PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

How to care for Cyclamen persicum?

Hi,

Someone gave me this plant a few months ago. About a month ago it started to lose all its leaves. I read they go dormant in the summer. So I don;t think this plant is dormant now. I have not watered it in awhile. Should I do so?

What are some general care tips? Thanks

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't grow them as an indoor plant. Mine grow in a deeply shaded area in my yard. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I've forgotten what time of year the flowers appear. Might be late spring, but I really don't pay much attention, since I don't give them any special care at all. I'm always surprised by the flowers. They're among my favorites, and I'll be walking around my yard and suddenly see them. Like little gems! I think to myself, or sometimes exclaim aloud, "Oh, look! The cyclamen are blooming!"

Mine are in deep shade, close to the base of a hedge and somewhat under a rhododendron, on the north side of my house. They get watered by the rain in the winter, and in the summer, by my irrigation system. I didn't even plant them. They just showed up one day. :)

I've heard they like the same care as African violets, I.e. a rapidly draining soilless potting mix on the acidic side, water from the bottom until well soaked, allow to become fairly dry before watering again. That's also the conditions mine grow in outdoors, except they're in soil that has had a lot of bark mulch applied over the years, so it's quite coarse. Oh, and I'd keep them in a north window, or fairly well back from any other window. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”