gardenvt
Green Thumb

AL - VIN!!!!!!!!!

Alvin or relative has moved into the yard and I am not one bit happy though it is ever so friendly and acting as though we should be BFFs.

I have read somewhere here that they will eat just about anything from the garden. Does anyone have thoughts on how to control or get rid of this cute but unwelcome little creature?

Tilde
Green Thumb

Get a dog? Fence the garden (top, too)?

One poster here made cages for his gourds ...

I've got dogs on 3 of my 4 sides so I get all the yard critters ... plus neighborhood free range ducks. :\

Stella Blue

.22 usually does the trick. My neighors have finally got to know me and stopped asking questions.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Awe, the cats have already been stalking the little thing to no avail. A squirrel walked up to it and "Alvin" seemed to have had a a chat with the squirrel who decided to leave. It pops up in the weirdest places and looks at me like I'm its best friend!

If they make Hav-a Heart cages small enough, I would refer that method. Think I will check with my local garden center. Great idea!

I have to say, it really is cute.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

D-Con

gardenvt
Green Thumb

D-Con?

Is this poison that could kill my neighbors cats as well?

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I don't want my neighbors cats to be harmed!!!!!!!!! That would be my issue with poison besides the possibility that some critter could drag it into our garden and that would not be good.

I am picking up a hav-a-heart trap this afternoon - just the right size for Alvin/or relative.

I think after all of the lectures about what we don't want to put in our gardens for pesticides, the same might apply to the other "pests" we want to remove from our premises.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Garden pests like skunks, racoons, squirrels, rats, mice, chippies are in the same class as flies. Just SWAT! I see no need to live trap the nuisance and transport it somewhere else to bother someone else. Live trap it if you will, but please throw it in the pond and drown it.

Cats will not eat DCon. I like to put it in a small wooden box with a mouse sized hole. Then nothing will bother it except things small as a mouse. It keeps the mice out of my outbuildings and no cats have been killed or injured.

If we want to harvest the fruits of our labors, we need to deal with those critters that will ruin our harvests. Just a fact of life. You decide.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

d_Con:

The poison in d_Con poison baits is Warfarin. It is simply a blood thinner. If the rodent eats enough, it will bleed to death internally. Warfarin is used as a prescription medicine for people who need thinner blood for good health.

Aside from that, d-Con also has a number of non poison [url=https://www.d-conproducts.com/traps/nvnt.html]alternatives[/url] for mouse sized critters.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

We'll take Alvin or relative out to the woods where it belongs.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”