lucenda
Cool Member

How to move Bonsai?

I am moving to another state; I'll stay within the same zone. I'll take my bonsai with me in my car, a 6 to 7 hour drive. I am thinking to put them into boxes. All my bonsai (Pines; Juniper; Zelkova; Chinese Elm; Cotoneaster and Fukien Tea) are outdoors; except my Ginkgo. Any tips about moving are highly appreciated!

Of topic: I have a Desert Rose. Is this a bonsai or a houseplant?

Thank you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

whether something is a bonsai or a houseplant doesn't depend on what kind of plant/ tree it is, it depends on how it is maintained/ trained/ cared for etc. For example you mention a ginkgo bonsai. Where I am, ginkgos are common street trees at least 20 feet tall. Your ginkgo bonsai could still probably become that if you put it in the ground and stop pruning it.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Gingko will not do well, indoors, long term. On the Adenium obesum, it's a matter of perspective. Will it be possible to style it in traditional bonsai styles? No, but that does not mean you can not enjoy it as a miniaturized styled tree in pot, which is what bonsai are.

lucenda
Cool Member

So sorry! My Maidenhair tree is outside and doing well. I was confused with my Ginseng Ficus. it is on a table for 3 years now; near the window. I hope they'll survive the move.

TomM
Greener Thumb

A 6 or 7 hour drive should not be a problem if properly packed and handled. When national bonsai shows and exhibitions are held the tree are brought in from all over the entire country, unpacked and put on display for a few days, then packed up and shipped home again.

You say that you are not moving to a different 'zone'. So I don't see an issue here. People (with bonsai) move all the time. Just be careful. Treat your trees with the respect and care they deserve. They should be fine.

lucenda
Cool Member

Thank you, Tom!! That's a relief; I really like my little trees!! Thanks; again!!

Poink88
Newly Registered

This maybe late but 6 hours travel for a tree is nothing.

You do have to make sure they are secure and not tumble around if you have to do a sudden stop or turn.

They also need to be protected from wind otherwise be prepared to see all the leaves and some branches damaged. In a car with closed windows, this is a non-issue but on a pick-up bed or open trailer, could be very devastating for the trees. Trash bags work but can generate too much flapping and could still damage the delicate parts of the trees.

To address both, use sealed boxes with a few very tiny holes. You can actually wire the entire pot to the bottom of the box. This will be the perfect way IMHO.

Also water them a day before the trip to let water drain properly before the trip.

Good luck!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”