stella1751
Greener Thumb

Need Creative Plant Cover Ideas

This spring, I threw together a bed as quickly as I could for my Habaneros. The two primary qualifications in a bed around here are that I remove the 6" - 8" layer of river rocks to get to the soil below and that I construct a raised bed frame around it so the dogs stay out during the seedling stage.

Now I have 2' tall habaneros in a wood frame that is 8' x 4' x 1'. During our last killer freeze, I threw a quilt over them, the other pepper bed being my priority. The tops and sides of the Habaneros froze, everywhere they came in contact with the cover. I need to figure out some way of elevating the sides and ends so they are protected through the upcoming onslaught of frigid weather, now four days out.

They have just started to change color. If I had two more weeks, I could get plenty of mature ones.

There's no time or money to put hoops up. I will have to rely on found objects to develop a structure. I used all my spare T-posts on the other peppers. Any ideas?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Where I am it is electioneering season again. The square wire frames inside plastic yard signs (that candidates give out) make great "hoops" for putting covers over. I use 3 per bed to put plastic over. If you are doing something heavy like quilt, it would probably take 4. You can usually get them for free (especially right after an election, but probably now too).

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Stella,

How about a two folding card tables and drape your quilt over. Set them up at night and down during the day.

Eric

applestar
Mod

One spring, I used this kind of hammock stand (minus the hammock) with plastic sheeting to harden off seedlings:
[img]https://www.thehappyhammock.com/images/HammockStand-Hi%20Res.jpg[/img]

... Or ...

Can you get hogwire type fence paneling? Are your tomatoes still standing? Can you utilize the tomato cages? Some people have glass top metal patio tables....

Oh.. Rainbowgardener uses metal shelves wrapped in plastic sheeting for her spring transplants. A couple of those, perhaps on their sides on either side of the bed, and covered across the top with plastic sheeting....?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Are your tomatoes still standing? Can you utilize the tomato cages?
Tomato cages! Of course! All the other ideas are great, but this is perfect! I can squeeze a tomato cage in at the middle of each square of plants. If I set it in only a foot deep, it will give the plants plenty of roof. Thanks!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I buy fish aquariums at yard sales usually only $1 to $2 each. If they have a crack they are cheaper. An upside down fish aquarium makes a nice 1 plant green house. I find fish aquariums on craigslist too.

I collect free 5 gallon plastic buckets from construction sights. I cover my plants with buckets at night to protect them from frost. I remove the buckets if the temperature is above 37 degrees F.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”