Avonnow
Green Thumb

Help I have a problem - what is wrong with me!

Today I got another order of seeds in :D and as I was putting them away, I begain to feel as though I might have a problem. Some people gamble, some smoke, and some collect. Well I think I collect seeds. I buy way too many seeds. :roll: If you all actually saw the size of my garden you would think I am nuts - my husband does. I can't stop buying seeds. Those magazines come in and I just browse, browse browse. :shock: Please tell me I am not alone. I live on a .25 acre lot with a house and a pool and a front yard I can't plant in due to the landscaping already there. I do not have that much roomin the back for a huge garden. This one picture is just the tomato seeds I have in one of those containers, each of those containers is filled with different cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, root veggies, beans, lettuce, eggplants, peas, beans. and its filled and I have some others on the side. Is there a name for this disease. I do not want to be a SEED Hoarder. :shock: I think I may have to donate some to a good cause.
Even though I did start this year and have them growing quite nicely - over 21 types of tomato seed, if I don't clear some land I will not have room. Good lord what has happened to me. :?:

[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/DSCF2287.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/DSCF2290.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/DSCF2289.jpg[/img]

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Hello, My name is Susan. I stopped at the garden center (small private) and bought 2 packs seed. I was rewarding myself for... what? I did drive past both the ice cream and coffee shops.
Yes, have some tax stuff for yarn side due tomorrow, market on Saturday. Can I mess with a few peat pellets and bigger pots Sat PM? Please?!

If there's a 12 step I am in, and a permanent fixture.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Too funny! Yep, you have lost it. Hee hee.

applestar
Mod

:) :D :() :lol: :-() lmfao

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have a small gardening area too and I got tons of seeds. I knew I was becoming a seed hoarder. I started to think realistic about it. I have enough tomato and peppers seeds for years if I were to plant a new varieties each year.

So now I do not trade or buy or ask for any in free offers. I have a lot of herb seeds, but there still is some herbs seeds I want. I am pretty loaded with veggie seeds. Probably the only thing I need more of are flower seeds. But then again, I have only a little space so even a few types of flowers and it is more than enough. Just stop buying and start using. You can only use so much.

And if you see discounted seed packets, or people are offering some for free fight the urge to get them. Realistically you have enough seeds to last you years probably. So start using them up.

applestar
Mod

YES, Avon. All those poor BABIES, waiting to grow. :P

...did that help? :>
(I won't tell you how much seeds *I* have ho...er STORED. :wink:)

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Ha I Just started this Year and I have so many seeds at this point, I just go to the store and get them knowing I might not be able to grow them, I have a box almost like yours but its not organized

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

carol deppe encourages seed hoarding...at least of things you know you like.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Her book Resilient Gardener looks interesting and maybe would be a good selection for another HG Book Club reading. But I haven't (yet?) read it, so why does she encourage seed hoarding? I understand saving your own seed. But seed does tend to get less viable, especially after the first 2-3 years. So if you have way more seed than you can use, a lot of it will just get wasted.

I'm in that situation myself - my hyacinth bean vine especially, is very productive of seeds and now I have jars of them. I would give them away, but some of them are from before 2011. I would give them away, but I don't know how viable they are. I wouldn't want to give someone dud seeds, but it seems like a lot of work to do germination tests, just so I can give them away. But either I get that together or I pitch a ton of seeds....

@Avonnow - your organization and seed storage looks wonderful, but for as little garden space as you have, it does seem like you've gone a little nutz with it (a lot nutz :) ?). Are you planning to move to a farm in the next couple years? :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Ah yes, Avon...she was such a quiet neighbor and kept to herself......we did wonder why she was adding storage sheds.......

soil
Greener Thumb

you should see my seed stash, its huge.

yours is very organized I like that.

right now there are 4 boxes covering my 8ft couch, full of seeds in packets, bags, small jars, in the dried fruit, etc... trees, veggies, herbs, flowers, grasses, grains, the list goes on!

my point being, its ok. if there is anything in the world worth saving its seeds, because one person can make a HUGE difference in the way species/varieties of plants go extinct by just saving seed, growing it out and multiplying that seed.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I feel your pain/joy. I have about the same amount of land and have just under 100 tomato varietys alone. Just made a trade with someone one here and am waiting on a Robin of seeds that is going around the country. I even just told my last trade victim that I am addicted. My wife and I talked about leasing land or finding someone to let us grown on theirs last night.

Heck we were talking about doing a business. I know a guy that grows about 8000 tomatoes alone about 1000 vartiey's. That is his business though.

So want to trade? :oops: :wink: :shock:

Dono

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Six years ago, I took seeds of all varieties that I grow, and enough to plant a nice sized garden and had them sealed up in a tin can. It is not a vacuum seal, but the lid is just put on and sealed. The idea was to hopefully preserve the seed for future use if it became impossible to get seed for some reason.

I do know that the viability of seed decreases with time and some types lose the ability to germinate quickly, within a couple of years. Other seed seems to retain viability for much longer.

I have no idea if those seeds would grow or not after six or more years sealed up in a tin can. At least they have been in an atmosphere with constant humidity and temperature. The can is stored in the basement where the temperature doesn't vary much.

I keep telling myself I ought to just open the can and plant the seed to see if this was a good idea in the first place. I ought to do another one I guess after that much time to have some fresher seed.

I too have a box full of seeds. I never seem to plant all of a variety that I have, so each year there is a little of this and a little of that left over. I seldom toss any, so it collects. I also save some seeds from my plants. I do mark the date on seed pkts so I have an idea how old it is.

When advising people on planting gardens, I always suggest using fresh seed packaged for the current year. I often plant older seeds, but sometimes I get disappointed by the germination rate. Lettuce is one that doesn't last long.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good idea Jal I never throw seed away.

If it were me I would use or at least refreshed the seed stores you have.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Well............. before I go shopping, I will do an inventory and see what I really need. I think most of the stuff in my box will still germinate, but I will buy fresh lettuce seed for sure.

Last year at the market, I could have sold lots of beets and I only had a few. They were in demand and I didn't plant enough. I sold every beet I took.

I grew my own beet seed two years ago, but didn't last year. In order to do that I have to keep a beet in the pit through winter then plant it in the spring. They have a biennial growth habit. I got a lot of beet seed two years ago, but shared it with my son and planted what I had left. I can't remember if I put a beet in the pit this year or not.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You got it down James.

I have quite a seed store myself when the end of the world comes in Dec :lol: we should meet up and put our seeds to use and take over the world with the only fresh produce around.

Muwahahahahahahah!!!! <----(evil laugh)

estorms

I don't buy anything until I dig the hole. That way my enthusiasm can't get ahead of my strength.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I wish I could have had that kind of restraint. I would not have gotten married either time. lol that would have saved me a fortune. Oh well I will just buy more seeds.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”