christurner291
Newly Registered

Chilli Plant Disaster ..!! PLEASE HELP !

Hi all I was gutted today to go into my greenhouse to find my normaly Healthy chilli plant looking like this ...
[img]https://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h444/saxo1990/Chilli%20plants/IMG_0109.jpg[/img]

What can I Do ? ive been watering every day and once a week a feed of tomato food ..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow.. something terrible happened to it...

Watering every day and feeding every week both sound like too much, but neither one should have done that to it. The watering every day could possibly have done that if the water wasn't draining away so the pot was standing in water.

But it looks like either some kind of wilt disease (over what period of time did it go from healthy to like in the picture?) or else it cooked in the greenhouse. (I assume it is too early for it to have been frost bitten.) Sometimes in direct sun an unventilated greenhouse can heat up intensely.

I'm not sure what its chances are at this point, but if you want to give it a recovery chance, I would water thoroughly and then be sure it is well drained and don't water again until the soil starts to dry out, more like once a week than every day. Don't fertilize any more unless/ until it starts to put out new growth. Be sure your greenhouse is well ventilated.

Maybe someone else will come along and say more about the disease possibilities, but knowing whether this happened in slo-mo or over night will help.

soil
Greener Thumb

looks like heat stress, our plants in the greenhouse get this type of deal this time of year, when its crazy hot in there. how does the soil feel? wet or dry?

christurner291
Newly Registered

soil is wet not water logged but damp

christurner291
Newly Registered

o and it has been looking a bit sad now and then a few leafs going like this then suddenly the whole lot :S

soil
Greener Thumb

check the stems for any discoloring and or scarring. mostly near the base. also give the plant a small tug upwards from the base, see how well anchored the roots are. they might be rotting away.

christurner291
Newly Registered

this is how the stem looks ...

sorry bout the low q photo

[img]https://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h444/saxo1990/Chilli%20plants/IMG_0114.jpg[/img]

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I have had this happen to several of my peppers (especially hot ones) and it seemed to be over watering for me, they were in pots and they seemed to get so much water and could not dry out. I never have this problem in the ground - only pots, I have tried everything and now when we get bad rain storms (FLROIDA every day) I move the pots - it seems once they get to that point there is no coming back. I have even tried re-potting to dry the soil out, cleaning roots (don't ask) and I could never get them back to life. Good Luck

soil
Greener Thumb

yea hold the plant sideways and pull out the plant gently to check the roots. they should be white or slightly yellow. brown and black, not so good.

christurner291
Newly Registered

I repotted it yesterday and under the top level of soil it was completely water loged so I'm sure that it was watering to much thats done this :(
the roots were a white/yellow more on the yellow side is there a chance then that it may recover , I had a scotch bonnet plant that went the same way and not had completely died and doped all its fruit as well as leaves

soil
Greener Thumb

so did the pot not have drain holes or what?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”