Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

African violet soil for which cactus.Help appreciatted.

I can't remember where I read it, but it said to use african violet soil for some cactus. :?: Which ones, does anyone know :?:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Maybe an epiphyte, such as a holiday cactus? Didn't we have a discussion about them needing an organic medium with a coarse structure that would ensure rapid drainage? I seem to recall someone mentioning mixing something like coir or orchid bark (is that what it's called ... the stuff orchids are grown in?) with either regular potting mix or cactus mix. You might find the thread by using the Forum Search function. I can look for it tomorrow evening, but you probably will have found it by then.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:shock: Ok, now I need to go buy some orchid soil. Wal-mart actually has some in. I haven't seen them sell orchid soil before. So I think getting a couple of bags to keep on hand might be a good idea. I did buy african voilet soil, at least I have it on hand anyway. :roll: I remember the discussion, I just don't remember what plant it was about. Thanks so much Kisal, I will try :oops: and find it.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:oops: Kisal, I can't seem to find it under that section :?: Do you have any idea where it might be :?:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sorry! I was very tired and went to bed early. :oops:

Could it have been [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173207#173207]this thread[/url]? I just skimmed through it quickly, but we did discuss a number of ideas about potting mixes.

One thing to remember is that African violets like soil on the acidic side, whereas most cacti prefer an alkaline pH. Epiphytes grow in coarse organic material that collects in the crotches of trees, and that would tend to be more acidic. Epiphytes are often called cacti, as in "Christmas cactus", but they aren't actually cacti. I don't think I would ever recommend African violet potting mix for any kind of true cactus, so it must have been someone else who suggested it to you. Sorry I can't be of help to you on this subject. :(

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:oops: Kisal, thank you for looking. Maybe I'm tipping, :roll: wouldn't surprise me on that one :!: :!: I must have read it on another site, now to figure out where. :?: :?: Those christmas cactus cuttings are starting to root. So happy about that. :D At least after looking at that discussion, if I get some orchid soil, while they have it now, I will have it in stock. Sometimes some of this soil is not available. I haven't seen orchid soil anywhere until now. When I went to get african violet soil, I had to get it at Home Depot, Wal-Mart was all sold out. Sometimes even perlite, and vermiculite is hard to find certain times of the year in the stores. Does everbody have stocks of various types of soil etc. they keep on hand :?: Thanks again Kisal, your'e always so helpful. :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I maintain a supply of the various potting mixes and amendments that I regularly use. I store a couple of bags of cactus/succulent mix, a couple of bags of African violet mix, a couple of bags of standard potting mix, and a couple of bags of perlite. (These are small bags, maybe 6 quarts each?). I keep the opened bags in my utility room and the "extras" out in the garage.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:) Kisal, that sounds like my house. All sorts of different types of soil, perlite, vermiculite, cactus soil, african violet soil now, and will be getting some orchid mix. Looks like a garden centre, lol. Then various types of pots etc. This hobby can get a bit expensive at times. But I love this hobby plus the people that also enjoy it, are all so friendly and helpful. :D

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”