keninmac
Newly Registered

A slowly dying plant

So my wife and I received this really neat jade plant something like a year ago. It was beautiful. My best guess is that over the past several months I've slowly drowned it out of an ignorance towards the needs of the jade plant. I have two questions:

-What do I need to do to save this plant?
-And that's about it.

Here's a pic: https://tumblr.com/ZePJrwApLD52

I would really like to train it if I manage to nurse it back to health. My cat recently knocked it out of the pot that I think was helping kill it, so that's helpful. If you look there in the front you'll see where the rotten remains of a huge branch of the plant used to be before rotting away. If you can, please tell me what I've done wrong, what I should do, and how your life is.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Water only when dry. The room is really dark, is that where it's kept? If so, how are you lighting it?

keninmac
Newly Registered

Na it's just night and I took the picture with my phone. It's in a room that gets a lot of good indirect sun and a few hours of right-on, in your face sun.

Right now I have it in succulent soil and it seems to be dry pretty often. About how often should it need water? Or do I just need to pay more attention?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Is it in a window? Or further? If it's not directly in front of the window, how far away is it? What direction does the window face? In an appropriate sized pot with a mildly moisture retentive mix, I seem to have to water jade bonsai every wee. In deeper pots, every two weeks to one month. But, a lot depends on amount of light, moisture levels in the room, etc.

keninmac
Newly Registered

It's sitting right in front of a west facing window. Not ideal, I know, but as close as I can get it to a good amount of sun. The plant is in a succulent mix (so not very water retentive) in a pot about four inches deep.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I would wait untill the soil JUST starts to pull away from the edge of the pot, and then water thoroughly. Likely you'll find that watering every two to four weeks, or even less, will suffice. Because they need so little water, they're great mame subjects. BUT, fertilizing can be a problem, so I use plant spikes, or something along those lines.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”