cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Indoor stuff suddenly dying!

Hey guys, been away for a while garden is quiet, got a hard freeze last night that finally did the peppers in. However all my indoor plants suddenly are dying!
I have in a small indoor greenhouse Bell Peppers, Basil, and Catnip. The bellpeppers are kind of a lost cause because they all just got to one size and stopped... was hoping to keep them going indoors but I think I didnt plant them into bigger pots soon enough.
But all of them just started dropping leaves.
First the catnip. In a decent size container by itself, leaves just started disappearing. I thought, maybe the cat was getting to it (impossible green house would have fallen over if she was on it) hubby giving out too many leaves? nope... mystery. Its still good and bushy, but obviously missing a lot of leaves.
The basil, was only 1 stem but had big healthy leaves. Well, they all died off, but overnight, and I was left with a skeletal leaf... then the plant turned black and is now dead, all in less than a few days.
Then while watering the peppers I noticed a leaf, just up and fall off...
Any thoughts??? I can take a picture and post my little set up... its not much, but it has light, airflow, decent temps, watering regularly... I am at a loss!

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Bump?

:oops:

Halfway
Green Thumb

Shock? Temperature, light, humidity, trauma?

What kind of lights (spectrum) and what lighting schedule do you have them on?

applestar
Mod

The basil description is typical of cold draft hitting them -- sometimes from an open window or door -- during winter.

Did you lose heat -- to the point of like in the 40's ...°F at any time?

Thinking out loud here ...gas leak...you had a party and people dumped their alcohol in the pots (hey it can happen)...if you are using that vinyl green house over shelves (I *think* you were the one using it), the sun is lower in the sky/trees are bare outside (?) and direct sun maybe reaching the greenhouse, causing extreme temp/humidity fluctuations....

Heat vent location?

That's all I can think of at the moment.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Must be shock from going from outside to inside. Greenhouse is inside, yeah its the vinyl one with shelves. But its open so its the same temp as the rest of the house.
No house parties (darn) lol.
It finally up and died. The soil was very wet, so I am thinking it was way over watered.
Catnip seems to be coming around. So are the peppers.
The light is full spectrum I believe - its an actual grow light, 10 hours of light.
I think my basil just had shock from coming indoors. I may reattempt it though, because I love my basil!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”