Coolmama
Newly Registered

Jade tree branches drooped over in one day

I have had this jade for several years and it has grown and thrived wonderfully. I moved it outside for the summer as I have done for the past 3 years with no problems. In one day all the trunks had just drooped over almost to the ground. I brought it back in and propped the limbs up with skewers and twist-ties. The limbs and trunks are not mushey, and no sign of rot. Each of the limbs that were still horizontal put off some roots even though they were at least a foot from the soil. I took the skewers off this weekend (it has been 1.5 months) and the trunks are drooping slowly back down now. When we got home from church this afternoon a 3 inch chunk was laying on the table, healthy and firm.. not squishey or mushey, but like it had just snapped off. I am at a loss why it would do this and what to do about it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Creationsings

Can you post a picture of this Jade? I am wondering how top heavy it is? Maybe it needs some pruning. A picture would give me a lot better idea what you are dealing with.

CS

Coolmama
Newly Registered

[img]https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee129/onecoolmama/Kodakpix853.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee129/onecoolmama/Kodakpix852.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee129/onecoolmama/Kodakpix854.jpg[/img]
Thank you for your interest, hope these pix come thru, I'm new at this.
I had most of it propped up against the wall so its not as droopy in these pix as it usually is. I found another chunk on the table today, just like it snapped off. Hope this helps, thanks!

Creationsings

Yes the Jade is very elongated and top heavy, I would cut it back. You can cut it back to a point were it has no leaves just the stems and it will regrow brand new branches and leaves in a couple weeks.

Jades need very good bright sunlight to keep from elongating like that. They also need a very porous mix that drains fast and wont hold water. I cant see the stems very good but it doesnt look like they are rotted or anything to me.

Mary

Coolmama
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for the advice! I do so hate to cut it. How hard would it be to root the branches I cut? What would the best method be? I don't have a window with bright sunlight so I don't know that I can keep this from happening again, poor jade, I may be a bad parent. We have a greenhouse, but it stays very humid in there and I don't think she would like that at all. Any more advice would be welcome. Have a great day and thank you again.
Jn

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Jades often droop like that. I have seen jades with branches that actually hung down around the container to the point that it was almost hidden. You can prune it a bit, if you like, and more side branches will sprout on the stems that you cut back. Still, that won't make the main trunks any stronger, which just takes time. The leaves are thick and heavy, so will weigh down the thinner trunks. IMO, the nodal distances on your plant don't appear overly elongated, indicating a need for more light, but others may feel differently.

If you put your jade in brighter light, don't be concerned if the leaves turn a bit reddish. They're supposed to do that. And the cuttings root very easily. In fact, you can start a whole new plant from just a single leaf. :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”