plantlover1

Low growing evergreen hedge to border with Blue Rug Juniper

Need suggestions for a low growing evergreen ( preferably), to plant as border to blue rug Juniper. Needs to be hardy, tolerant of sunny location and drought tolerant.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not quite getting the picture of what you are looking for. The juniper IS low growing, prostrate ground cover, 6-8" high. Anything to be a border in front of that would have to be so small or flat as to be nearly invisible.

For summer you could pop some dwarf marigolds in front of it for contrast...

Creeping jenny is a very low perennial ground cover just a couple inches high. It has brilliant yellow foliage that would be a nice contrast and is very cold hardy, but it doesn't really like afternoon sun or drought and it isn't evergreen.

Candytuft (Iberis sempervirens) is a cold hardy evergreen ground cover for full sun, that gets covered in white flowers. But it gets a foot tall, so even though it is considered a low growing ground cover, it would be taller than your juniper and tend to hide/shade it.

The combination of things you are asking for is very difficult.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Okay so I got the idea that what you are looking for is a low-ish, like two foot, hedge BEHIND the juniper, not something in front of it.

Here's my thoughts:

Any traditional hedge plants would do for that. Boxwood is a good one and comes in dwarf varieties that wouldn't get too big. Burning bush also comes in dwarf varieties

https://www.greenwoodnursery.com/page.cfm/4703

and would be gorgeous contrast when it is in its fall color.

There's a golden juniper that is taller than your prostrate one also nice color contrast

here's a bunch of other ideas:

https://www.donnan.com/shrubs_evergreen.htm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Boxwood, yew, and arborvitae are all good for full sun locations, hardy at least to zone 5, and have dwarf varieties.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Blue rug are nice but I prefer Blue Pacific. The rugs really aren't that hardy of a juniper here in Charlotte, mine died off, but the pacific goes gang busters because they cover fast if planted correctly, actually they took over my liriope. HD carries them. Depending how much time you spend on maintenance, I detest boxwood, smell, and arborvitae. They do have dwarf nandina that is not the pest the standard is although they don't have the fruit in winter. How about heller holly or other varients or even dwarf burford, which will keep people away?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

any of this seeming helpful?

plantlover1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still trying to decide.

aaaeeerrr

I think the Quercus coccifera has all your requisitions at least here where I live it grows well

aaaeeerrr

wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_coccifera

here it grows about 2 meters tall

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”