Hammer_Ga

Asparagus wanted

I would like to have some asparagus crowns to start a bed. I have looked online and can not afford what they want to get a bed started. I wondered if anyone can get me started for less or better yet some kind of trade.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It is possible to start an asparagus bed from seed. You will not get a harvest until the third growing season. Asparagus crowns offered on the market are usually one or two years old. When I buy them I like the two year old crowns. The growers have started with seed. The little frail ferns need to be carefully weeded and cared for. Two years later they dig them up and sell them. Its no wonder they want a high price for them. The two year old crowns do not give a harvest the year of planting, but will give a harvest the following year. The beautiful thing is that once you have an established bed, it will last for many years. If you plan to stay on your plot long term, it is worth it to start from seed.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Walmart has them fairly cheap. I bought two bags each with 4 (2 year old) crowns for like $3 or $4 a bag. They did well, of course like Jal said, you don't get a harvest the first year. Asparagus was one of those lessons in patience I had to learn. But it'll be worth it this year when I'm enjoying the fresh spears! I plan on getting a few more bags this year. You really cant have enough of it. My suggestion would be to get as many as you can to start with. I understand about tight budgets! Just do what you can. When you factor in what you'd have to pay someone to ship the things it would probably even out with just getting some more inexpensive one from a big box store. Best of luck! Follow the directions exactly as they are illustrated on the package and they should do well for you.

Hammer_Ga

Thanks for the info on Walmart. I will have to check with them. I live in a small town and hope they carry them.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Sure thing! they arrive at walmart in early spring with all of their seed potatoes and blueberry bushes and stuff. Watch for them around March.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I have Jersey Knight, but next spring will be ordering 25 Jersey Giant crowns. These hybrids are mostly male plants. Higher production.

Eric

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Yeah walmart in ca has them now.
I ordered some purple asparagus seeds this year and picked up some crowns also I have some out in the yard but didn't write there name down opps.

Return to “Seed Exchange - Share & Trade Seeds”