vote away

Poll ended at Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:55 am

trunk spliter
No votes
graver
No votes

Total votes: 0
gbhunter77

Trunk Splitter or a Graver: Which Should I Buy?

I have some of the basic tools. And as to my previous post I showed the "damaged" shears to a bonsai expert and he told me that these types of scraches are difficult to avoid and as long as the blade stays sharp there is noti.g to worry about. But if I'm OCD about it(and I am) to get a wet stone and take them out slowly... Anyway I..the question is. I have to pick between getting a trunk spliter or a graver. Given that I work on trees smaller than one inch in diamater(I don't like the large.trunks..even though I bought one since the people in my club were talking me into it...not proud of myself for that its soppsed to. be art not a show of trunk envy)...ahem sorry I ramble. Which of the two would be beter for a person only one year into the hobby. The spliter or graver? And why?

TomM
Greener Thumb

Ha - I will refrain from this vote.

Reason why? I have been doing bonsai for 8 years and I don't have either tool.

You can save your bucks and 'wait til you really need them' too. 8)

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Do you already have concave cutters? If not, I'd buty those instead. If so, and you're looking to invest in a tool to do some "artistic damage", I would suggest either a dremel or an X-Acto woodworking kit over either of your proposed tools. Like Tom, though maybe a little longer, I've never had occasion to use either tool.

froggy

With 1" trunks, there isn't exactly much to split, or carve.... Have you got a project in mind, or is this a case of 'tool envy'? :P

Personally I love my dremel, my trees aren't large enough to meet with it yet though.

gbhunter77

These ate wonderfull suggestions. I do have a nice concave cutter.
I will refrain from buying the tools till they are needed. I thought of a trunk bender but in most cases I.can do it with wire. Prrhaps a turn table?

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

got my turn table from ikea

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If I was suffereing from either afluenza, or tool envy, and needed needed to lighten my wallet further, and didn't have a turn table. I'd get the turn table first.

Said he who has used daughters pottery wheel when she was not looking.

"Buy big", or "buy twice".

TomM
Greener Thumb

tomc - I like your expression "affluenza" :roll: - funny :P

But practically speaking I do think that when someone is getting serious about 'serious' bonsai a decent turntable is a good tool to have. Get one with a brake and add eye screws around the outer edge for straps. Also get some wedges or rice pouches for tilting your trees to different angles. You'll have lots of fun with future bonsai projects. $$$ well spent.

I'm ready for my next "tool envy" purchase now that my collection includes some serious material. It's been a good year. I would like a dremel and I should start doing more carving. Have been enjoying jin carving with basic whittling tools. But I'm ready for the next step up. Before Winter sets in I need to get into dremel grinding. 8)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

For me a turn table isn't a luxury. Other not-on-topic health issues makes using daughters pottery wheel on lend-lease an important tool.

It being a kick-wheel has human foot-powered brakes.

I made-do in Henniker NH with a simple round table.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”