GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Garden new year's resolutions

I seem to remember this being brought up last year. And I think I remember a lot of people swearing against overcrowding again. :) So, an new year, time for reflection and resolution. How did you do this past year with your previous resolution. And what is your goal for this year?

Mine last year was, without a doubt, not to grow things so "jammed-together". I did do a better job, but my garden also expanded by about 50%. I think I actually ended p wasting space last year because of the odd shapes of my beds. This year, switching to container gardening, I should have the same space, but a lot more organize and uniform. So planning should be even easier.

My other big goal last year was to do a better job hardening off. :oops: I failed miserably. I the most effort I put into hardening anything off was 1 day if I remember correctly. I have a few plants this year that are/ will be grown from the single last seed, or two rhizomes, etc. I better get it right, or I'm out that plant! And a couple of them are somewhat irreplaceable.

Good luck to everyone in this 2012 growing season! If the world really does end on 12/21/12, you have 355 days left to grow your best garden ever :roll:

P.S. I'll be pointing and laughing on day 356.

EDIT: I misspelled "resolutions" :oops:
Last edited by GardenRN on Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

First off I I'll be laughing with you at 356. LMFAO

As far as NOT crowding again, yeah right. Give me some acreage and we will talk.

I do plan to grow many more tomatoes this year. I also will not plant a bunch of junk I won't use, that will help with the crowding somewhat. (again, yeah right :wink: )

My biggest resolution of sorts is to save more seed to share with people. You would think after 15-20 years of gardening I would have this down but...... :oops:

As I type this and pause to stare blankly out the window. I VOW this year I will be more prepared with a plan and not wait till the last minute like usual. Though it works out well I just hate rushing things.

Happy new year everyone. May we all have a very bountiful garden this year. :flower:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I hear ya on the more acreage Gix!! But, I always try to tell myself, if I grow fewer plants more correctly, I won't need the extra plants. Ad I may even actually have more. I was reading last night that, if prepared properly, you can get about 1000 crates out of once half acre of asparagus, yet the average yield is only about 100. That's a bit ridiculous. Although you have to account for all the people growing it that aren't in optimal zones. I'm sure that drags down the average drastically.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I plan to crowd my plants just as I always have in my 96 sq. ft of planting area at the house, PLUS my 32 sq ft of planting area in the rented container!!! Got lots of tomatoes this year from the 32 sq. ft. container, as well as lots of basil. The eggplant and squash, though, were total flops, even in the full southern explosure location. :(

Right now I have kale, chard, the usual winter veg. suspects, growing in the 32 sq. ft. and my home veg. beds are not tended. It's been a difficult couple of months physically, so they've gone to...ah...pieces. Yes, that's what we'll call it. :wink: Maybe tomorrow, after DH and I prune the blackberries. OMG :shock: Without the seasonal winter rains, our inner clocks haven't gone off for the pruning, but without the pruning, we'll be hip deep in sheep dip when those vines start growing again in February.

I have fava beans growing mostly on their own in my 16 sq. ft. SFG at MIL's house. I hope they're getting water....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My resolutions are the same again this year, and only one: I resolve to not make any more resolutions.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

To try to maintain control in the garden centers.
If I succeed it will be a first !

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DeborahL wrote:To try to maintain control in the garden centers.
That is a good one, it is hard isn't it? :lol: My problem is there are 5 places (Lowe's, Home Depot etc) close to me that are all right in the same area (all on the same road and within under 5 min of each other. Than there is a huge nursery just about 5 miles from me and two more that are about 10-15 miles from me in opposite directions.

I got it bad.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:
DeborahL wrote:To try to maintain control in the garden centers.
That is a good one, it is hard isn't it? :lol: My problem is there are 5 places (Lowe's, Home Depot etc) close to me that are all right in the same area (all on the same road and within under 5 min of each other. Than there is a huge nursery just about 5 miles from me and two more that are about 10-15 miles from me in opposite directions.

I got it bad.
Try 2 lowe's, 2 home depots, 2 tractor supply, 1 southern states, 4 different nurseries, 4 walmarts.......and a partridge in a pear tree. All within 15 minutes. And I'm constantly finding other places to look. But I don't need to buy anything, no......no......no! :roll:

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

A gardeners prayer "Lord give me the strength to drive by these nursery's and garden centers on my way home". Amen

The Mad Hatter

I will not start seeds in January....

Other than that this year I want to feet a real soil sample done.
Less plants for a more quality harvest. Last year was tough getting to the middle rows.
heavy duty tomatoes cages. I will build them this year.
improved irrigation via soaked hoses instead if the overhead sprinklers.
move the timer for the water garden to the garden area.
New overhead trellis for cucumbers and possibly beans
radishes, lettuce and chard will be replaced by more tomatoes, peppers and maybe beans.
Canning, canning and more canning.

T.M.H.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Gixx and Jeff, I don't have much hope for you either... :lol:

rockhound

I should get a dehydrator, but that's not a firm resolution just a thought. Need to hold the number of tomato varieties down to a minimum..... :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

rockhound wrote: Need to hold the number of tomato varieties down to a minimum..... :)
Same here. But I'm still looking for that regular tomato that out yields all the others for me. I found the cherry top producer in the Super Sweet VF 100. Amazing producer for me. So when I plant 15 different varieties, I just tell myself it's part of the search. :)

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I'd like to try the little, teeny currant types. I think it would be a real chore to pick even a handful, but they sure look like fun and sound good too.

Tonio
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:My resolutions are the same again this year, and only one: I resolve to not make any more resolutions.
LOL +1

But, wait, I actually have one this year !!! 8)

Beat the odds of this urban micro garden and work the soil for a great - quality, not quantity harvest.

T

ShawnKirkpatrick
Newly Registered

Mine is to 1. Not to over crowd... AGAIN. 2. Have straighter rows! :wink: and 3. To have a good year!!

Oh, and by the way, I'm new here sooooo. Hey!! :D

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Hi ! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi Shawn - welcome! I don't much even plant in rows, just fill up raised beds and plant lots of things between other things. Then you don't have to worry about straight! :) Nature abhors a straight line! :)

brandon558
Cool Member

Well lets see...

Grow more of what we'll eat..not so many hot peppers

Not over crowding

Start more seeds than buying plants

Keep learning and have a good year!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”