TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Mister Stripey has failed :( [No, it's fruiting!!!!]

Along with the successful [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=223153#223153]tomatoes I planted on June 18th[/url], I also put in a Mister Stripey plant.

The plant itself is doing fine. It got to about 5' tall before I started tipping over and growing down (my cage was far too small), and it's got lots of lush, dark-green foliage.

It's got some flowers, but it has zero tomatoes. Not even one.

It's in the same plot as my other three varieties that are producing big tomatoes right now, so it's in the same soil with the same watering, same climate, same pests, etc. I fertilized the 4 plants once, about two months ago, and I originally planted them with some Miracle Gro garden soil, mixed about 50/50 with native clayey soil.

Does this variety mature later than the others? Or could something else be wrong?

edit: title updated.
Last edited by TheWaterbug on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

You didn't say what else you planted. Mr. Stripey is a beef steak type tomato, so it definately not an early type. It is about 80 days or so from transplant before you could expect to maybe find a ripe one, if that answers you question. Did you pinch out the suckers?

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

CharlieBear wrote:You didn't say what else you planted. Mr. Stripey is a beef steak type tomato, so it definately not an early type. It is about 80 days or so from transplant before you could expect to maybe find a ripe one, if that answers you question. Did you pinch out the suckers?
The other types are Cherokee Purple, Black Prince, and Roma.

The Cherokee Purple is a beefsteak, and I've gotten 5 good-sized ones so far.

I didn't do any pinching/pruning of any of the plants. The Stripey is the bushiest of the 4 plants, so maybe that's the problem.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Hmmm. Maybe I've just been over-watering. I turned the watering way down last week before my trip, and when I came back today I saw these:

[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/FirstStripeys_web.jpg[/img]

I hope they fill out a bit, but at least they're there.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Hah! I saw a glimpse of color _wayyyy_ inside the bush, and look what I pulled out!

[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/FirstStripey_web.jpg[/img]

My first Mr. Stripey!

It was _very_ ripe, so I'm going to eat it tonight.

The deeply ridged shape is odd, and nothing at all like what I see on the web when I google "Mr. Stripey".

Is that a sign of improper culture? Or some other pathology?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I assume you are talikng about the yellow red one in the middle. That is not Mr Stripey. Where did you get the seeds from. I would have to say that is a cross of something or a different tomatoe altogether. But with the colors I would go more with a cross. Are all the tomatoes fluted like that?

Save some seeds. Plant again next year. you may have somethig new.

By they way how do they taste?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I grew some tomatoes that looked like what you have. They were called ugly tomatoes! I got several about thet size! I originally got the seed from a giant eagle tomato called the ugly tomato and I started them myself!

soil
Greener Thumb

who cares what it is, it looks good, if it tastes good I would save some seed.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:I assume you are talikng about the yellow red one in the middle. That is not Mr Stripey. Where did you get the seeds from.
I bought this as a 4" plant from The Home Depot. I believe the brand was Bonnie, but I could be mistaken about that.

Tomorrow I'll try to remember to see if the little plastic ID stake is still in the ground under all that foliage. The ID tag definitely said Mr. Stripey, but that doesn't mean the original grower didn't get it wrong.

It's also possible that the tags got switched at Home Depot, though I didn't see any other varieties there that anything close to this color profile.

I also bought the Black Prince, Cherokee Purple (my present favorite), and my Roma plant from THD at the same time, and they're all "correct."
I would have to say that is a cross of something or a different tomatoe altogether. But with the colors I would go more with a cross. Are all the tomatoes fluted like that?

Save some seeds. Plant again next year. you may have somethig new.

By they way how do they taste?
Yes, all the fruit are fluted like that.

I didn't get a chance to try it last night, as someone had already sliced a beautiful CP for our burgers by the time I got home.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Well, someone (who shall remain nameless) ate the few that I'd photographed :roll:, but today I got to eat one.

It was great! Super sweet, and not acid at all! It tastes like it could be a "dessert" tomato!

They're all still fluted and relatively squat shaped--not beefsteak at all.

I'm also not getting a lot of production out of the plant, despite it's very large and bushy. My adjacent CP is starting to fade, foliage-wise, but it's still making about one tomato/day.

This Stripey is 5' away, same soil, same water, and it's making 1-2 per week.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”