wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

another boring update

Just got back from Vegas! Successfully passed McCarran Int'l Airpport security check w/flying colours! (pun intended) My first real trip since surgery. Next stop, Alaska in the summer! Anybody want to babysit spouse & me for a couple hours while we're there? Fairbanks, Anchorage, Sitka, Juneau, Seward, & Denali NP., not necessarily in that order. Stopover in Seattle or Vancouver on the way home. Since last surgery has been a success and I feel better than I have in three years, there's now a betting pool (not really) about what's next: carpal tunnel repair or knee replacement. Sigh. Can't seem to shake the winter blahs, though. Anyone else having trouble gearing up for gardening? Haven't cracked a single catalogue (Gasp!). Well, enough moaning for now.
Happy Gardening, all!
Wing.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Wing!! So glad you are able to travel now and enjoy life more. I do remember reading about your surgery. I didn't respond then as I wasn't on any of the boards. I was in a deep depression at the time after returning from my post Katrina trip to New Orleans. It took me several months to be me again.

My hubby had a similar surgery where they screwed a titanium plate into his neck. They had to go through the throat too. He also has a knee replacement and always gets stopped going through airport security. It was a riot when we travelled to South America. He looks a bit Arabic and that also set off their alarm bells!

Alaska is a dream of mine so say 'hello' to the place for me. I have it on my list of places I want to go along with British Columbia and Antarctica. Would you believe I don't like cold weather? :?

Good to have you back!
Newt

Sercee

Wing,

I'm glad to hear you're doing better! I've only gone through one surgery, and that sucked pretty bad, so you have my admiration that you've made it through so much!

I have a suggestion to help with the depression. I don't know what the weather is like where you are right now, but get some sunlight. Even a short stint in a tanning bed if the skies are grey will help. The warmth and peace (that I feel anyway!) might help you get into the mood more, and remind you what's coming up!

Good luck and take it easy!
Sercee

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, folks! Newt, I'll certainly carry your, and anyone else's greetings, to AK! I have unlimited luggage space for that sort of stuff, and I doubt I'll neet a quart baggie... Speaking from experience, depression is no fun. I am trying to get outside, if only to walk around the block, in nice weather. Yes, I have the plate in my neck, and did I mention the betting pool for my knees and/or carpal tunnel? Sigh. Someday, when I grow up and get I'net at home, I can post more. In the meantime, your posts keep me thinkin', and cheer me up. I appreciate the "positivity" (is that a word?) of this forum--y'all are good folks.

Happy gardening,
Wingdesigner

Newt
Greener Thumb

Wingdesigner, you are so very welcome! I find that going outdoors is helpful, even if I can't garden, so I know where you are coming from. I spent the better part of 9 years in and out of a wheelchair and bed. Towards the end of winter I would get 'cabin fever' in large doses.

Newt

garden girl
Cool Member

Don't want to butt in on your talk here.....well, yeah I do. :wink: I'm just a young, married gal with a child at home, but in my experience, gardening is great for depression. Gets my spirits up to see new life pop up, that's why I keep planting. I have lettuce growing in a window right now. It's so enjoyable to keep an eye on when going outside doesn't happen. What is it with gardening? The warmth of the sun, that new life popping up? We gardeners are a hopeful bunch, always planning for a bright sunny future.
Try getting out old pictures of your yard or get a great new magazine for motivation :D

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, folks! Maybe I'll finally get around to diagramming my yard. Sure. I do enjoy prowling around, seeing what has come up, and what is surviving our return to winter (2 wks and counting) after prematurely warming up. Good thing I didn't uncover the Japanese maples, they would REALLY be unhappy. My Japanese tree lilac is drooping, even the squill, daffs and chionodoxa are drooping. Poor things. I'm not even uncovering the rain barrels yet, until nighttime temps stay above 33 for a week. They were too expensive to risk freezing and cracking. I'm working on a new 'puter at home, one that will handle DSL so I can get on line from home. I'm finally getting tired of going to the library every time I want to check my e-mail. Which means that, when finally installed, I'm gonna be a pest until the novelty wears off. How long does that take? :D

Happy Gardening, all.
Wingdesigner

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”