Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

JUST FOR FUN----HOW MANY HOUSEPLANTS DO YOU HAVE?????

Just for fun, I thought I would ask how many houseplants everybody has??? I have 29. It's an addiction!!! Lol!! :roll:

applestar
Mod

Define "houseplants" :wink:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have at least 2 dozen, not counting the starts I have that are busily growing roots. If I were to count those, the number would go up to around 36 to 40. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:lol: Anything that doesn't normally get planted outside. Veggies etc. I forgot, I have a jam jar full of pothos cuttings too! :oops: So more than 29 and I'm sure not finished yet! Lol. :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Two. One pothos and one monstera. Used to have a corn plant but gave it away; it just got too big for the dining room--or anywhere else in my house. I gave it to an elementary schoolteacher. I'm sure it's happily growing in her room or somewhere in her school. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

ButterflyGarden

I have two types of chives and rosemary as well as a lovely vine that live in the kitchen, a plant in the living room and one outside my front door in the hallway of my apartment building to greet my guests. :) I guess that makes 6 however we are expecting some house plant house guests soon since my best friend is going to America for 2 months.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Right now 7 large containers full (several plants in each container), but that's because a number of things have gone out for the summer, in winter there's more as things like coleus and angel trumpet and others come back in.

That includes two good sized trees-- a ficus that is now taller than I am and one of those corn plants like cynthia was talking about. I cut a couple feet off the top of it last fall when it was time to bring it in so that it would fit under the ceiling.

And I always say I'm not a house plant person. I don't think I've ever bought a house plant, these just come to be somehow... Gift baskets of cute little baby plants that end up monsters later...

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:
And I always say I'm not a house plant person. I don't think I've ever bought a house plant, these just come to be somehow... Gift baskets of cute little baby plants that end up monsters later...
Agreed; mine were all "rescues," even the corn plant! A former supervisor from a job I had in the '90s called it "Godzilla" and got tired of taking care of it, so I "got to" (woopee! :roll:) take it home. RHIP, I guess. Don't remember how the Monstera got here, but the Pothos was a "gift" because I had kept the office Dracaenae from dying and "obviously" had a green thumb.... Pothos came home with me when a new office manager decided the technical data reports didn't need editing anymore....

BTW, way back in Atlanta I had a philodendron. You know, the "unkillable" plant? Think again. I'm not sure what happened, but it died. Dead. I killed it somehow....

Cynthia

shadowsmom

I'm too embarassed to admit how many I have scattered around the house, my office, etc. :oops:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

None, no house plants. But I do have a few tender bonsai that do come indoors in October.

ozark_rocks

OK I have 29 actual house plants, but thats not counting the peppers, herbs, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes, I bring in every year. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

shadowsmom, You have to fess up to numbers of plants, LOL!!! :lol:

shadowsmom

Green Mantis wrote:shadowsmom, You have to fess up to numbers of plants, LOL!!! :lol:
I counted this weekend. Head hung in shame, I have 32 plants in the living room (orchids and traditional houseplants), 16 (African violets and Christmas cactus) in DS's room since he's never home, I have inherited DD's 15 cacti/succulents located in her room, 3 assorted in my bathroom, 3 in another bathroom, 2 ferns in dining room and 2 palms in the sun-room.

The total is 58 permanent plants. I'm not counting the hibiscus starts in the sun-room. BTW that's Lorax's fault! :lol: Since I started doing it the way she said I've been successful and I've been swiping hibiscus cuttings from everyone I know. Everyone who comes over leaves with at least one, maybe two if I can convince them.

Ready for the denial part? I didn't go looking to buy all of them - many of the orchids were gifts. A lot of friends have moved and dropped off their plants rather than move them across the country. I'm just providing permanent foster care.

applestar
Mod

Frost free AND over 50°F nights are HERE! And I have less number of houseplants by the day as they are moving out for their annual holiday/vacation outside in the garden. :D

Downside is now that I have access to the windows, I have to clean them.... :lol:

shadowsmom

I love when I get to move most of them outside! I put some out last weekend. They certainly are well cleaned from all this rain.

I plan on painting the living room once both the plants and and excess furniture that returned home from college are removed.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Shadowdmom, Sounds like you must have a very interesting collection of plants, to have 58. But after going to garden centres and seeing something you just "HAVE" to come home with, I definately understand!!! :lol: I can't put houseplants out here, it's just too cold still, also when it's actually nice, the wind blows and it would kill them! :(

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:oops: Well added 3 more plants to the collection as well as the pothos cuttings that are rooting away nicely. 32 and counting! Yikes! :oops: Wouldn't change it for anything though. Love them ALL. :D

lorax
Greener Thumb

shadowsmom wrote:I'm not counting the hibiscus starts in the sun-room. BTW that's Lorax's fault! :lol: Since I started doing it the way she said I've been successful and I've been swiping hibiscus cuttings from everyone I know. Everyone who comes over leaves with at least one, maybe two if I can convince them.
You can't blame me for that!!! :() All I did was provide much-needed information. What you did with it is your own problem....

I have one house plant - a 'Maqueño' banana (surprise surprise).

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:roll: Only ONE houseplant??? How did you manage that?

applestar
Mod

All her "tropicals" grow wild outside! Lorax and her orchid weeds. :lol:
:>

shadowsmom

You can't blame me for that!!! All I did was provide much-needed information. What you did with it is your own problem....
I thank you for the propagation tip! I've been highly successful. I gave away 6 more this past weekend, so I am thinning the herd. :lol:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:roll: Went to the garden centers today ( well 2 of them) Ended up with 4 more plants, plus 2 I bought for gifts. So I now have 38 plants and a jam jar full of pothos cuttings. I got 2 in the mail through e-bay, so that brought me up to 38. Also waiting for christmas cactus cuttings in the mail. Hope they get here alive, as we are having a postal strike! Yikes!!! :( I think there are 8 cuttings of those. Guess I will see if they get here. This has become a really fun, addictive Hobby!!! :oops: :D :D

Jenny.lee
Newly Registered

Lets see. I have
1 Hibiscus Tree
2 Marble Queens - Pothos
1 huge Aloe plant - rescue
1 Orchid
1 huge Peace Lilly
1 Dwarf Umbrella Tree
1 3 Leafed Clover - Bought for myself for St. Patricks Day :P
4 seedling trees, not sure if they are all apple, or some are others, can't remember :P

So I am just a beginner but I would love to get more.
So wow... 12 plants in an apartment :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:wink: Guess what, You have only just begun. LOl!!!! It really is addictive! :roll: Fun though isn't it? Sounds like you have a real assortment going there.

You will find, that you will start looking for smaller plants to fit, then "where' can I put this one?? Start moving things around, to put more plants, never ending!! :oops: You're hooked now! :lol: Good Luck though, because it's so relaxing too! :)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

17 including myself.

lorax
Greener Thumb

GM, you'll get an even bigger kick out of this. The banana went outside, and now I have exactly ZERO houseplants, unless you count the little cups of basil that I'm starting in my kitchen window.... :-()

And Apple is right - I live in the tropics, and it seems like cruel and unusual punishment to keep the plants that grow outdoors in the house.

nk

1 scented geranium, 2 coleus (kiwi fern and pink chaos (not including cuttings)), 2 ponytail palms, 1 agave, 1 cactus (not sure of name), 1 begonia... mind you, they aren't house plants as much as half-room plants. so I have 8 but if I had a whole house I'm sure there would be plenty more.

garudamon11

6 Overall (counting pots not plants)

3 Herbs (dill parsely chives)
1 China Aster
1 Hellfrucht dwarf tomato
1 Peace Lily

Fig3825

1 Dwarf Meyer Lemon (30")
3 Japanese Maple (18")
3 Crepe Myrtles will be in soon once I cut the air layers off the tree.

Wife has some plant in the window that she was given after she got hit by a car...

In the process of rebuilding my 'green room', heat, light, plant shelf. 400w MH in there. :)

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Kinda like Lorax, I only have very temporary need for plants in the house. Even stuff in pots is on the porch or under trees. When it gets very cold, they get to press their little plant noses up against the French doors wishing I would let them in.

What I do have indoors are vases of various greenery for that little bit of air cleaning property. One in my bedroom, two in the bathroom. I watch the mosquito larvae grow to a certain size, then dump them outside and refill with another third of new material. These are so prolific I do not care about rooting, just the esthetics of the arrangement.

As a child, I had an etagere in front of a western window with somewhere around 100 plants. Wasn't going for a goal, just growing lots of things with the intent of building more terraria for friends.

Hint: Do not try to root and keep every spider plant baby you've ever seen.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ask me in another couple weeks when all the overwintering stuff has to come back in. In the summer, I had zero houseplants, all the tropical houseplants were out in the screened-in porch. Currently, I have seven large pots full (two of which are full-sized, ceiling scraping trees - great fun to lug in and out!) . In another couple weeks, I will have well more than double that once I bring in coleus, geraniums, angel trumpet (another tree!), some basil and pepper, and whatever else needs to come in for the winter.

nk

nk wrote:1 scented geranium, 2 coleus (kiwi fern and pink chaos (not including cuttings)), 2 ponytail palms, 1 agave, 1 cactus (not sure of name), 1 begonia... mind you, they aren't house plants as much as half-room plants. so I have 8 but if I had a whole house I'm sure there would be plenty more.
It's been a long week... I have 10 now.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:D Addictive isn't it! Lol!!!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:D Still loving all my plants, have lost a few though. That seems to happen to all of us at one time or another, unfortunately.

Lorax, I have to say that having plants like yours would be awesome!!! To cold here, as you know.

I have decided to slowly go in a bit different direction with the plants, some I really like and wouldn't want to be without. Others will slowly replaced with things like
Aloe vera
Spider plant
more in-door herbs
Some more Bay leaf plants, (if I can find them) I have 1 baby now.

I guess more bigger display plants, instead of lots of little ones.
Plus more plants, that can be used in cooking, throughout the year.

Funny how your tastes change in plants, I still have an awful lot of plants, but can honestly say I have been behaving myself when I go near the plant sections, :roll: Mind you don't know how long that will last??? But just sort of going in a different direction.

Just curious to know if anyone else has done this over the years????

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My new direction is that I have houseplants and gradually more and more. I always used to say "I'm not a houseplant person" and I have never actually bought a traditional houseplant. But years ago I had a couple of surgeries. Each time my church (knowing I love growing things) instead of sending flowers as get well wishes, sent a basket of growing plants. That was like 25 and 15 years ago and I still have most of them. One of the baskets included a baby corn plant maybe 4 inches tall. Last year I cut it back, because it was pushing against the ceiling and it is already almost touching the ceiling again - and has gone from one stem to three over the years.

So houseplants have adopted me and I've gotten more in to trying to over-winter things instead of just letting them die in the cold.

nk

12 and 3 plants I'm trying to root

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Did a count today, and I am still at 33 plants after losing some!! :shock:

rainbowgardener.........I like your idea of growing the things that came in your floral baskets.

That corn plant must be a record!!! Lol! Never heard of one of that height INSIDE!!!! Congrats! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks... the corn plant has never been really outdoors in its life. It moves from the dining room in cold weather, to the (quite shady) screened in porch in warm weather (a distance of just a few feet). I may eventually give up moving it entirely since it has gotten so huge...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”