Halfway
Green Thumb

One Big Better then...

...fizzle. I now have another half dozen on this particular plant, but it seams that my early bird stunted the others. I should be sitting on a mound of semi-red at this point. :shock:

While hardening, I had to keep them inside for almost a week as the storms rolled through. Since I no longer had room under the lights, I think the dismal gray prematurely triggered a few of these plants into their early blooms.

I think I should have plucked them immediately??

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

when you say you should have lots turning red by now- did you plant them out as early as other years? Has the weather been about the same as other years? If you planted out later, then it will take that much longer for most of them to ripen. Date to general ripening is from set out. If it has been much hotter than usual then they stopped because of the heat breaking down the licopene. They could be ripening as we speak since tomatoes ripen from the inside out. Most everyone's tomaotes are later this year due to weather etc. I know mine are just now starting to take off and some of the early determinates haven't ripened at all yet.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Thanks Charlie, these were started indoors under lights in February and were very strong. During the week of hardening, the weather turned sour and stayed overcast (heavy) for about 5 days.

It was then that a few flowers appeared and those actually went ripe in early June. I think I should have pulled them (blossoms) as soon as they appeared?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”