similar to a radish or is a radish. It has a very mild taste, almost taste like jicama. Sort of a neutral flavor, watery etc. I made pickles out of it. I have seen Daikon with huge roots over a foot. They sell it at the store in chunks though.
Last edited by PunkRotten on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

[img]https://www.houseofflameandglass.com/letssharing/images/MAD_daikon.jpg[/img]

richard64

Hmmm... wondering how it would taste pickled!

applestar
Mod

Daikon contains enzymes/amino acids that help digestion and is often served raw in super thin long strips (looks like noodles) with sashimi. I like the Asian sweet and sour pickles. You can use the young daikon like any fresh radish.

They are also great in soups and stews (not thickened with starch) with almost any kind of meat -- chicken, pork, beef, and seafood, as well as no meat miso soup. (well miso can go in the meat soups as well).

My kids also like the pictured large winter variety (usually sweeter when cooked) boiled in konbu broth. They like them plain, but I prefer those with peanut butter, tahini (sesame butter) or miso sauce. I usually make the sauces from scratch. There's a Chinese soybean or blackbean-based sauce that is sold commercialy that works well, but I can't think of the name at the moment.

:lol: I love that when I try to comment thoroughly and without making any silly mistakes, I end up looking up something and learn something new.

So, I wanted to verify that winter daikon is supposed to be sweeter nearer the top and hotter in flavor nearer the tip:
When grown in areas that experience winter freezes, daikon protects itself from freezing by increasing the sugar content nearer the top closer to the soil surface. 8)

I also remembered/was reminded about dried daikon -- they are cut in strips and packaged. Best ones are supposed to be air/freeze dried in the snow countries in winter -- this is said to intensify the sugar content. They are reconstituted in water (discard soaking water) and then stewed. I haven't had one of those in a long time. I *think* they turn out similar to stewed sauerkraut and polish sausage (except I think the usual meat here is fresh pork) but I'm not sure. I don't have time to go looking it up again. :wink:

Tonio
Green Thumb

I like to make pickles- shiozuke (salt pickling), though takuan is good too. roots and greens!!

https://shizuokagourmet.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/takuanjapanese-pickled-daikon-basic-recipe/

Another good recipe is a finely gated to put on top of sun dried fish and BBQ'd. Or top of tofu.

Yeah, they can get hugh- but can get bitter/hotter too. The green tops do get hot, but cultivars have green shoulders.

Colder weather does give a better taste, but the young picking tasted good- not bitter/hot.I mainly wanted give them a try, as San Diego winter never has a frost. Mainly to see how they react to my soil, and to help break up the soil.

T

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Well thanks guys....now I have something ELSE I'll have to try. Start from seeds? I don't think I've ever seen daikon seeds in the store, which muct mean I'd probably have to order them.....?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well I fermented Daikon not exactly pickles. I cut it all up in coins, then sliced that up. Then sprinkled salt and let sit for 10 mins. Pretty much the same method when making sauerkraut. Then massage it all and squeeze the juices out. Then I added some coriander and all spice. Then just stuffed this into jars and let ferment for about 8 days.

applestar
Mod

Two reliable sources are Johnny's and Kitazawa Seeds.

Tonio
Green Thumb

I got my Daikon seeds from a Japanese grocery store.

Along with some takuan LOL.

T

Alan in Vermont

I'm not sure if it is specific varieties of Daikon or all of them but but they are used to break up compacted soil. They grow so big that they can break up plowpan as they. Planted late, August here in our climate, thye get frost killed in late September and the root rots out over the winter/next spring leaving channels for water/air to get down into the ground. I'm going to try a test plot with them this year where I have some compaction from a field road to deal with.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”