Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Does anyone grow pea nuts and boil them?

When I was in SC. last year I ate some fresh boiled peanuts and also ones in the the can. Both were very good I thought. I really liked them alot and brought 5 cans back to Pa.. The cans were from different companies and all had a slightly different taste!
+++ I woked for a lady the other day ptting carpet in and she said she was going to VA. I ask her to get me some canned peanuts. Today I finished her job and she got me 4 cans which I tasted tonight. I love them but I cannot buy them in Pa,. in the stores. Has anyone have experience with the boiled peanuts? They sell boiled peanuts all over the south along the highways just like the seell kettle corn here in Pa.!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I buy raw peanuts from the local market and boil my own. Being from SE Louisiana and liking boiled seafood, the seasoning used in the boil just begs to be used to boil peanuts.

This is how I do it. I'll half fill a large pot (20 qt.) with water, bring it to a boil, then add a very liberal amount of seafood boil seasoning. I'll use as much, or maybe just a bit more, than I'd use to boil crawfish, shrimp or crabs to the pot.

This stuff is very highly seasoned with salt and cayenne type peppers. When done right, a quick sip of the water will practically take your breath away when tasting it. I'll add the raw peanuts and over the course of the first half hour bringing the water back to a boil I"ll push the peanuts down since they tend to float for a while. Once the water replaces the air in the shell, they will settle in the pot somewhat, but continue to stir the pot as they cook every half hour or so to evenly cook them.

I'll cook them on a slow boil for about 4 hours before shutting off the fire and letting them soak for an hour or more. During the cooking time after the first couple hours you may want to take a few out to test to see if it meets your taste. Some recipes call for much longer cooking times but the longer you cook them, the softer the peanut gets. I find 4 hours cooking time and an hour or so of soaking time is what works for my taste. After they reach the desired texture, pour them into a collander and drain well.

My wife likes them a bit dryer than right out the pot so I'll take some of them and place them on a baking sheet and place them in the oven at 225 degrees for an hour or so to kind of roast them a bit.

They don't store well due to being damp and will mold in a few days if left out at room temperature. They last longer in the fridge, and they do freeze well for later use. Mine never last long enough to reach the freezer stage but a friend of mine takes his and puts them in quart Zip Lock freezer bags to store in his freezer.

Reason for this edit: When drying the peanuts in the oven for the wife, I'll leave the peanuts in the shell just like they came out the boil. Just wanted to clarify this.
Last edited by gumbo2176 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, guys!

I never heard of this before!

Gumbo, your recipe sounds delicious. I like trying new (to me) things, so this is definitely something that I'm going to have to try. Gumbo, how many peanuts do you use?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Wow, guys!

I never heard of this before!

Gumbo, your recipe sounds delicious. I like trying new (to me) things, so this is definitely something that I'm going to have to try. Gumbo, how many peanuts do you use?
I generally use about 5 lbs. of raw peanuts when I do this for the wife and I. If we have a gathering for a Sunday football game, I may make as much as 8-10 lbs. on Saturday to be sure to have enough for company. They do go pretty fast when combined with cold beer and a bit of food off the grill. What we don't eat in a couple of days goes in the fridge to be consumed within a week. I have never frozen them but they can be.

The worst I've ever had was a couple years ago when I was going to central La. to visit my father-in-law. There was a small general store along the route that advertised with roadside signs that they offered boiled peanuts in several different styles. I got the Cajun Style and they were boiled so long they had the texture of an overcooked green pea. I could mash them between my tongue and the roof of my mouth. I tossed them without eating more than a couple.

SOB
Green Thumb

garden5, as a fellow Ohioan you're not alone. Must not be "normal" around here.

I had not heard of this until my Filipino wife and her friends cooked some. She said they only boil theirs for 10-20 minutes, not 4+ hours?! Not sure why the time difference is so much but I know when they cook them the shells are not soft enough to crack and the nuts have no crunch to them. To me they are too mushy as I want the crunch with a peanut.

Also, my wife's uncle in PA married a Filipino and he always grown peanuts so they can boil them fresh...

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

SOB wrote:garden5, as a fellow Ohioan you're not alone. Must not be "normal" around here.

I had not heard of this until my Filipino wife and her friends cooked some. She said they only boil theirs for 10-20 minutes, not 4+ hours?! Not sure why the time difference is so much but I know when they cook them the shells are not soft enough to crack and the nuts have no crunch to them. To me they are too mushy as I want the crunch with a peanut.

Also, my wife's uncle in PA married a Filipino and he always grown peanuts so they can boil them fresh...
Boiling them for that length of time (4 hrs.) assures that the peanuts will take on the flavor of the brine you are cooking them in. I can't imagine a peanut having much taste of the boiling liquid after only 10-20 minutes. That is only time enough to get them hot.

But as with all else, different strokes for different folks.

SOB
Green Thumb

That makes sense. I guess the Filipinos don't boil them to take on any flavor of the brine but to just soften them up a bit.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The can of boiled peanuts boil theirs for 3 hours!
Here is a very interesting link of the canned peanuts I have. It is surprizing how healty they are for you. Hope this link I ok to put up!
+++

https://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/peanuts/boiled.html

Robert2872
Newly Registered

Bobber
Sorry to responding so late, but I just found your post. I was in west central fla and my uncle raised 7 acres of peanuts every year. I grew up eating boiled peanuts. I'm now 62 years old and living in NW Arkansas. about 10 years ago I decided to exparment with growing peanuts. They do very well here in zone 6b. my wife and I boil about 60 quarts every year and freeze them . Raw right out of the garden they boil fairly quick. If I boil them after drying I have found that they boil better and faster if I soak them over night before cooking. As for seasoning, our favorite recipe came from a good friend from Charleston SC. They called him Peanut John. I use a 5 gal pot and put 2 bags of zatteran's crab boil and a fairley large ham bone. Best tasting peanuts I've ever had. As far as cooking time, if I soak them first I only have to cook them about 2 hrs. Saves a little on the propane. hope this help. Robert

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I see alot of soy being grown here so I bet peanuts would grow well. I will plant a few rows next year. I can eat a whole can at a time. I think they serve soy nuts in some places in the south also! Thank!

Tilde
Green Thumb

Thinking about it after frost danger is past in January. :) One of my sisters says she had some deep fried so I'll try them most ways. :) Thanks for posting this, putting peanuts on my to grow list!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”