digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Retirement Life versus . . .

. . ...¿...¿...¿ I'm trying to take care of myself but whether I do or don't, what can I expect???

About the time I was born, a SSA retiree (age 65) could expect to live about another 13 years.

About the time I retired, a SSA retiree (age 65) could expect to live about another 15 years.

[url=https://www.ssa.gov/history/lifeexpect.html]SSA information on life expectancy for Social Security[/url]

Steve, male child who has grown old . . . er ;)

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I have a few coworkers and subordinates that are well past 65 that continue to work to some degree. Seems right after they turn 65, they have to cut their hours dramatically, but within a year or two they can add on a day or two. None of these are desk jobs. Two in their mid-80s were forced into retirement.

My clients are all geriatric, the oldest 100, youngest is early 60s. Many of them are plainly wealthy. Some had excellent post retirement insurance of some type. One of them is still a land tycoon. One is still on a big money board of directors. The changing focus of this community due to buyouts or other chicanery has meant some of my clients are now actually medicaid, medicare, or disability. I don't differentiate in my nursing care at all.

Some of the wealthiest are investigating other accommodations. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. One lovely couple sends cards every now and then, I think because the wife realizes the trade off she made was not to her benefit. She needed the social outlet and the housekeeping and meals more than the rare times she depended on my nursing skills. There were mitigating issues, and she calls him Dear, at least most of the time.

The ones who jumped through the hoops of disability or medicaid universally had persistent family. Most of the VA clients same thing. I have paid out of my pocket or driven to a doctors office on my day off, or dropped off hard copy prescriptions for C-II drugs or antibiotics because one of my patients was in desperate need and family was too busy to be bothered.

This is not an exaggeration. I waste a huge amount of time trying to reach family in emergencies, and then they want to debate the cost of having the scalp wound sutured or just letting it hang open, or hahahaha, they want me to guarantee insurance will cover the ambulance ride.

None, I repeat NONE, of my coworkers or subordinates expects to live this well when they are this age. As a nurse, I will not subject myself to the degradation of having my less than competent peers care for me. One of my former coworkers has "DNR" tattooed on her chest. I'm kinda liking the ice floe set adrift method myself at the moment, but it is hot now and we do still have some ice floes somewhere around the globe. Hypothermia is not such a bad way to go.

So, depending on how fit you feel, maybe you could go back to work part time and seriously investigate some communal living arrangement for seniors. I know Florida used to have communities with quads of separate homes united by one utility shed with shared tools and laundry, and sometimes a pool. Personally, I'd go with one of the more hippieish types with solar power and a locavore mentality. I do have arcane skills as well as basics in a lot of areas high and low tech.

See, living life in an area where I'd have to do some mountain climbing, eating wild edibles, windsurfing, or spelunking, hey and maybe some cliff diving (my fave), would decrease my life expectancy and enhance the enjoyability of what life I do have.

Take a class at your local college to challenge your mindset a bit. Doesn't have to be practical, but will get you thinking about what choices you could have.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm 64, I have no particular health problems, hike, recently did a Sierra club work project, hiking over mountains and doing physical labor at 7000' elevation, I work out regularly and do strength training with lots of weight. I "semi-retired" a couple years ago, down from 50 hour weeks to 25 hr weeks, to enjoy life and my garden more. I expect to work on this semi-retired basis for at least another 6 years.

It works well for me... I work enough to keep my hand in and keep busy and feel productive, but I have a lot less pressure and a lot more time for other things I like to do. I feel pretty confident that I can keep it up at least until age 70 (my work being sedentary, in an office).

As long as you stay healthy (eat well, get lots of exercise, don't smoke), these really are the golden years. More time and less responsibility than any time since you were young.

john gault
Green Thumb

Healthy body -- my technique: Cycling as a primary form of transportation, weightlifting, running and hiking the Appalachian Trail.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Right now, and for a number of years, I have gone for gardening as my primary form of exercise. In winter, I turn to a morning stretch program and snow shoveling . . :roll:

The gardening puts a few dollars in my pocket from the sale of extra produce and that doesn't hurt. It likely keeps me from wandering around with holes in my shoes and that sort of thing.

A diet that has been changed by all the gardening has probably been the most important thing that I've done to have a healthy lifestyle. That and not smoking these last 20-odd years.

I'm a little disappointed that we can look at all the decades of advancement in medical technology and wonder if stretching out a few months at the end of the day has had much value. From this older person's perspective . . . those few extra years from modern technology appears to be all that has been gained.

I was looking again at the research done on the Mediterranean Diet and appreciate the conclusion that it added about 1 year to the life of an average 60 year-old. This was not a diet "regimen" this was the normal diet of national populations.

The life expectancy on Crete (I believe it was), has actually declined in recent years as the people strayed further and further from their traditional diet.

How about that? A simple diet probably extends life as much as all the MRI & CT scans, pacemakers, and electric toothbrushes combined!

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I firmly believe that a simple diet (high on fruits and veggies, fiber, low on fat and sugar) and a lot of exercise does way more to extend life and especially to extend healthy life, than anything medical technology can do. Who wants to live a lot more years, if they are miserable years with chronic pain (well, still better than nothing I guess, but healthier would be better).

Check out:

Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge (Sep 25, 2007)

My doctor recommended it and it is life changing.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Thank You, RainbowGardener!

I see it is a popular book at the local libraries. All 4 copies are out! Maybe I should put a hold on it.

I have to take back "The Instinct Diet" soon. It is written by a PhD who trains psychiatrists at Tufts U. to help people with eating disorders. I don't think I have an eating disorder but I do the yo-yo thing with the 15 pounds I lose in the summer and put back on in the winter!

With mobility problems, I can't afford the extra weight and I think this book might be of some help. However, the "instincts" must be squelched and it really looks like I would be, essentially, making food my enemy . . . Gosh, that doesn't look like too much fun :( .

Still, I used to gain 15 pounds in the winter & lose 10 pounds in the summer. After 4 years of that and not worrying about it -- I had something to worry about. Last winter I gained 20 pounds!! I have now lost the 15 . . . Shoveling sand against the tide :roll: .

Steve

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:Thank You, RainbowGardener!...

I have to take back "The Instinct Diet" soon. It is written by a PhD who trains psychiatrists at Tufts U. to help people with eating disorders. I don't think I have an eating disorder but I do the yo-yo thing with the 15 pounds I lose in the summer and put back on in the winter!

With mobility problems, I can't afford the extra weight and I think this book might be of some help. However, the "instincts" must be squelched and it really looks like I would be, essentially, making food my enemy . . . Gosh, that doesn't look like too much fun :( .

Steve
Chronic pain here since 1984. Bicycle accident. Made worse in 1995. Car accident. Many years of chronic pain, worsened b/c our government looks askance at doctors who prescribe, long-term, *effective* pain management meds for people. The long-term, high-intensity pain gained me new ailments: fibromyalgia (when the body's pain "thermostat" goes haywire, among other things) and the loss of most of my hair, but in a weird pattern. Extreme pain/stress over years will do that to men and women.

Finally, in 2007, I found an orthopedist who took the knee pain seriously and replaced the left knee, the one destroyed in the 1995 car accident. I felt so much better, being able to walk again for exercise and use the recumbent bicycle machine at the physical therapy clinic, that some weight started to come off. It was encouraging, so I started to eat MORE.

MORE fruit. MORE fresh veggies (hey, I could garden again!). And then, MORE meals. I made little rules for myself: each meal had to start with one whole piece of fruit. (One strawberry didn't count! :lol: ) Then a small glass of water.

Then I could eat the regular meal until it started to become "work" to eat it. Then I would stop and put the rest of the meal into the fridge for lunch the next day, or maybe breakfast.

From July 2007 to August 2008 I dropped 50 lb. Ten of them have returned, but 40 of them are gone for good, I think. I've gotten lazy, and I had the second knee replaced in November 2010. There were two surgical complications, one of which could have done me in (clot), so I had to take it way too easy until about right now. Now I can ramp up my MORE campaign again.

I can spare another 50 pounds, oh God yes. That's how bad it had been for this former power lifter, distance bicyclist, and distance open-water swimmer not being able to exercise and trying to be reasonable with eating.

I just wish I'd thought of the MORE plan sooner. I suggest it freely to everyone, knowing that it may not work for others like it did for me. I went to the P.T. clinic maybe three or four times a week and did 15 to 20 minutes on the recumbent bike machine during those 13 to 14 months.

So...one whole piece of fruit and one small glass of water before each meal. Then eat what I normally wanted to, but stop when it became work. Exercise (and this was after the right knee went bone on bone) three to four times/week.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Cynthia, it is kind of funny how some folks will be all . . . :roll: . . . when the idea of 5 plus servings of fruit & veggies is suggested to them.

They may go so far as to say, "Why I just can't eat that much food!!"

Of course they can eat that much food - especially if they've passed that mid-life threshold of being able to eat when they aren't hungry :wink: . They are just convinced that they'd rather be eating lots of high-calorie processed food!

One of my most serious problems during the winter is my habit of continuous eating. I say that I'm a "light eater" in that I start from first light and eat all day! This isn't quite true. Usually, I start well before winter sunrise and continue eating into the winter nights . . ! I may completely lose track of actual meals.

I eat this way during the months of the growing season, also. It is just that I'm more often outdoors in the garden and the food at hand is different. This difference helps me drop weight every year. I'm trying for a 10% loss of body weight with the 20 pounds but I'm afraid that I'm running out of time!

I mean, losing 15 pounds last year may have only been accomplished because some respiratory problem got a hold of me in October. First time in quite a few years that I've been sick. The last 5 pounds melted off! But, I can't always be so fortunate as to be racked with some infectious misery or another.

Pain is a problem in my life, also. No longer able to take anti-inflammatories, I sometimes try to compensate by going for a 2nd helping of pie.

Steve

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Why not compensate by, oh, lying down with a cuddly dog or cat? Reading a gardening book? (These will help with the pain, too, I hope.)

Finding non-food rewarding activities is key. Or perhaps less-calorie-loaded food rewards! There's nothing like a really ripe pear with good, sharp cheese. Eat half of the pear first, then some cheese and the rest of the pear. :D So good! That was "fruit before meal" a few times in the MORE plan.

Fall/winter fruit--and I was ruthlessly pro-American. No imported fruit except for bananas and, in the spring, mangoes:

apples of as many varieties as I could get my hands on
pears, likewise
oranges
tangerines
tangelos
clementines
everything citrus except grapefruit (never learned to like 'em)
banana, as advertised
kiwi fruit, yes, U.S. grown

Almost all of the fruit was purchased at the produce market less than a block from my house. I priced all of it, and most pieces of fruit were approx. 15¢ each at his prices (I mean, navel oranges 3 lb/$1.00, half of one is a pear-sized piece of fruit! 16¢, there you go). 5-lb bags of clementines in November/December for $3.99 and $4.99. I counted them once, and they worked out very well in the "cost per piece of fruit" department. (I've been un- and under-employed for a while now; this was not a diet of luxury.)

Water was very cheap; I have excellent tap water and I put it through a Brita pitcher. No purchase of bottled water in this household; I think it ends up somewhere around $8.00/gallon or something if you do! :shock: I went for several weeks at a time without one of those large coffee drinks, simply because I didn't go to the office (no work and taking care of Vergil), where the coffee vendor is. But each of those double mochas has *got* to be a few calories....

I make my own breakfast granola, when I'm not making a smoothie out of 8 oz. milk + 2 bananas + 2 Tb. milk powder (non-fat, not Carnation burned-tasting type). I measured the granola, b/c I had discovered that I was actually eating not 3, not 4, but 6--yes SIX--portions' worth, together with yes more fruit and some vanilla yogurt....

Just measure and write down what you do eat as you graze your way through the day. There is no one "correct" way to eat; what is needed is an awareness of what's going from the hand to the mouth. That's where the list comes in. No one else--no wife, no husband, no lifelong love--needs to know about the list. You're just being honest with yourself because you want to KNOW where you stand with respect to food:

How much do I really eat per day? Is it more than I want to? Am I eating *any* fruits or vegetables? (This isn't a silly question for an American adult to ask him/herself.) What do I want to eat MORE of? (Important to ask this one!) And then eat MORE of it. Concentrate on eating MORE of what you WANT to eat; the stuff you really aren't interested in--the fodder, the filler--will eventually diminish. It won't disappear--ice cream still lives in my freezer--but it will satisfy you in smaller amounts.

I purchased a set of rice bowls at GoodWill. Really small rice bowls. They became my ice-cream and sherbet bowls. Then I found some even smaller ones, and they are now my ice-cream and sherbet bowls. :D

It's great! All because I focused on what I wanted to eat MORE of.

Give it a try. It took a lot of pressure off my mind, focusing on what I wanted to eat MORE of. Maybe for you it's MORE fresh vegetables, esp. if you had a successful garden this year. Maybe it's a specific kind of fruit, because you have a fruit tree in your yard, or your neighbor does, and the fruit is free. (Wow; what I wouldn't give...) But the positive focus made every difference in the world, and I think that's why 40 of those pounds are gone, probably for good.

Today was Thursday. Try it over the holiday weekend, just keeping a list and eating MORE of what you would really enjoy. Eat it slowly, so the enjoyment takes a little while. Just focus on the food and enjoy it.

Happy weekend!

Cynthia

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, yes... The other book you need to know about is by Dr. Joel Fuhrman Eat to Live.

It's all about the more. He basically says we should be eating a pound of raw vegetables and a pound of cooked (non-starchy) vegetables every day. (Plus non-starchy fruit, a little bit of whole grains and lean protein). He says the salad IS the meal, everything else you eat is a little side dish to the salad. It's a lot of food; it means never being hungry. If you are hungry, go EAT something (healthy).

It is not about food being the enemy, just all the non-food junk we are surrounded with. No sugar stuff, no fatty stuff.

I read his book and lost 40 pounds the following year, sticking to the plan.

He says, and I believe, you don't try to ease yourself into a radically different way of eating, you make a dramatic change all at once. I have done that several times, starting with becoming a vegetarian back in 1971. If you don't just quit eating meat, entirely, all at once, it becomes a constant struggle. If I eat some meat, some times, then in this meat oriented culture, I always have to decide if I am going to eat this meat, this time. So there's constant danger of back sliding and getting sucked right back into the old way. If you just make it part of your identity - I don't eat that, then there's no decision, no struggle. So I quit eating meat one day and never went back. I'm one of the few people I know that has been a vegetarian consistently, no off and on, for for forty years now.

So you do the same thing with the Eat to Live plan. This is who I am now. Period.

Unfortunately, the end of my Eat to Live story is that after living that way for about 1.5 yrs, I fell off that wagon and started eating the goodies everyone around me was eating and gained some of the weight back. Especially since during that time, I lost it all by eating well, but none by exercising which I wasn't doing at the time. So now I'm working on doing it again, but exercise has to be part of the plan.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I think a healthy life well into the 80s is very possible and even probable with a good diet and exercise. I'm pushing 60 and in the summer I swim 4 to 6 miles 3 to 4 times a week. We canoe for 2 hours, 3 to 4 days a week in the colder months. I walk an incline treadmill 18 miles a week. I have always lifted heavy in weight workouts and still do.

We grow our own food and eat very sensibly. Both of us have parents and numerous relatives that have lived well into their 90s which brings me to my point. I have never seen a relative [mom is 91 and still exercises, has always eaten well] reach the 90s and not started to unravel.

We added onto my mother in law's house and cared for her until she died in her bed. She actually knew it was coming. The Thursday before she died she went to the beauty parlor. She didn't get out of bed for a few days and was gone Sunday morning. She was 91.

The conditions in my mother's very expensive retirement facility are seemingly nice but knowing what I know of my father's death there and my mother's increasing frustration with the financial evolution of the place over the last 12 years, assisted living in an institution is the last thing I want.

I have a plan.Sometime in my mid 80s I want to be going merrily down the left lane of the interstate in my 30 year old town car with my left turn signal out. Then I want a bus to take me out. We all need a plan.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Unfortunately, most ways of calling the shots for your final goodbye involve unpleasantness for others.

I don't know anyone over the age of maybe 95 who is really still pretty sharp. I'm sure they are out there and resistant to going to long term care facilities.

I find some of my Alzheimer's patients delightful, but their families are not so happy at seeing Granny fingerpainting with applesauce.

Had this old woman some years ago. Taught music at an historic college, played organ for an historic chapel. I wound up taking care of her because she'd fallen in her yard and was so irascible and independent that no one checked on her for several days. In the cold and rain. Some of the people in the know of her historical relevance to the community were trying their damndest to keep her safe and healthy and fed, and she was trying her damndest to fight for her freedom. She'd let me hear her play the communal piano once in a while, but mostly she'd insist that as long as she was treated as a slave, she would avail us of none of her professional expertise. She believed my mamma had cleaned house for her when she was a professor and I was a little girl. Absolutely not, of course.

She eventually won the right to go back to living like a hermit in her rundown but historic home, showing up at chapel when she felt like it, and calling the mayor and the college president to harangue them at will.

So what if she wasn't 100% with it? So what if her house needed repairs but she met repairman with the pointy end of a rake? She'd be well over 100 now, but I've searched for her obituary without a hit. I think she'd like the idea of dying alone in her home of so many years, sheet music all around her, teakettle whistling. It's not an ice floe, but at least anyone daring to enter her abode would know she was past caring. And it was a good thing.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I'm glad I posted something about "expectations" :) . This has all been very enlightening and, I suspect, useful!

Probably, it is best to expect the unexpected. Over the last couple of decades, the unexpected has certainly been my experience - right up until this moment!

Thank You, Everyone! And, if anyone else would like to make some observations or suggestions or expand on a comment, please do so.

Steve

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I've been a caregiver to seniors for several years.
I've noted that the oldest lived clients all had the same things in common: They were all meat and potatoes people, they had either never smoked or had quit many years ago, and all brushed and flossed regularly.
Just thought it was an interesting observation.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I always hear happy people are more health. Could it also be health people are happier as being not health can make you miserable?

I do feel attaude effects health, I feel a good laugh makes me feel better.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

tomf..............I really believe HAPPY people do live longer, plus people with things to look forward to.

I told my husband I wanted to die at the auction ( livestock) with the last bid, LOL!!! His comment was, Oh great, leave me to pay the bill!!! Ha.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

GM; do you have a ranch?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Did, and want to again, although, even living in town doesn't seem too much difference to what comes home at times. :oops: I'm not good at sitting on my hands at auctions!!!! :roll:

dirtyfingers
Cool Member

Haven't been around lately but just happened to see this topic.

I retired about four years ago at age 58 and just started collecting Social Security bennies this year. What bums me out is that my financial guru said that I could have actually retired at age 55! Oh well, but I highly recommend it! :D

lily51
Greener Thumb

I retired in 2009 at the age of 58. It took me 5 minutes to adjust!
One thing that is important is having interests, things to do and people to see. I have to say I love my life. Such a different pace!
Once a month the retirees from my school get together for breakfast...you've never seen so many smiling faces.

One thing I have observed is that we come with a 50 year warranty. Seems health issues pop up around that age, often from things we did or didn't do in the first 5 decades. Hopefully,it takes just a minor repair or re-adjustment. Unfortunately, some of my friends have encountered some very serous ordeals. Most have met the challenge and are still here.

Thanks to all for your tips for healthy lifestyle :)

Runningtrails

People I meet think we are odd. hubby and I both just work part time at little jobs that we enjoy. We have never subscribed to the "work hard all your life so you can spend the last quarter of it doing nothing." We are semi retired now, and have been for a decade, although both are in mid 50's now and it's not because we have money. We don't have any money at all.

We deicded to go that route years ago and downsized our life to do so. Success in life is not measured by the amount of material possessions and financial worth one can accumulate before one dies. We don't need all that junk if we have to go work at a job every day to achieve it.

Who needs to work all day, every day? I'm sure you can look at things you are paying for now that you could live without, if it meant you didn't have to work much. You'd be surprised how much "stuff" you can live without or make/grow/recycle yourself.

Now, whenever we think of something we might pay for, we determine if we really want it enough to actually go to work to pay for it. We own very little. lol!

-But our time is our own, we spend our spare time doing whatever interests us, and that's a lot. We have many home businesses that started out of being involved in our "interests". We keep them small and interesting and say no when we want to, so we call ourselves "semi retired" and will probably live like this until we are very old, The Lord willing...

If I had to get up every day and go work at a stressful job somewhere just to live, I think at this point, I'd probably rather not...

You may drive a Jag, but I own my car :-) when we are driving at all. I walk to work whenever possible and refuse to work anywhere that I can't walk to.

Dolly Freed is my hero! (A little extreme, but a 'must read' for anyone wanting to be more self sufficient!)

You would be surprised how many people get mad about this when I tell them why I don't work. After they talk to me for awhile, they usually become resentful and frustrated with their own lives, usually because we are so happy and satisfied with our life together and most people are not. We are not searching for anything. We have found it.

Retirement? When is that?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Runningtrails wrote: . . . You may drive a Jag . . .
I may drive a Jag? No, I drive a Dodge pickup and once in awhile a Toyota. The Dodge has more years than the first vehicle I ever owned, back in the '60's. (Of course, cars get a few more miles than they did then :wink: .)

Actually, I know a couple people who own Jags. The 1st is your typical retired rich guy. He has a house that must be well over 3,000 square feet with several thousand feet of river frontage. His garage is easily big enuf to hold that car and 4 others.

Really, I've only met the second guy with the Jag. He is (or was) the boyfriend of someone I've known for many years. Her mother is a dear friend of my wife's.

We've been seeing the young lady a lot the last week. She just had a baby - 2 months early! The baby is still in the hospital. Grandmother has to be away taking care of some other grandchildren so her daughter is recovering at home, essentially alone. We have provided a meal each day thru this week. C-sections take some time to recover from . . .

The boyfriend with the Jag? He did show up from California but only just in time for the birth. I think he will drive off to the south in just a little while. He wasn't around for the last 2 months of pregnancy, anyway.

No job for him here but I kind of doubt if there's much for him in California either. The Jag isn't new but he'd better get the h**l rid of it!

You and I, friends, are paying for that baby's hospital stay.

Steve
sorry, I need to edit this: the 1st car I owned was made in the '50's. I owned it in the '60's.
Last edited by digitS' on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm semi-retired too! And I love it. I took early social security at 62 and cut my work hours down from 60 a week as a manager over five offices, to a half time service provider. Cut my income to less than half as well. It means I may never be able to totally retire, but I love my life the way it is.

It's how I have time to do all the things I write about here (as well as spend time on my computer!).

Runningtrails

I used "Jag" as an example. I only know one person who has an actual Jag.

Rainbowgardener, we are planning on taking early the Cdn equivalent of social security too and soon. We will have to work at little part time jobs most of our lives, but we love it too! Unless one of our home businesses really takes off, then we'll do that. or win the lottery... :lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Most people who think they're drivin' around in a Jag are actually in a Ford. But Ford is great at marketing. :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:Most people who think they're drivin' around in a Jag are actually in a Ford. But Ford is great at marketing. :D
So that's why every time I drive by reflective windows my Jag looks like a 1995 F150. :P

Eric

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well hubby and I are trying to figure out what to do once we EVER sell here.
It was supposed to be a heated storage building for vehicles ( was for about 7 months) but this year we want out of here! We can't stand living in town, plus we are still too far away from my husband's job. Gas is too darn expensive.
I want to rent a cheap place that will let us have some chickens, a good garden, a workshop for my husband and not to close to neighbours!!!!

We are looking to get life back on a MUCH simplier track. Growing most of our own food again, eating GOOD eggs, raising some good meat birds for the freezer and taking life much easier.

This past year has been extremely stressful trying to sell in a depressed market, still haven't sold, but sure have had to drop the price a LOT.

A lot of things we THOUGHT we were going to do aren't probably going to happen. Our daughter and her youngest son moved back to Armstrong B.C. about 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, she didn't save for the move, as any other move was with us and we always paid. Her oldest boy is living with us now, but is working, which helps. But I must say, and this sounds awful, BUT I'm really glad she did go, and has her hand out of our pocket finally!!!!

Although she still has to pay us back quite a lot for the move. As she had not saved for it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my kids, but we didn't help her grow up by trying to help her and the boys. The help cost us a huge amount of money over the last 16 1/2 yrs. But we have now learned, that the ones that matter the most, at our age 62 and 63 are US. So we will be living the way we want finally on very little, as I just don't have the urge to buy anything un-necessary anymore.

If it something that is a definate must have, as in repairs etc. then we will search for the best prices going. Auctions, garage sales etc. for some other things that might become needed.

When we get sold here, our realitor has found us a place that we can possibly caretake. The rent would be very little. Which would give us a chance to save as much as we can. Plus IF my husband wants to he can work a couple of days a week, after he's 65. So we have still got a lot of decisions to make, but at least by listening to all of you on here, it really helps to get ideas. Real good ideas!!! Thanks everybody. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are seriously interested in being caretakers, it might be worth it for you to check out The Caretakers Gazette https://www.caretaker.org/

You have to subscribe to it for $30 a year. It is basically classified ads of caretaker positions. From their description of themselves:

"You can enjoy rent-free living as a property caretaker in desirable locations. Positions on estates, mansions, farms, ranches, resort homes, retreat centers, camps, hunting and fishing lodges, vacation homes, private islands, and any other kind of property imaginable are listed in The GAZETTE."

On their websites you can see samples (with all the contact info removed from the listings) of issues from previous years to get a feel for what kind of positions are listed. There are positions from every state in the US and a lot of places around the world. Some of them are watching over some remote wilderness property miles from anything. Some of them are managing someone's third home (mansion) in some resort location (some of that kind of thing you need training for). It was my thing to dream on for a number of years.

I was a caretaker for nine years, for my church. The church (Quaker Meeting) is in an old mansion on 5 acres in the city. My s.o. and I lived in generous sized two bedroom apt. on the second floor there rent free, all utilities paid, paid only our private phone line, in return for doing a lot of the routine work around the place. I loved it!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You may want to talk with those realtors who manage rentals, Green Mantis. I'd guess that some folks needing caretakers would likely turn to them.

Have we talked about it before? You seem to be wanting to return to a place in BC where I had intended to move to as a young man. I'm kind of glad I didn't get there. Couldn't happily take any colder weather than here but, especially, wouldn't enjoy any greater winter darkness. Your present home would be completely beyond the pale!!!

Here's an article that talks about seniors moving back into the cities from the 'burbs.

https://nyti.ms/s0tlO9

I may be seeing that here. There are vacancies most everywhere so it is hard to know. Rural vacancies are risky for home-owners.

Steve

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

digitS", and Rainbowgardner...............Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions.
Talked to the realitor this afternoon and asked him about a smallish older home, pretty much in town, but on the less built up area, if that makes any sense?? Bigger lots, not quite such a close house density. He has the place listed and apparently the woman is always up for trades, as long as she gets the better of the deal.

In this case it would be even, I would say. She doesn't feel her place will sell at that price for a couple of years, pretty much the same here, only it would sell for more.

So might see about a trade? But not taking some ridiculous trade either, just can't afford to do it.

We thought if we rented that place out and lived in that other place caretaking, we might come out ahead a bit. We hope!!!!

When we first moved out here we bought in a hurry, big mistake. It really was too far out, and we lost big time on that because of it, so digitS", that article really summed that place up. Nobody wants these places, they are just too far from towns.

The place we may be able to caretake ( basically checking buildings, keeping people out of buildings, and off the property) is only less than 2 miles to town. So the commute to work for my husband would be great.

Plus it's fairly private, and I could grow a big garden and raise chickens etc. SO we are REALLY hoping it works out.

But selling real estate has become a real challenge, so guess we have to get inventive, and try trades, and hope the right one works out.

Yes digitS" it was me you were talking to on this site. We dearly would like to move back to the Interiour, but prices are too high right now.

They are out here too, but people don't seem to want to come down? We have noticed though that a lot of these sellers are elderly grain farmers, that bought up lots of land, some with houses on it, subdivided them off and now have them up for sale at inflated prices. Seems to be, if they get their price fine, if not it just sits there for sale. There seems to be a lot of people out here like that, which makes it hard, for people like us.

But we have to keep perservering, as this place is driving us crazy!!!!!! It is SO not us at all. What ever went through our minds when we bought it I have NO idea, but I think we must have had heat stroke, in the cold spring???? YIKES!!!!!

Hopefully others have ideas on what steps you would take if you were us??? WHY is it so easy to see others mistakes, and not your own???

I want to see mine, not someone else's. Ah the Joys of trying to sell, NOT!!!!

Arkansas

thanrose wrote: My clients are all geriatric, the oldest 100, youngest is early 60s. I have paid out of my pocket or driven to a doctors office on my day off, or dropped off hard copy prescriptions for C-II drugs or antibiotics because one of my patients was in desperate need and family was too busy to be bothered.

As a nurse, I will not subject myself to the degradation of having my less than competent peers care for me. I'm kinda liking the ice floe set adrift method myself at the moment, but it is hot now and we do still have some ice floes somewhere around the globe. Hypothermia is not such a bad way to go.

See, living life in an area where I'd have to do some mountain climbing, eating wild edibles, windsurfing, or spelunking, hey and maybe some cliff diving (my fave), would decrease my life expectancy and enhance the enjoyability of what life I do have.
My hat's off to you for your kindness. My heroes have always been those who were kind to the overlooked.

I never balked at receiving care from less than competent staff. It's the mean ones, the ones that don't want to be bothered that break my heart. And sad to say, they are the majority, but that's just life.

I'm 55 and recently cut back from 2 jobs to one and feel semi-retired. Life is good!

You could do worse than Arkansas for cliff diving, spelunking and mountain climbing. This state boast the highest mountain between the Appalachians and the Rockies. Plus cost of living and home prices are lower than most. Let me know if I can ever help!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, since this thread came up again . . . I'll just post a thought that occurred to me today:

Do you suppose that there are 2 Ages to Life?

The Lithic Age, as in lithe and lithesome, and,

the Lithic Age, as in stone

? :? ?

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Since the topic of retirement came up again - I thought of this thread!

I saw so much good advice in it, it was really good for me to read over it again.

Updates! Last summer I only lost 7 pounds!!!! I knew that I wasn't working hard enuf! Anyway, it is now winter and I've put it back on :oops: .

Second update: (And it isn't an updated SSA chart linked on the 1st post!) I came across some new info from the SSA. It doesn't have to do with specifically male or female . . . together, we, boys & girls, might be living a little longer now than that dated chart shows.

Unisex life expectancy at age 65 in 1980 was 16.3 years. The 2012 Trustees Report indicates that the estimated unisex life expectancy at age 65 for 2010 was 18.7 years. (pdf link)

Of course, those 2.4 years over the last 30 years of the nation's history are what gives some folks fits - but, that's another story.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For SSA purposes unisex, everyone lumped together makes sense. For the rest of us, sorting the data out is revealing:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2011/022.pdf

1900 - 2009 is 109 years of data!

Over that period, everyone lumped together has gained 31 years of life expectancy at birth, 6 yrs of remaining life expectancy at age 65 and 2 yrs of remaining life expectancy at 75. So unlike what I would have expected from what we hear about centenarians, most of the change is likely in infant and child mortality, especially comparing to 1900.

But the equivalent figures for women is 32, 5, 1.5 and for men is 30, 5 and 2.

So looking at life expectancy from birth, men have actually fallen farther behind, but again more of that difference is at earlier ages. As well as infant and child mortality, it may reflect excess deaths by accident and violence compared to women.

Interestingly, African-Americans continue to have lower life expectancies than white, though they have gained considerably in life expectancy at birth. But the longest life expectancies currently (they apparently didn't have early data) are among the Hispanic population.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, I never thought to look to the CDC for that information, Rainbow.

Thank you.

"Causes" seems to be more of what the CDC would be about but determining the "prematurity" of the occurrence - they'd need a base-point or, whatever that might be called.

Steve

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”