Avonnow
Green Thumb

Help trying new tomatos

I am browsing the seed catalogs again. It literally blows my mind making a decision. I need some advice/help from other southern gardeners . What tomatoes do you find do well in a Florida type climate. I did get some made for the heat and humidity (supposedly) and they did not do well last year at all. Tropic, Floriadel, floradade and Solar Set, but I started too late I believe - I have started some of these again this week and what to buy something new. I am looking for a paste tomato, cherry tomato and just one to eat like fruit or for salads - I don't even mind a funky color. I figure maybe you all can help me make a decision. I have three raised beds and - I have limited area in my yard, so I plant a lot in big pots on my pool patio. I just can't bite the bullet and pick. I appreciate any suggestions -really truly. Thanks :D

hardland

I am in Sth FL. To be honest, it seems like your a little late for the FL season. I try to get 3-4 batches of tomato plants grown in the FL season. It takes me 4 weeks+ to get plants in the ground when starting from seed. 1st batch: seed start in mid Sept, in ground by mid October, harvest approx late January. My last batch is starting from seed now, will be in ground mid January and harvest end of April, early May. May is about as late as you can grow Toms in Sth FL, IMHO. I would go from this point with an early season type Tomato (70 days to harvest), that would be in your salads by mid April. Not sure what kind to suggest, I've got about 10 different kinds going and cannot really judge success yet. Mine are, Brandywine, Hillbilly, Abe Lincoln, Anahu, Mortgage lifter, Super sioux, purple russian, black krim and a few more. From my first batch, the Hillbilly and Abe lincoln seem to be doing best, will know taste in about 3-4 weeks. Hope this helps.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I do have some producing for the fall, I did not do them from seed, I bought them from local gardeners. My seeds just would not grow in August and September with rain and heat or they were lousy seeds,. I have right now some that are producing, one is Juliette, which I got from ACE and they were by far the best this fall. The others were chosen because they were different, but none of them are tremendous, I have some turning colors now, but they look sad. I am not sure if the local nurseries, take what they can or if they really research what is good for the area.I have Rutgers, Golden Boy, Black Prince, Mr, Stripey and they were all so so . It seemed all the plants struggled, they looked good,but I think the rain ( we had two bad runs of rain) rained for days and no sun, just did them in, that is why I am asking for suggestions. I am in central Florida not sure if I will get them in till end of January, but I have some of last years seeds already in pots. I want to try that Abe Lincoln for sure, just read an article about it. Sometimes you hear names and have no clue if anyone really has tried
them. thanks for suggestions. :D

hardland

How do you start your seeds? Do you sow in the ground outside?

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I have always used pots or a dome to start the tomatoes, I am so afraid to start them right in my raised bed - don't ask me why - I can do it with other stuff, but not tomatoes and peppers. I start them in small pots and then move them into the bed. I try to bury 75% of plant (like they show in all the books) Now I don't keep them in the house, it is warm enough, especially now outside - you think they would do better right in the ground, sure couldn't hurt to try it once that way. I figure in pots, in the winter I can always bring them in if we get cold like it was two years ago. Right now I have half in small pots and half in my Dome - the dome thing is nice when it's really cold, but honestly I prefer small little pots, but gotta get my monies worth out of the dome since I bought it. :lol:

hardland

I keep my seedlings under indoor grow lights for 3-4 weeks, then outside in the sun, gradually more sun each day to harden off. I've never tried toms straight in ground. too many issues.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I don't know if this will be of much help, Avonnow.

I remember when an old gardening friend in Houston was so pleased that Moreton Hybrid had come back on the market. This is an old-time hybrid - there are getting to be such things now :wink: .

This was Houston Texas and may not have a similar enuf climate to your home garden. Porter is also a variety from that part of the world. It is open-pollinated, been around for many years and was & is quite popular. I have grown Porter on a couple of occasions. It is a nice tomato - takes heat well and matures early.

Steve

hardland

It's quite amazing, the challenges down here in Sth FL growing Tomatoes, or I suppose other Veggies in the months of Oct thru March. In the last 2 or 3 years we have had temps in the low 30's, within 4 days of temps of 88+. In my experience, you prep for one temp, then get blasted by either extreme heat or extreme cold. I'm sticking to Tomatoes this year, 10 different kinds, have 45+ plants growing and seemingly healthy. Even a blind squirrel gets an Acorn now and again!

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I did get some made for the heat and humidity (supposedly) and they did not do well last year at all.
I did the same thing and got the same results. :?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”