Dixana
Greener Thumb

The ch-ch-ch-Chia herb garden

I was thinking about purchasing this, but then someone told me it does not use real soil to grow the plants. Has anyone ever had 1 and did they like it?
I need to start somewhere....I might die if I have to go several more months with out fresh herbs

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't used the chia, but you are right it has no soil. The trouble with it seems to be that the amount of growing medium is very limited, so quite soon you have to transplant your herbs into pots with soil.

I have an Aerogarden

https://www.aerogarden.com/?cid=ppc_g&gclid=CKz93_aP5KwCFYhdTAod5yF3oQ

for indoor herb growing all winter. This is my second winter of using it (the smallest version). This year it has lemon basil, tarragon, and marjoram. They are growing like weeds. I have to keep cutting them back to fit under the lights at their tallest expansion. It is also not soil growing, it is a self contained version of hydroponics. They give you nutrient packs and you just add one when the warning light comes on. It's more expensive (but you can use it over and over), but the advantage is you can grow your herbs in it all winter, just keep adding water and nutrients. Last year I grew my herbs in it all winter and then in the spring transplanted them into pots. They go through a good bit of transplant shock at that point, water roots not being the same as soil roots, but they made it.

But I also have a basil plant and a parsley plant in my living room in regular pots/ potting soil, that I started from seed early this year, grew outdoors, and brought in when it got cold.

The easiest thing would be just to sprout seeds in pots on a windowsill. Since you would have to move your chia plants into pots anyway, why not just start them there?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

It's pretty much impossible to find seeds here this time of year. The only gardening stuff of any variety available around here are herb gardens. The only other herb garden aside from Chia is one from fleet farm that only has basil cilantro and ......thyme? I need my fresh parsley! The Chia kit I found has 5.

Tilde
Green Thumb

If it's just for the seeds, I've gone through amazon (does helpfulgardener have an affiliate link?) to buy from Hirts - if you buy $3 worth of seeds then they'll ship without a shipping fee (it's a Hirts through amazon promo). For the $20 or so the Chia pack costs, you can get a few packs of seeds to get you started.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I know you have the internet, because you are here! :) I order all my seeds on-line and you can order them any time of year! Here's one place

https://www.jungseed.com/dc.asp?c=106

https://www.jungseed.com/search.asp?search=parsley

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I will have to reinvestigate, but Last time I looked no 1 that was offering free shipping and the price for a handful of herb seed packets was ridiculous.
I will have to check out amazon know if someone is offering free shipping.
Or.....did you already have a ton of seed catalogs I could think about just placing my order for the year.
I really wish I would have thought of this sooner :(

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”