Stimey
Newly Registered

Prune a Meyer Lemon tree to one main branch

I have seen Meyer Lemon trees for sale at English Gardens that are one branch with a bush on top and stand about 5 feet tall. I would like to prune my tree in this way but have no idea how to do it. I have a 4 year old bush that has green fruit on it now with branches everywhere. Has anyone been able to do this or am I stuck with a bush?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Could you get a good photo or two of your tree so that we can get an idea as to how to go about altering it to become a standard type.
It may not be practical to do but lets see.

:?

john gault
Green Thumb

Actually I got a meyer lemon tree and have been wondering the same thing since the limbs are starting to get a little crazy. I planted this tree last year and it's just starting to show growth, but in a pretty crazy way. Seems like too many of the limbs are starting at the very bottom and there's one limb (best seen in the sixth pic) that is starting to fall from it's own weight, so it sticks out quite a bit (I.e. it's not growing in that direction, it's falling in that direciton).

Probably not the best pics, but I'll see if I can get some later on, but if you want have a look. https://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/76gunner/Lemon%20Tree/

john gault
Green Thumb

Wow, I just took another look at those pics and they really suck, maybe I need to get a white sheet as a backdrop -- just too much green in those photos.

Nole62
Newly Registered

I have the same problem...do I cut back limbs that are 3-4 feet longer thin the rest of the tree? I know it's mid September, but they have no fruit and the new growth should harden by frost.

john gault
Green Thumb

john gault wrote:Actually I got a meyer lemon tree and have been wondering the same thing since the limbs are starting to get a little crazy. I planted this tree last year and it's just starting to show growth, but in a pretty crazy way. Seems like too many of the limbs are starting at the very bottom and there's one limb (best seen in the sixth pic) that is starting to fall from it's own weight, so it sticks out quite a bit (I.e. it's not growing in that direction, it's falling in that direciton).

Probably not the best pics, but I'll see if I can get some later on, but if you want have a look. https://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/76gunner/Lemon%20Tree/
I just did it. Took some lessons off youtube and bam a "new" tree :shock:

Greenhand
Newly Registered

Hello,
I'am new to the forum myself, but I have been reading all the great information everyone has been giving for a while, and have decided to join. One of my new hobbies is planting and caring for dwarf trees. I have a Meyers Lemon and Pomegranate tree that are six months old. They are growing well and love all the sun I' am giving them. I check the forcast frequently and bring them in when the temperature is going to be in the lower 30's, because I don't want to expose them to freezing. Today is a perfect day for them as they love the drizzel rain. I imagine they have a week or two left before I will need to bring inside for the winter. Blessings from Maryland!

Return to “All Other Fruit”