bichocanasto

Hi from South Florida!

:D Hi HG!
I've been very busy with my hands on the ground and surfing South Florida websites for more info!

Even though I am far from being the 'fundi' you are :) , I am a little more comfortable and happier with what I have learnt about this area so far.

I'm still learning from the Floridata site I mentioned before (they have a brand new forum which is still a baby but I hope it will grow like this one), plus I got a couple of books specific to this area, which are very practical. It's good to be able to relate to what I read and see it happening in my garden and my neighbourhood.

I'm still busy with my backyard 'project'... So far, I have planted in my shady area a Lakeview Jasmine, a Persian Shield, an Arboricola, a Dombeya x Seminole, a Shrimp plant, A Dwarf Powderpuff, and Green Mountain. And I still have quite a bit of space left...

I have planted these alongside the fence and under the shade of the neighbour's Sapodilla trees and our large Mango. For now, I just want to have a nice row of various (preferably flowering) shrubs, that will grow no more than 6ft. I like the eclectic look! :D
Of course, at this point it looks rather empty, as the plants are quite small and there's space to grow. Patience...! 8)

Grey
Greener Thumb

Welcome - I haven't been here long either. I grew up in S. Florida (Boca Raton) and just moved to GA from central FL (Tampa).

I found the BEST book for gardening in FL is "Month by Month Gardening in Florida." I gave my copy to our buyer in FL, so I no longer have it. But it gives you everyting from annuals and perrenials to veggies and herbs and lawns and pest control - all divided individually by month - when to plant, when to water more, when to prune - it's awesome.

bichocanasto

Thanks for the tip. Someone mentioned that book before and it looks good, I just wish it had some pics too, as it helps to visualize it in your garden.

I got to this forum a couple of months ago, looking for info, and even though these are mostly northern gardeners, they know their stuff and I am still learning from them. Since then, I found a few South Florida sites which answered my questions regarding this area. I am happy with two books by Pamela Crawford, with specific plants for zones 9-11, lots of pics and practical info. She has tested the plants herself, so her comments also come from first-hand experience. I also have The Art of South Florida Gardening by Harold Songdhal, which is excellent.

Good luck in GA! Don't you miss the sticky Floridian heat? :lol:

Grey
Greener Thumb

Miss the Floridian heat???
HECK NO!!!
It's May and my highs are somewhere around 70 (higher or lower) and my nights are in the 40s. I love it.
My hubby is still in FL, finishing out the school year (he's a teacher). First thing he said upon coming here last time was how nice it was to be out of that humidity. You know people here think it's humid? HA!

I am having to learn gardening all over again. Almost from scratch. I don't mind tho - the plant varieties here are really something to admire.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Lucky dog, Grey; I live to learn new ecotypes and the gardening that goes on there...

bhavna
Newly Registered

bichocanasto wrote:Thanks for the tip. Someone mentioned that book before and it looks good, I just wish it had some pics too, as it helps to visualize it in your garden.

I got to this forum a couple of months ago, looking for info, and even though these are mostly northern gardeners, they know their stuff and I am still learning from them. Since then, I found a few South Florida sites which answered my questions regarding this area. I am happy with two books by Pamela Crawford, with specific plants for zones 9-11, lots of pics and practical info. She has tested the plants herself, so her comments also come from first-hand experience. I also have The Art of South Florida Gardening by Harold Songdhal, which is excellent.

Good luck in GA! Don't you miss the sticky Floridian heat? :lol:
hi,
I live in Delray Beach :) Can you tell me the web address for the florida site you are talking about please?
thank you, Bhavna

bichocanasto

Hi Bhavna!
I'm glad you posted as it's been a year since I posted here, having gone through a pregnancy and now caring for my baby girl, I had lost the link!

Look into this website: floridata.com which I've found most useful. A bit disappointed about the forum, but the info is good.
I have a few other websites, but I'll post them later.

bhavna
Newly Registered

bichocanasto wrote:Hi Bhavna!
I'm glad you posted as it's been a year since I posted here, having gone through a pregnancy and now caring for my baby girl, I had lost the link!

Look into this website: www.floridata.com which I've found most useful. A bit disappointed about the forum, but the info is good.
I have a few other websites, but I'll post them later.
congratulations on your new baby :!: :D How old is she now?
enjoy her, she'll be grown up before you know it :)
best wishes,
Bhavna

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”