GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Anyone else started their garlic yet?

I am working on getting all of mine in the dirt still. Last year I planted about 60 plants and got about 45 back. I think a few were too shallow and the roots may have frozen. This year I bumped it up to about 200. It's taking up a lot of room in the plastic planters quick. I think this may be the one crop I decide to just throw down a row of black plastic, punch holes and drop cloves. Otherwise all of my planters will be full of garlic.

Anyone remember how long it takes the garlic to break ground? I don't remember and last year was the first year I did it "right", planting in the fall that is. My days have been hovering right around 60F and nights in the 40's, sometimes dipping into the 30's. Fairly sunny still and getting about 10 hours of sunlight. I'm guessing a week or two but I really don't remember. And I hate to keep peeking to see how they're doing. Sometimes I can't resist but in all honesty I generally don't think it's a good idea to disturb the plant that way.

pondlady

Mine are in the ground and I see green shoots peaking out of the ground.

bg
Cool Member

Not yet, it just started to get cool over here... but as soon as I get some I'll be doing so.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I planted a few cloves in mid OCT and all of them have green shoots. One is probably like 8-9 inches long.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would say 3 - 4 weeks depending on temp and moisture levels.

All but one of my variety's are poking through and pretty well at that.

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

Planted mine on October 22, and as of three days ago there was no sign of any growth above ground, but I haven't looked since then. I think in past years it was several weeks before I saw anything sprouting.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'll be planting Sunday. I better hurry up or Dono won't be happy with me. :wink:

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I'm behind too. I was telling myself all year that I was going to get it in the ground in mid october this year and here it is almost mid november and I'm playing catch up. I declare: by the end of the day tomorrow all of it will be in dirt!! Kids, school, work and responsibilities take up a lot of time though so I'm only partly to blame. :)

My thinking was that if I gave the roots time to get further into the ground they might have more luck surviving the cold. Guess we can compare bulbs planted deeper but at the same time to last year, and next year go earlier if we have to. Adjust the experiment to what I was able to get done. That's the ticket to success!! lol

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I'll be planting Sunday. I better hurry up or Dono won't be happy with me. :wink:

Eric
Don't make me bend you over my knee. :lol: :P

I have some bubils I forgot to put in I think I will put some of those in this weekend and see how they go. Never planted them before.

My Music and Chesnok Red were the first to come up.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Done! It's all in the ground thanks to the help of 2 master worm finders under the age of 5! lol. Got the rest of the garlic planted and I also dug up my asparagus roots from this past year and relocated them. WOW did they grow! They at least tripled in size! The kids thought they looked like octopuses :)

And I must say, I used to think the worm counts I heard were inflated. But after having paper and hay down for one season, I am getting about 7~10 good size worms with every shovel full of soil I turn over. Much better!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I planted a row of garlic in mid-October and it popped right up in about a week. I planted some more in early November and have seen no signs of it, so I may have missed the window for that.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:
DoubleDogFarm wrote:I'll be planting Sunday. I better hurry up or Dono won't be happy with me. :wink:

Eric
Don't make me bend you over my knee. :lol: :P

I have some bubils I forgot to put in I think I will put some of those in this weekend and see how they go. Never planted them before.

My Music and Chesnok Red were the first to come up.
A continuation of the summer, a day late and a dollar short. :( I did get my garlic in on Sunday. I planted close to 475 Music garlic and about 40 Chesnok Red. Thanks again, Gix!

I used the same grid that I used for spacing onions last year. I usually space my garlic 6" On-Center, but this year I did 4". I filled this grid 3.5 times.
2011 Copra onions.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC03307.jpg[/img]
2011 Copra onions.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Nice tool...where'd you get the grid? I lucked out and got a couple of warm days this week. @ in the upper 70s and 2 in the mid 60s. That should give the garlic a little boost. I was worried we were going to spend the rest of our time no warmer than 45 until spring.

I should have known better. Va has the craziest weather in the autumn and spring.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jeff,

It's a scrap off a animal panel. https://www.tractorsupply.com/utility-panel-5-ft-x-16-ft--3610480

The panel is slightly concave to match the raised beds.

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Jeff,

It's a scrap off a animal panel. https://www.tractorsupply.com/utility-panel-5-ft-x-16-ft--3610480

Eric
They make decent tomato trellis's as well.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

nice. I might have to grab a piece of something like that. Looks like it'd be good for keeping everything nice and uniform.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Double Dog, it's hard to tell from your pic (and the link brings up a blank page for me) what's the size of those cells in the grid?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It's the utility panel on this page.
https://www.greggfarmservices.com/panels.html

4" x 4" openings.

Eric

Tilde
Green Thumb

thanks, I couldn't tell from that. I'm looking at making a flexible version for my mini gardening kit ... :)

organicgardenerswife

This thread caught my eye - my husband planted his first garlic ever, in October.

He is actually trying his hand at raising it to sell, after he found out that it sells for over $5.00 a lb.

He put in over 2,000 bulbs - we will see what we harvest next year :) I should get him to read this forum - he would love all the info!

Cheers,
Ruth

soil
Greener Thumb

we planted 1500 this year. you should have a good harvest. I haven't paid for garlic in so long I have no clue how much it costs.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I planted my garlic a few weeks ago under several upside down fish aquariums I bought cheap at yard sales. I think the upside down fish aquariums will act like mini green houses all winter.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I would think if you get any sun, it would cook under there. Garlic is very cold hardy.

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

What I've always read is that when you grow hard necks, you want them to establish roots but grow little, if any, tops before winter sets in, and then they need to "hibernate" until spring. Not sure what happens if you try to grow these types in a greenhouse-like environment where they would be deprived of their winter nap???

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I would think if you get any sun, it would cook under there. Garlic is very cold hardy.
One year I left a fish aquarium upside down in the yard all winter. The grass grew tall and green like spring time grass. It was so strange to have tall green grass in 8" of snow that year I wish I had taken a picture of that. This made me wonder what garlic would do under a fish aquarium so this year I will find out.

bg
Cool Member

Well, I got my garlic at the end of the week from my last post and just now got some of the green shoots to come out of the ground ;3 So, mine is finally started lol.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I think its timing I always plant my garlic in the first 1st week or 2 in October. I know its different all over the country and from variety to variety. I also like to plant a variety that is ready to pull early. I like to plant my tomatoes and peppers the day after I pull my Garlic.[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/hunt-john/gardening/IMG_1570.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Nice garlic there dustyriver and welcome to the forum. :)

Eric

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”