Ciara
Newly Registered

Saved a basil plant, now its dying.. please help?

Today, I saved a basil plant from my boss. She didnt want the basil to be visable to the customers so she had it inside the fridge over night. When I walked into the fridge this morning, the leaves were completly wilted and a bit shriveled with about 3 centimers of water inside its bucket. I had quickly placed it inside and out of the fridge, and drained the water. Now its about 3 hours later and its turned a lot of leaves shriveled and turned brown and some of the stems are also going brown on the bottom. Is there any way at all I can save this plant?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! :)

I would say it isn't likely the plant will live, but before I can offer a definite opinion, I would need more information. Was there something already wrong with the plant that made it unsightly? Otherwise, why hide it away? Basil doesn't survive temperatures below 40 degrees, and if the fridge you speak of is a commercial one in a restaurant or store, it probably is around 35 to 38 degrees.

Why was the soil flooded with water? Was that it's usual condition? Basil has fine roots that rot easily if the soil is kept too wet on a routine basis.

Based on the information you have provided, the plant was probably dying from root rot before it was ever placed in the fridge. If so, it's very unlikely it can be salvaged. Sorry. :(

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I would just put it in the sun for a few days and see what happens.

Ciara
Newly Registered

It was perfectly fine, she just didnt want customers to see it at all, I'm not sure why.. and the fridge is at about 10 degrees.. and her daughter said she put the water in because it kept wilting.

Today when I woke up, I checked on the plant, and now I'm pretty sure it's rotting. Some of the leaves have little white spots and one of the stems are turning brown and white one the bottom.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Basil isn't happy below 50, and really not happy under 40. Even putting cut basil in a baggie in frig under 40 can cause discoloring of leaves.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”