rootsy
Green Thumb

Be aware.. Very aware... Coming to a grocery store near you.

Plus likely from those who grow more than 2 acres of sweet corn a year. Think local growers who supply grocery stores, farmers markets and large farm stands.

https://www.monsanto.com/products/Pages/seminis-performance-series-sweet-corn.aspx

New for 2012... Stacked sweet corn from Seminis (Monsanto's Veg seed business). Bt + Glyphosate bred resistance. Commercial canneries and fresh market suppliers will transition to this in the next few years if trials continue to look promising. You won't be able to buy this in the small packets at your local garden center. I am sure you'll have to by 25,000 seed min bags (about 10 lbs). Only 5 available varieties at this time.

Received a coupon in the mail last weekend for $2 off per 1000 seeds from my supplier as an introductory offering. I have yet to receive new seed catalogs so I can only IMAGINE what this stuff is going to cost...

For an Xtra Tender Super Sweet (Non-GMO) hybrid I gave $5.71 / 1000 for 2011 and I planted 25,000 / acre for population...

I'll be sticking to the hybrids I've been growing, I haven't found anything that compares to it as far as taste and eating quality.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh man, gag me with a spoon! A Monsanto ad looking so pretty and wholesome and healthy!

Here's my prediction about what happens next after most of the fields have gone over to GMO corn and other crops with built in Roundup ready and Bt:

Lots of beneficial plants get wiped out with the Roundup (round up ready means the corn is designed to tolerate Round up herbicide, so that they can spray the fields with it to get rid of weeds competing with the corn), but a number of tough weeds become adapted to it, so that the Round up no longer works. And the Bt wipes out a bunch of butterfly and other insect species, but the toughest pests get adapted to it. So all we have done is eliminated more tools and strengthened the pest populations while removing some of their competitors.

Don't believe me? It's happening already:

"Just as the heavy use of antibiotics contributed to the rise of drug-resistant supergerms, American farmers’ near-ubiquitous use of the weedkiller Roundup has led to the rapid growth of tenacious new superweeds.

To fight them, farmers throughout the East, Midwest and South are being forced to spray fields with more toxic herbicides, pull weeds by hand and return to more labor-intensive methods like regular plowing.

“we're back to where we were 20 years ago,â€

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Good post Rainbow. :shock:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We could introduce the Starling to help with insect control. :roll: 200 million and it's still not working.

How about loading up the crop duster with nonresistant insects and inoculating all the fields.

How about stop ******* with nature!

Eric

Tilde
Green Thumb

I know I hardly have any land at all, but darnit I'm going to pot up some corn asap and give it a try.

https://lifeonthebalcony.com/how-to-grow-corn-in-a-container/

lorax
Greener Thumb

It's not coming within 1000 miles of my grocery stores. GMO anything is illegal in my country. :()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Another reason to move there!! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

From the long post above:

Here's my prediction about what happens next after most of the fields have gone over to GMO corn and other crops with built in Roundup ready and Bt:

Lots of beneficial plants get wiped out with the Roundup (round up ready means the corn is designed to tolerate Round up herbicide, so that they can spray the fields with it to get rid of weeds competing with the corn), but a number of tough weeds become adapted to it, so that the Round up no longer works. And the Bt wipes out a bunch of butterfly and other insect species, but the toughest pests get adapted to it. So all we have done is eliminated more tools and strengthened the pest populations while removing some of their competitors.

Here's a news item from AssocPress today:

When it was introduced in 2003, so-called Bt corn seemed like the answer to farmers' dreams: It would allow growers to bring in bountiful harvests using fewer chemicals because the corn naturally produces a toxin that poisons western corn rootworms. The hybrid was such a swift success that it and similar varieties now account for 65 percent of all U.S. corn acres ..... But over the last few summers, rootworms have feasted on the roots of Bt corn in parts of four Midwestern states, suggesting that some of the insects are becoming resistant to the crop's pest-fighting powers
https://news.yahoo.com/bugs-may-resistant-genetically-modified-corn-213322828.html

when will we ever learn?

and it took the rootworms less than 8 yrs to develop the adaptation! Very fast!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Bayer is already selling cotton and soybeans resistant to glufosinate, another weedkiller. Monsanto’s newest corn is tolerant of both glyphosate and glufosinate, and the company is developing crops resistant to dicamba, an older pesticide. Syngenta is developing soybeans tolerant of its Callisto product. And Dow Chemical is developing corn and soybeans resistant to 2,4-D, a component of Agent Orange, the defoliant used in the Vietnam War.
Sales took off in the late 1990s, after Monsanto created its brand of Roundup Ready crops that were genetically modified to tolerate the chemical, allowing farmers to spray their fields to kill the weeds while leaving the crop unharmed. Today, Roundup Ready crops account for about 90 percent of the soybeans and 70 percent of the corn and cotton grown in the United States.

But farmers sprayed so much Roundup that weeds quickly evolved to survive it. “What we're talking about here is Darwinian evolution in fast-forward,â€

tomf
Super Green Thumb

We live in scary times! :shock:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It makes me ashamed to be a human. :oops: :cry:

shadylane
Green Thumb

lorax wrote:It's not coming within 1000 miles of my grocery stores. GMO anything is illegal in my country. :()
I heard about Mexico finding GMO seed corn coming up in areas where they did not plant it. They too do not allow GMO seeds. So how did it get there?

And all that we know about it, and still we eat it. It's in the foods, canned frozen or dried. It has been found to have less vitamins and minerals for our health.

I've heard things that make me want to become my own Island...the DNA of plants are now showing signs of problems...One that comes to mind is hair growing out of babies mouths from drinking formula..how can we continue.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm opposed to GMO's and most especially to not having any choice about eating them because they re not labelled. But let's be careful about spreading rumors. Can you give any citations for the hair in babies' mouths thing?

I looked and the closest I could find was this:

Recent studies have shown that hamsters fed gmo soy are sterile within 3 generations. additionally, they have an unusual abundance of hair growth inside of their mouths (bleck!!). rats have shown in some gm studies to be infertile by the 2nd generation and have high infant mortality rates.
https://babymanualblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/new-studies-on-gm-foods-including-hair.html

That's hamsters not humans and even so, it gave a link to support that assertion, but when you follow the link (below), it talks about a bunch of health risks, but never mentions that I could find, the hair thing:

https://www.responsibletechnology.org/

lorax
Greener Thumb

shadylane wrote:
lorax wrote:It's not coming within 1000 miles of my grocery stores. GMO anything is illegal in my country. :()
I heard about Mexico finding GMO seed corn coming up in areas where they did not plant it. They too do not allow GMO seeds. So how did it get there?
Mexico is a lot closer to the US than I am - and all countries around me are also GMO free (Colombia, Peru). Hence, while GMO pollen might have made it across from Arizona or NM into Mexico proper (causing the GMO finding because those genes are engineered to be dominant), it's not going to cross the peninsula.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Mexico is a lot closer to the US than I am - and all countries around me are also GMO free (Colombia, Peru). Hence, while GMO pollen might have made it across from Arizona or NM into Mexico proper (causing the GMO finding because those genes are engineered to be dominant), it's not going to cross the peninsula.
I wouldn't be so confident. It only takes one person traveling with seed.

Eric

shadylane
Green Thumb

It was not an intent to give wrongful information or for the lack of it. I will contrite to those fabricated words that I passed. For I heard the story that way and apparently it was hamsters which being called "infants" with "hair mouths" I will indemnify future remarks.

This article speaks out for Mexico and other countries findings of GMO seeds at the near bottom of artical
https://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_9024.cfm

Also for Brazil which GMO seeds were found and planted illegally
https://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/brazil1060322.cfm

Here are a couple of sites on baby foods and GMO
https://www.cornucopia.org/2008/01/take_action/
https://organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”