Gini

Curly Top virus,How do I get rid o that??????

I have Curly top virus on my tomatoes!!
It has already killed two plants.. :cry:
WHAT can I do to get rid of that?I have read that Petunias repel that.
Has anyone done that with good results?

Please help,,I am getting sad and discouraged already about this :( :cry: ..

garden girl
Cool Member

Do you see any leafhoppers on you plants? If you have dark spots, you have spotted wilt virus, which is similar.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Start by mixing milk and water in a 50:50 ratio and spraying on all of the leaves of all of your tomatoe plants just as a preventative measure, and make sure that you obeserve your tomatoe plants to see if you can see any signs of what Garden Girl has mentioned above.

Gini

opabinia51 wrote:Start by mixing milk and water in a 50:50 ratio and spraying on all of the leaves of all of your tomatoe plants just as a preventative measure, and make sure that you obeserve your tomatoe plants to see if you can see any signs of what Garden Girl has mentioned above.
Indeed,,I have seen those leafhoppers.. :( ..And al the signs point to that,,the curles leaves and the discoloration..

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Okay, use the milk mixture anyway as it will aid in the build up of a healthy flora and fauna population on the foliage of the plant.

But, also try spraying no more than once a week, some neem oil on the foliage as well.

You can buy neem oil at just about any nursery either as a soap or some other applicative manner. Even if the instructions on the bottle say to use more often, do not use this product more than once (twice at absolute most) a week because it can have negative effects on Bees and Bee populations in North America are seriously under stress right now.

Read the thread on Neem Oil in the "What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere" Forum at the bottom of the page.

Gini

opabinia51 wrote:Okay, use the milk mixture anyway as it will aid in the build up of a healthy flora and fauna population on the foliage of the plant.

But, also try spraying no more than once a week, some neem oil on the foliage as well.

You can buy neem oil at just about any nursery either as a soap or some other applicative manner. Even if the instructions on the bottle say to use more often, do not use this product more than once (twice at absolute most) a week because it can have negative effects on Bees and Bee populations in North America are seriously under stress right now.

Read the thread on Neem Oil in the "What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere" Forum at the bottom of the page.
Ok,,I will buy some neem oil and spray it.
I have already sprayed the milk.Maybe a stupid question but do I have to use whole milk?How often do I spray the milk?
Do I do it after or before the neem oil?
I also have Melon,sweet pepper,cilantro,basil,,Do I spray them as a preventive matter?

In advance I would like to thank you for your help,,I am SO new at this and I REALLY want to succeed with my garden,,..

:wink:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh, I would say once or twice a week should be fine to spray the milk on the plant.

You don't have to use whole milk, 2% would be fine and I'm assuming the skim would work but, 2% or whole would be better. 1% would be okay as well. Just use what you have. All you are trying to do here is encourage a healthy flora and faunua on your plant.

If you have a compost pile, take some of the compost and place it in a bucket with some water and vigourously stir it at least twice a day and spray that onto the foliage as well.

Yep, you should really spray all your plants. Use the Neem Oil sparingly and only as needed. You could consider this a mild insecticide. So, only spray this product on plants that need it and definately do not overuse it.

I would probably alter the neem oil and milk biweekly but, they shouldn't really effect one another.

Gini

opabinia51 wrote:Oh, I would say once or twice a week should be fine to spray the milk on the plant.

You don't have to use whole milk, 2% would be fine and I'm assuming the skim would work but, 2% or whole would be better. 1% would be okay as well. Just use what you have. All you are trying to do here is encourage a healthy flora and faunua on your plant.

If you have a compost pile, take some of the compost and place it in a bucket with some water and vigourously stir it at least twice a day and spray that onto the foliage as well.

Yep, you should really spray all your plants. Use the Neem Oil sparingly and only as needed. You could consider this a mild insecticide. So, only spray this product on plants that need it and definately do not overuse it.

I would probably alter the neem oil and milk biweekly but, they shouldn't really effect one another.

I have the neem oil,,
Another question:
Is it ok to spray it on the tomato flowers as well?And when (if) I have fruits,,Can I spray it on the fruits?

Thank you again,..

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Should be, but no more than once a week.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”