genchan

Nutrient and root questions

1. Was at a local plant nursery and found a liquid fertiliser but was told it is not organic. The shop person then showed me an organic liquid fertiliser but its really expensive. I got thinking and was wondering if its possible to dilute vermicast (powder form) to use with hydroponic system. I read that organic fertiliser is more prone to instability than common liquid fertiliser. Please advice.

2. I have some planter boxes. They are rather shallow when compared to those storage boxes. I am wondering what kind of green vegetables are suitable for shallow boxes and what veges have long roots that are suitable for deeper storage boxes. Is there any links to information on length of roots for different types of veges?

Thanks.

wrench
Newly Registered

I don't know if you are still looking around... I have had great luck making my own brews for enhancement of root growth using "vermicast"... In my method I used 3 cups wormcasting, 1 cup ancient forest soil and some kelp nitrogen fertilizer......place ingredients in largepump bag and tie off... put in aereated bucket filled with non chlorinated water... let run for 1-2 days... nicefroth appears.. add about 2-3 ounces per gallon of water..

wrench
Newly Registered

everything I have read and tried says less about the size of the object you are growing in, it supports more the amount of air getting to the roots.. circulation and oxygen.... the main time root size becomes a problem is when the roots block the drains or slow the flow of water.. obviously the larger the top of the plant grows, the larger the roots will be to support it.. different mediums for growing seem to capture more of the root growth internally...

Dr. Worm

wrench wrote:everything I have read and tried says less about the size of the object you are growing in, it supports more the amount of air getting to the roots.. circulation and oxygen.... the main time root size becomes a problem is when the roots block the drains or slow the flow of water.. obviously the larger the top of the plant grows, the larger the roots will be to support it.. different mediums for growing seem to capture more of the root growth internally...
This! Take care of your roots and the plant will follow.

genchan

Thank you Wrench and Dr Worm.

Spoke to a guy who produces vermicast and he said that once the vermicast is soaked in water, it will only be effective for a day or two. Compared that to the conventional liquid fertilizer that only need a change every fortnight, its not very encouraging...

I wonder if there is anything that can be done to prolong the vermicast's effectiveness.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”