ghostrider
Cool Member

Morning Glory seeds

I went and took two seeds from a package that my aunt sent me, I soaked them for 24 hrs. and planted in a pot of potting soil and put a bag over them. I took the bag off yesterday and looked today and they are sprouting, in fact I can just barely see the first set of leaves! I have them sitting in the big picture window for now, our neighbor came over and put a storm window and it cuts down on the cold air. It gets plenty of sunshine, if anyone had any suggestions on how to keep it small and short and not let it get out of hand, let me know. :wink:

Franco

Well... Morning glories are vines. Then again, so are Wisteria and those can be trained into tree-form. If you cut the plant back it will make your plant bushier (because the apical bud contains a hormone suppressing lateral growth). Don't cut it back by more than 1/3 though. I think MG are tropical so I don't know how much floral success you'll have, although I hope you have a lot!

OoOoOrrrrr you could put it outside and let it grow all over your railing. Now wouldn't that be nice, and save the inside spot for a more-suited-for-indoor plant?? If you bring it outside make sure to temper it, that is, bring it out for a few hours later in the day when it isn't so hot, bring it back in, put it out again the next day, bring it back in, put it out for longer the next day, etc, until it can be released from captivity (lol).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Morning glory is an annual and not cold hardy. It wouldn't survive winter outdoors in Ohio. So you are just trying to grow it as an indoor plant? By next spring it will be about done, so you couldn't transplant it.

Apparently they do grow pretty well indoors (I haven't done it), if you can give them enough light - a sunny, but not too cold, window, and/or supplemental lighting.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS It is a vine, so nothing you can do is going to make it short and bushy. If you keep cutting it back to be short, it will never flower. It will work best if you can give it some kind of lattice to grow over, in front of a window.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Awesome, I started some indoors in Feb for an early summer wedding a few years back.

As the others said, by the time you can put them out doors they will be "done". And they like to climb. Oh, do they like to climb.

However.

I currently have a creeping climbing plant (one that roots anywhere a kink touches the ground) in a pot on my front walk (of course, this is Florida weather).

I basically ripped it from where it was being weedy and put it in this pot - and every time the plant "escapes" - grows out of the pot and onto the ground, I pick it up and wind it back onto the top of the pot. I'll probably put a cage or something over the pot for it to grow over/on.

Maybe you could do something like that with the morning glories - have a small square or round trellis in the pot and keep wrapping the tendrils around it.

Good luck!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”