i2ambler

Very young zucchini flowering.

I have two very young zucchini plants that I purchased as seedlings (with about 2 leaves each). Both plants were hardened slowly, and are now receiving the outdoor treatment. They are growing well and have about 5 leaves plus the seed leaves. These young plants are already in the beginning stages of flowering it seems! Is this normal? Should I pinch the flowers off, like I do to my peppers if they flower too early? The seed leaves are turning a little yellow too - which may mean not enough nutrients?

Thanks!

Sorry, I'm a newbie gardener, and these are my first squash.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hi, and welcome the The Helpful Gardener! I hope you stay around and continue to learn :D.

First of all, the yellowing of seed leaves is normal. This is because the only reason for the seed leaves is to nourish the plant until it is able to nourish itself. They usually fall of when the plant starts putting on its true leaves.

As for flowering, chances are, these are male flowers that will not be setting fruit, so you can probably leave them. With squash, they seem to put out quite a few male flowers before they eventually put out the females that produce fruit.

I hope this helped :).

i2ambler

garden5 wrote:Hi, and welcome the The Helpful Gardener! I hope you stay around and continue to learn :D.

First of all, the yellowing of seed leaves is normal. This is because the only reason for the seed leaves is to nourish the plant until it is able to nourish itself. They usually fall of when the plant starts putting on its true leaves.

As for flowering, chances are, these are male flowers that will not be setting fruit, so you can probably leave them. With squash, they seem to put out quite a few male flowers before they eventually put out the females that produce fruit.

I hope this helped :).
Very much, thanks! Whew. I figured the yellowing of seed leaves was normal - but I wanted to make sure. Being in florida - I'm worried a bit about overwatering, as it rains just a bit almost every day. Right now I only have jalapenos, serranos, poblanos, zucchini and a small herb garden. I'm going to put in some tomatoes this weekend, and would also love to plant some sugar snaps. Aug/Sept is prime planting time around these parts - since the sun wont absolutely fry the plants - and frost will be practically non-existant.

My wife has been hesitant about my starting gardening - but I am doing it for her as much as I am for myself since she is vegan. Once she has some zucchini picked straight from the garden - she will be hooked!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I'm a vegetarian too. I think you're right-she'll be eating the fruits of your labor and may even catch the gardening bug !
Are you going organic, I hope?

i2ambler

DeborahL wrote:I'm a vegetarian too. I think you're right-she'll be eating the fruits of your labor and may even catch the gardening bug !
Are you going organic, I hope?
Yes, I'm using bagged organic soil, and for fert I am using tomato tone, fish emulsion and coffee grounds.

Its supposed to absolutely pour today - so I may have to go home at lunch and move the plants indoors.

i2ambler

I have a question - should I freeze some of these male flowers when they develop in case I need them for pollination later? The plant is growing like crazy - one or two leaves unfurling each day - and is starting to look great! Each plant has around 5 small flowers that havent bloomed, and looks like 5 or 6 tiny leaves popping in. I'm shocked how fast this is growing. Tomato tone and fish emulsion works wonders! There are a few leafs that are infested with leaf miners - I have neemed it to prevent further infestation, hopefully. That stuff reeks! I managed to nip the leaf miners from the basil - and it is going strong.

My wife is really pleased with plants that smell like rotten fish and neem. haha.

Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”